Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i start this, please leave the "chevy vs. ford" stuff at the door, we all know both manuf. have their ups and downs, so no bias' just because this is a ford site please ;)...

ok here goes, i have the opportunity to trade my bronco for a 4x4 chevy, its newer, and "nicer" in some respects, here is the facts of both vehicles:

BRONCO:
1980, 78K miles on the odo, but it could be 178K at the same time, doors don't lock, small crack in windshield, very minor rust (just a lil bubbling of paint, NO holes), windsheild leaks VERY little, only if snow is like sitting on it for a day or so, rear window doesn't seal all the way, kinda janky interior, doesn't have stereo (speakers but no HU), pretty much NO options, couple of the gauges don't work... here goes the good, i just got done replacing the brake booster, tie-rod endlinks, both front rotors, one front caliper saddle, new brake pads, BRAND NEW tires (good year longtrails, 31"), freshly aligned, all new plugs, new cap and rotor, new air filter, new rear U-joint, around 1500 in total put into this truck on top of the 1900 that i originally paid for it... only problem i can still see with it is it MIGHT have a head gasket leak, a VERY small one, there is just a little bit of milky oil, but not enough to make a difference... all in all my bronc is a good truck, its just old, it drives VERY straight now that all the front end work was done to it and new tires...

CHEVY:
1990, 4x4, not sure if its a 305 or a 350, but its a V8, 3" lift, newer tires, windsheild visor, tail light covers, aftermarket looking grille, and bumpers, hardshell tauno cover thing with the gas struts, 4x4 recently serviced and all works great with it, very little rust, no rust holes, nerf bars, but the driver side one is rotted and fell off... and the kicker, the OD is dead in it, you can put it in D and it works just fine, but try to put it in OD and it grinds, they have been driving the truck just fine and it drives fine, just won't go into over drive, i know i can get this problem fixed for 800 bucks, but i'm not to worried about it at this exact moment because i don't do that much highway driving and on the off chance i had to make a long distance trip i have other vehicles i COULD do it in...

basically, my bronco is an OLD truck and has its janky'ness for being old, and the chevy is newer, and isn't so janky, both are nice trucks, but i think the chevy has more of what i'm looking for at this moment because it is newer, and it might have a higher resale... and the trade is straight up, bronco AS it stands, for the chevy AS it stands, no money or anything else...

what do you guy's think? and like mentioned above, please try and leave the chevy vs ford out of it, i want HONEST opinions based on mechanical condition and things like that ;)...

thanks for any input,
james

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
You're just asking for it man...That's a bad question to ask on a Bronco site..Personally, there is no way ini hell I would ever trade my Bronco in for a Chevy 4x4..I don't care what condition the Bronco is in. Plus, trading it in on a Chevy that is 12 years old?? Why bother. Put the money into the Bronco, you'll be much happier in the end.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
It looks like you already have your mind made up, buy the Chevy and keep the Bronco for a woods/trail rig. Both have their pros and cons. The Bronco ..well it's a Bronco, what else can be said? The Chevy should be EFI, get the O/D fixed if you get it. If it grinds that means metal to metal and that's no good.

Good luck!

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
well do waht ya want to do but yoiiu are getting ready to trade straight across for a truck that you are going to have to put 800 bucks into right from the start. for around 30 -50 bucks ya can get the gaskets and fix the head gasket problem.. anyway just my .02

p.s. i pick up my 76 chevy scottsdale later on today 4x2

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
JHew84 said:
but i think the chevy has more of what i'm looking for at this moment because it is newer, and it might have a higher resale...
bnkrtstk said:
It looks like you already have your mind made up
:stupid You already know what you wanna do, you just want one of us to agree...hell it's your shit, if ya want it...go for it...Jermil01 is right...you prolly won't get much support for the idea here cause most of us could never part with our rigs (not on those terms at least). Just do what you think is right dude! :beer Good luck either way! :chili:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why does the chevy owner want your bronco? Whats up with that if the chevy is that much better why are they trading it for you bronco thats ten years older.

Broncos :rockon

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
i want to know the exact definitino of jankyness?!?

wes

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
blazers are kickass, just as cool as broncos IMO. if you can get the tranny fixed for that little and everything else is solid, i would go for it. especially if its a 350. you can fix up that blazer for pretty cheap and it already has a straight axle front, even tho its a 10 bolt chevy. get the blazer and start saving for a front 44 and a rear 14 bolt. you can get them to flex pretty damn good too.

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
i read some where that chevy stopped putting the 350 in there trucks some time in the 90's and started putting the 305 in the truck, so if i were you i would double check with casting numbers for the engine size

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gearrat is right about checking the engine.The 5.0 had a soft cam.If the miles are getting up in the 100,000 mile range,the cam is probably on the way out.You also want to know what tranny is in the Chevy.I believe the swap from the 700r4 to the 4l60/80e came in the early 90's.If it is the 700r4 the tranny is weak at best,and a conversion to the beefier tranny is not feasable unless you can get a complete donor truck including the wiring and the ecm.See if the motor smokes when it is first started after sitting overnight.Smoke would indicate leaking valve seals and additional costs.What type of driving is this going to be for?If it is mainly offroad your best bet is to stick with the Bronc.Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
I'd be asking myself...why is this guy willing to trade staight across giving up ten yrs on a vehicle of no collector value?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
gearrat said:
i read some where that chevy stopped putting the 350 in there trucks some time in the 90's and started putting the 305 in the truck, so if i were you i would double check with casting numbers for the engine size
my dads 89 has a 350 and so did the 91 blazer that the fire department used to have:shrug

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Jayrus said:
Gearrat is right about checking the engine.The 5.0 had a soft cam.If the miles are getting up in the 100,000 mile range,the cam is probably on the way out.You also want to know what tranny is in the Chevy.I believe the swap from the 700r4 to the 4l60/80e came in the early 90's.If it is the 700r4 the tranny is weak at best,and a conversion to the beefier tranny is not feasable unless you can get a complete donor truck including the wiring and the ecm.See if the motor smokes when it is first started after sitting overnight.Smoke would indicate leaking valve seals and additional costs.What type of driving is this going to be for?If it is mainly offroad your best bet is to stick with the Bronc.Good luck with whatever you decide.
AFAIK, the 4L60E is just an electronic version of the 700R4. the switch was later (mid to late 90s i think). the 700R4 is a good tranny. its better than most automatic overdrives. the really early ones were the ones with problems, but my dad has 190,000 on his 350/700R4 combo and perfect. the valve guides leak a little, but overall, its a super clean strong running combo.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol i think a few ppl are suffering from "not reading the entire post" syndrom :p lol jk guys ;).... i'll try and answer the questions as best i can...

jermil01: i realize i am asking a bunch of ford guys if i should trade my ford for a chevy, but in all honesty, i respect most if not all of the ppl on FSB and your opinions, and i also know most of the "its a chevy" comments are just in jest, because its not like ALL chevy's are shit, and you guys know it ;)...

davids78bronco: thats what i was thinking, since everything else with the truck seems really solid (i'd have a mechanic look it over prior to trade tho)

bnkrtstk: i do and i don't... i LOVE my bronco, i garuntee you i will own another one at some point, but mine is just so old, and it has recently become my DD, door locks dont work so i can't leave anything of value in it, i'm scared to have a CD player... if this was gonna be my trail rig, it would be PERFECT, which is what i bought it for, but now that its become a DD, its just not everything i wanted in a DD, a newer bronco would be, just not this particular one :p lol... the chevy is EFI, which is another sale point for me, cus waiting for my cold blooded monster to warm up is a pain in the ass when i'm late for work/class lol...

1982bronco: no pics yet, if i can i will take some tho, its a green color (pretty sharp lookin)

gearrat: ya i hear that, i dunno if i would get the OD fixed right away tho, cus i wouldn't really be takin this truck on the highway all that often if at all, since most of my driving is in town or 10 minute highway trips... and the resale value of a 90 truck as compared to a 80 was my justification for the pricey repair bill :p... and congrats on the new rig man, sounds like it will be a blast :beer

Blaze: nah, i don't really "want" you guys to agree, i honestly want some outside opinions on this, like i said above i value the opinions of ppl i respect, and i have nothing but respect for the FSB community, if you guys made GOOD arguments as to why this chevy would be a TERRIBLE truck as compared to my bronco, i would take that into SERIOUS consideration when thinking about this trade... thanks for the support :beer

3fords: more insight into the story, its my aunt and uncles chevy, my cousin bought it and they took over the payments when he couldn't afford it, they don't really drive it that much, i think ONLY when 4 wheel drive is required, and the fact that it lacks OD is a big factor to them apparently and they don't want to spend anymore money on it, they don't like the fact that its lifted (hard to get into it), and other little things like that... they only really seemed to be concerned with the fact that my bronco ran and had 4 wheel drive lol... and yes, i concur, broncos :rockon (like said above, i WILL own another someday, even if i don't trade this one right now, i love broncos)

WES: jankyness: holes in the dash, lacking a radio of ANY sort and having a big hole in the dash where it should be, dash lights that work half the time ;), wipers that are controlled by an on/off toggle switch, more squeeks than a... chevy? :p ;) lol, no dome light, heat controls off track (if i want it to be on the warm or cold i have to adjust from the engine bay), gear indicator doesn't work, speedo needle bounces around :p... um... i'm probly leaving some "jankyness" out, but that is all i can think of right now lol... and for the record, jankyness is JUST fine, but for my DD i'd rather not have so much of it, on a trail rig, bring the jankyness on :rockon :chili: ...

Andy351: andy, you crack me up man lol, it aint a blazer, its a 4x4 truck... i shoulda gone a lil bit more into detail tho i guess... its a regular cab, shortbox, stepside...

gearrat & Jayrus: ya, i will be finding out for sure whether or not its a 305 or 350, cus i don't really wanna go from a 351W to a 305 :(, you wouldn't happen to know the casting numbers? if not its cool, i'll just cruise some chevy forums and find'em... and i know ALL about the 700r4, my buddy has a 88 chevy with it, and its taking a dump on him and we learned REAL quick how much everyone hates that transmission lol, and also how rare it is and hard to find in 2 wheel drive, let alone 4x4... we found a few places that have the better transmissions...

i guess the biggest selling point for me on this deal would be the fact that the chevy IS 10 years newer, and its EFI, already lifted (as much as i'd love to lift the bronco, i can't afford the downtime it would take to do it)...

thank you very much for all the input, PLEASE keep it coming, any thoughts you have on this are very appreciated, i wouldn't have posted this but i am REALLY stuck, because i do love the bronco, but this chevy seems real nice as well...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NOBS! said:
I'd be asking myself...why is this guy willing to trade staight across giving up ten yrs on a vehicle of collector value?
i should have posted this originally but had a lot of things running through my head while posting, but it would be a trade within the family, and my aunt/uncle don't really drive this truck all that often, like posted above, and all the other little things about it, my bronco is at stock height, not sitting on 33's anymore, and everything mechanically works great on it now, minus the headgasket (which would be replaced before trade, most likely)...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts