Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the paint system before. But never used the floor pan repair.

I found some rusted through portions near the tailgate on the drivers side.
It is right above the filler neck. I will not be welding it.

I am trying to keep this project from spiraling into a frame off resto. I have a bad habit of taking something apart and end up replacing everything else while I am in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
JB weld it - then paint & move on. Assuming you dont want to cut out the rust.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,508 Posts
I also feel the above would work.
The POR15 would work too but likely will not keep the rust away there if its already that far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well what if he took it down to bare metal on both sides and used a screenwire to help hold it in place.Smooth it out, Then put por 15 on it. I,d try that and later on check it and see how it is doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what if he took it down to bare metal on both sides and used a screenwire to help hold it in place.Smooth it out, Then put por 15 on it. I,d try that and later on check it and see how it is doing.

Sort of what their floor pan repair kit does. It looks like epoxy with a fiberglass mesh.

You epoxy in the holes, sand it til it is even with the floor pan. Then lay down the mesh and use the por 15 over it.

I have not used it. I have had success with the por 15 paint. I have faith in that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had very similar looking issue when I redid my rear int. panels last fall. I just wire wheeled it, good enough, then rattle can black over. I think some pics are in my build thread. It was kinda a shit job, well see how long it lasts. Those parts of the floor were just too far gone to waste a lot of time on them and I really was focused on the panels - I patted myself on the back for handling it somewhat instead of just pretending I didn't see it and laying the rubber mat back down(like you just found a dead opossum or something) - I've done that before...
I'll probably be digging in that area anyway to jack with the fuel tank this spring if I go EFI.

not to hijack, but I have similar issue in front of the rear bench. I'm thinking about trying something, tell me if you guys think it will work. using white vinegar to pull out the rust. I tried this on the Roll bar Brackets and bolts and had mediocre results.. BUT it was super simple and cheap. I think it would have done better if the temp had been warmer instead of mid 50s and high humidity.

So in the Rear, between the front and rear seats, I'm thinking of when its gets nice and warm, soak some old towels with white vinegar and lay them on the floor. Remove the rear seat and top and let it air out and see how much it pulls out. Anyone tried this before, what were the results?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't tried vinegar. I have used naval jelly. It converts and coats the rust. It is supposed to stop further rusting. But I would not trust it for long term repair.

Until the rust is cut out, or encapsulated, it just going to keep spreading.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
754 Posts
Naval jelly turns rust to iron oxide (I believe) so wire wheel, naval jelly, then paint that seals it from oxygen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts