Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,808 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that some thought. I know Eagle does make a 8-hole bullet hole style wheel, but I thought the holes are bigger like Pro Comp and M/T. I prefer the non-polished look of those unknown wheels, but I like the bigger holes on the polished ones. Six of one, half dozen of the other...

My main reason for looking to switch to 15x10, as long as I'm considering different wheels, is it's a better width for my tires. I bought my General Grabber AT2's at Discount Tire, and they list the rim width range as 7.5" to 11", so my 15x8's just squeak by. However, I noticed recently when looking something up that General lists it as 8.5" to 11":

Either Discount Tire had it wrong (I've seen lots of tire weight discrepancies), or General updated the specs. Either way, 10" would obviously be better, being in the middle of the range. (Oddly, that chart also shows 33x12.5's as the only 15" tire with a 35 psi max. I've always thought it to be a crazy low max, but now I'm wondering if it's a typo on their part that has trickled down to all the distributors. All the other 15's are a more sensible 44-50 psi. Even the DT tech when I had a screw hole plugged was surprised that he had overinflated at 45 psi.)
These are "polished" just not shiney because they have been sitting outside for 6 years. The PO put em on around 2003. They also list a max psi of 60, higher than any 15" tire ive seen.

I run the 10plys on my 08 f350 at 52 psi. The 10 plys (reason I went to 16s) on my bronco are at 45 psi I believe.

Reactions: fodder

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that some thought. I know Eagle does make a 8-hole bullet hole style wheel, but I thought the holes are bigger like Pro Comp and M/T. I prefer the non-polished look of those unknown wheels, but I like the bigger holes on the polished ones. Six of one, half dozen of the other...

My main reason for looking to switch to 15x10, as long as I'm considering different wheels, is it's a better width for my tires. I bought my General Grabber AT2's at Discount Tire, and they list the rim width range as 7.5" to 11", so my 15x8's just squeak by. However, I noticed recently when looking something up that General lists it as 8.5" to 11":

Either Discount Tire had it wrong (I've seen lots of tire weight discrepancies), or General updated the specs. Either way, 10" would obviously be better, being in the middle of the range. (Oddly, that chart also shows 33x12.5's as the only 15" tire with a 35 psi max. I've always thought it to be a crazy low max, but now I'm wondering if it's a typo on their part that has trickled down to all the distributors. All the other 15's are a more sensible 44-50 psi. Even the DT tech when I had a screw hole plugged was surprised that he had overinflated at 45 psi.)

eagle is no longer in business sadly

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,597 Posts
eagle is no longer in business sadly
Sad, indeed. My first wheel purchase on my first non-junker car in college was Eagle 5-stars from a local tire shop chain. They were great until the chrome started bubbling and pitting, and causing constant problems with the seal. Maybe that's why I hate polished aluminum wheels ... because they look like chrome ... which is the dumbest thing ever on a wheel.

I did end up ordering a set of Pro Comp 69's yesterday. I may try sanding down the clear coat on my spare and see if I can get a brushed look and/or use some silver wheel paint. The one thing I never quite liked about it is how shiny it is, but being on the back it's not that big of a deal. All the pictures I've looked at of Pro Comp 69's on Broncos, the shininess looks out of place. (I considered the black version, but they lose all detail in most lighting conditions, due to the concave shape.) I love the look other than that, so a bit of elbow grease may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
yeah i had a set i just used some kind of cleaner on it made them look good but not ungodly shiny. i hate black wheels on most stuff even though my dodge has them but they did when i bought it and they are machined and black. i really prefer the old school look of some of the eagle wheels. the classic truck 4x4 wheels are almost obsolete and all you see is crazy mall crawler bs now.

Reactions: fodder

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
i hate black wheels on most stuff even though my dodge has them but they did when i bought it and they are machined and black.
It only works with certain wheel designs, IMO. Black requires more open space to be visible, and a straighter "spoke" face seems to help catch the light. Concave bullet hole wheels in black are just a black hole, literally and figuratively.

I considered the similarly designed M/T Baja Lock in black, as the polished lip at least sets it off from the tire. But, the fake bead lock machining starts toeing the Mall Crawler line...

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
In a sign, and anti-sign, of the times, the new wheels arrived ahead of schedule. I called Discount Tire to schedule an appointment to swap the tires over to the Pro Comp's, and was floored by what they're charging now. When I bought the General Grabbers from them ~3 years ago, dismount/mount/balance was $64. Now it's $136.

Lessons learned/confirmed: 1) supply chain issues are only an excuse for when people don't feel like working, and 2) everyone is price gouging several times beyond the historic inflation rates of 7-8%.

Hopefully, I hear back from my old source for used tire work, and he can fit me in... I'm not paying someone $200/hr to run a tire machine, and have to sit there for 2 hrs while they double book every appointment window.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I paid around $90 for NTB to mount and balance loose 35s to loose rims last summer. Nothing getting cheaper. Good luck finding a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Thats not really a bad price, we charge 25 a tire to mount and balance car tires, light truck tires are about 35 a piece and anything over 35”your looking at about $40 or $45. That includes mount and balance and new valve stems where applicable. Although when we price new tires we price them to include mount and balance. You know why the prices for mounting have gone up? Have you priced a tire machine lately? How about tire glue, patches, valve stems Or wheel weights? Those increased costs is what forces us to raise prices. Is it really worth saving $30-40 bucks by having a hole in the wall tire shop mount your tires only to scratch a rim or hammer on a glob of weights in the wrong spot. They probably only charged $60 3 years ago because you bought the tires from them, since your not buying another set that's why the mounting charge is higher, its just as if you brought them tires to mount that you bought somewhere else. If you don't think there is a supply issue go to the grocery store, or go try to find rotella 15w40. There are tons of wix xp oil filters that we cant get and have to use either mobil one or k&n filters when they are available. There are certain regular wix filters that arent avaible and we have to use different brand filters if they are available, certain diesel truck oil and fuel filters are taking use a few days to get.

ill make you a deal, you drive to southeastern Tn and ill mount and balance them for $20 a piece lol

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Interesting. Well, I heard back from my guy and he charged me the same $80 (plus $10 for new valve stems) the other place I called while waiting on him quoted me. He apologized for it being that much, saying wide rims make it tougher, but it was still under an hour of work. Nothing about the time involved reflects any increased costs of doing business, and I'm sure most of the tire machines in use three years ago are still in use. I think he can put food on the table at that hourly rate.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,808 Posts
Local shop charged i think 120 pre covid when buying 5 35's from them. Even more local, small town service station put 4 32's on for 100 at the beginning of covid. New stems, tire disposal, etc included. He just cant do over 33 or 35's. He liked the irok nd's i took him. Btw, the station is still full service, with the bell that rings when you pull in, and gas pumps that have physical dials and a handle that goes in the side of the pump. I give him all the tire business i can.

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
^ Those prices seem in line with what I paid. $100 with new stems and old tire disposal is probably $80 for just the mounting and balancing. That's a far cry from the $145+ Discount Tire probably would have been with new stems, since that usually isn't included in the quote.

Generally speaking, any business that can work at full customer capacity these days (i.e., not restaurants and entertainment industries) is seeing record profits. They're all price gouging like crazy, using supply chain costs as an excuse to pad their margins. I've got business owner friends who complain about their rising costs, and having to charge 30% more to account for them, but overlook that they're bringing in more than ever as a result. If you break down the math, using a simple example ... 10% increase on each cost is still 10% profit at the top if you only increase your prices 10%. The only exception is if some of those cost increases compound.

Anyway, back to the topic... Early impressions of the Pro Comp 69's are very positive. I can turn tight enough now to nearly do low-speed accidental donuts. (Will have to update the radius arm thread.) The same tires on 15x10's feel way different than they did on 15x8's. Much more planted, probably due to the ~3" wider track, but they also feel more firm.

I weighed one of the Pro Comps at 18 lb 6 oz without the center cap, which adds 6 oz. So, well below Amazon's 20 lb shipping estimate for 15x10. I'm not sure how M/T weighs their wheel for the ~19 lb figure, with or without center cap, but the high end for the Pro Comp would be 18.75 lbs with center cap. So, it's possible the PC's actually are lighter and the M/T's get their higher load rating by being beefed up a bit.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
BTW, when I bought my General Grabbers from Discount Tire, they wanted I think $20 to dispose of the old tires. That's double the actual disposal cost, assuming they don't get an even better rate for bulk. I declined and put them up for sale for $40 (?) and sold them quickly. Extra services are like extended warranties ... only offered because it's in the business' best interest overall.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,808 Posts
Generally speaking, any business that can work at full customer capacity these days (i.e., not restaurants and entertainment industries) is seeing record profits. They're all price gouging like crazy, using supply chain costs as an excuse to pad their margins. I've got business owner friends who complain about their rising costs, and having to charge 30% more to account for them, but overlook that they're bringing in more than ever as a result. If you break down the math, using a simple example ... 10% increase on each cost is still 10% profit at the top if you only increase your prices 10%. The only exception is if some of those cost increases compound
Not all...

Yes a 10% cost increase does increase overall profit. But only if you can sell it. When BM raises prices on the 31st, a particular oil based trim enamel will top $100 per gallon retail. A quart of our better spackling is $28. 2" blue 3m masking tape is cresting $20 a roll. Its outrageous.

12 to 18 sales a day right now isnt what i call record profits... Barely keeping the doors open. With the trend over the last 2 years being lots of home renovations, we have done okay, but not better than prior years.

Of course thats when we can even get the paint to sell...

Sorry, rant over

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Not all...
Yes a 10% cost increase does increase overall profit.
12 to 18 sales a day right now isnt what i call record profits... Barely keeping the doors open.
I did qualify it with "generally speaking" and "any business that can work at full customer capacity," which is not the case for your example. It's the businesses relevant to the off-topic discussion (my bad) whose clientele has little alternative that are jacking up prices to take advantage of the situation. When you need tire work, what other options do you have? Like I said earlier, the tire shops are still double booking every appointment slot. People can usually put off painting or buy a cheaper brand, if the cost is too high.

Also, that's not what I meant by the 10% example. Maintaining profit with each cost rising by 10% requires only a 10% markup to the customer, not the 30+ percent that industry minds tend to think they need to safely pad themselves. It's kinda funny talking to them about it. They follow the industry thinking but readily acknowledge the facts of the situation when laid out ... then quickly forget about them. I guess it's just human nature to worry about the negative (rising costs) and overlook the positives (faster rising profits).

·
Addicted to Junk
16,808 Posts
I did qualify it with "generally speaking" and "any business that can work at full customer capacity," which is not the case for your example. It's the businesses relevant to the off-topic discussion (my bad) whose clientele has little alternative that are jacking up prices to take advantage of the situation. When you need tire work, what other options do you have? Like I said earlier, the tire shops are still double booking every appointment slot. People can usually put off painting or buy a cheaper brand, if the cost is too high.

Also, that's not what I meant by the 10% example. Maintaining profit with each cost rising by 10% requires only a 10% markup to the customer, not the 30+ percent that industry minds tend to think they need to safely pad themselves. It's kinda funny talking to them about it. They follow the industry thinking but readily acknowledge the facts of the situation when laid out ... then quickly forget about them. I guess it's just human nature to worry about the negative (rising costs) and overlook the positives (faster rising profits).
Lol i wasnt really trying to disagree, it just sparked a little rant!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Lol i wasnt really trying to disagree, it just sparked a little rant!
I feel your pain. My income has been down considerably for the two years of the pandemic. I've always been good at keeping costs low and not having to chase the green, but when property taxes are almost exactly two months' worth of pre-tax income, it makes it tough to stay afloat.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts