Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my ATV a lot with some friends with side by sides and have decided I want one! So does anyone have experience with them? Which would be the best, most dependable, powerful, and user friendly machine??

These are the one's I have been looking at:
Yamaha Rinho:

Polaris Rzr:

Polaris Ranger:

Kawasaki teryx:

Honda Big Red:

Can-Am Commander:

This is my current ATV: 2004 Honda Rancher AT

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Yamaha all the way. I have a friend with 5k rice checking miles on it (that's basically 5,000 miles of nasty mud, deep water, climbing through ruts, etc etc all while very overloaded) and it's been trouble free for the most part.

On our own rice farm we put fourwheelers though the torture test and the Yamahas outlast everything else in our experience. The only two atvs we've ever had hit the 10k mark (or even get close to it for that matter) were Yamaha Kodiaks. As a point of comparison, the Honda 450 Foremans that everyone says are indestructible...we'll have one of those utterly ruined in about 5-6k miles (as in at least one critical rear end failure, the transmission sounding like it's going to fall out, about 5,000 tune ups to make the damn things run, etc etc before the engine gives up the ghost).

We follow all scheduled maintenance, etc and pound for pound experience has shown the Yamaha to be the superior product. Your mileage may vary, but that's my take on it :beer.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
My Uncle's a crop consultant, so he goes through the thickest gumbo mud and whatnot you can think of... Like Hopper said above really. He used multiple different vehicles but the most reliable he has found is a Kubota RTV. I have sunken that thing so deep into mud and gotten into water up to my chest, it keeps chugging. (I'm 6'1)

It came with a snorkel too, but removed you can still take it in deep water that you'd fear to take a Bronco into.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I liek the rzr and the can-am commander..

I just don't like the little "truck beds" on the back of ATV's

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Buy Yamaha and never look back. :thumbup That being said, to be honest, the only ones I'd actually avoid would be Honda and Kawasaki. Honda cause it is butt ugly and Kawasaki cause it is butt ugly and I don't think of 4 wheels when I think of Kawasaki.

You should look into aftermarket support. Not sure about the other's but I know Rhino's have a huge community and product catalog behind them.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
stay away from the polarises. our freidns brought a newish ranger with them when we went riding one time and broke the belt, had to be towed back to the trailer, that was the second time in 2 months that the belt had broken:banghead. stay away from kawasucki. id go with the big red if the reviews are good. i know for a fact that honda makes good stuff. my little 350 rancher got sandwhiched between 2 polaris 500s. the one that rear ended me bent the frame so badly the body panels were bulging out the sides:histerica. they tried to straigten the frame by yanking on it with another atv but only succeded in putting another crease in the brush gaurd. oh yeah, my honda went through this mud hole and a polaris 800 deisel tried to go through and stalled. i had nothing to anchor to and my little 350 with a cheap 2000 lb wich pulled him out. they were demoing that particular one too. :rofl: personally i wouldnt bother with a side by side, theyre expensive, large, and just not something id ever enjoy. unless your gonna use it for work hauling and stuff.

ill take that rancher off your hands though...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some others:
Kubota:

John Deer:

Cub Cadet:

Arctic Cat Prowler:

Not sure I like any of those, most are to utility for my taste.

I just don't like the little "truck beds" on the back of ATV's
I know what you mean but I would like some storage space for coolers and other junk...

I'm really leaning towards a 2011 Rhino 700 FI Auto. 4x4 Sport Edition:

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
the ranger isnt a sand play machine its a work utv.

I have a friend that runs a atv rental shop at he oregon dunes. they rent out both the rino and the rzr and by far the rzr and rzr's perform far better. now all 3 machines are in stock form also.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
stay away from the polarises. our freidns brought a newish ranger with them when we went riding one time and broke the belt, had to be towed back to the trailer, that was the second time in 2 months that the belt had broken:banghead.
You know, the "real" reason the belts break on any CVT machine is due to some dumba** who does not know how to operate it (running in high range when they should be in low).

oh yeah, my honda went through this mud hole and a polaris 800 deisel tried to go through and stalled.
I doubt you saw a Polaris 800 diesel because there is no such thing. The only diesel Polaris ever made was about 10 years ago, and it was a 455cc. You are comparing apples to oranges too. Do you know how much more that an 800 class machine weighs compared to your little rancher? Just for fun, how did you keep your Honda out of 3WD to make it through that hole that stopped the Polaris?:haha:goodfinge

personally i wouldnt bother with a side by side, theyre expensive, large, and just not something id ever enjoy. unless your gonna use it for work hauling and stuff.
I do agree with you on this, especially for the larger machines. They just can't maneuver like quads can. Don't get me wrong the side by sides can be fun, but they're not my first choice.:thumbup

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
You know, the "real" reason the belts break on any CVT machine is due to some dumba** who does not know how to operate it (running in high range when they should be in low).

I doubt you saw a Polaris 800 diesel because there is no such thing. The only diesel Polaris ever made was about 10 years ago, and it was a 455cc. You are comparing apples to oranges too. Do you know how much more that an 800 class machine weighs compared to your little rancher? Just for fun, how did you keep your Honda out of 3WD to make it through that hole that stopped the Polaris?:haha:goodfinge

I do agree with you on this, especially for the larger machines. They just can't maneuver like quads can. Don't get me wrong the side by sides can be fun, but they're not my first choice.:thumbup
we were at a mudbog. my honda didnt make it, then again its 2wd with stock tires. i got stuck but it kept running and i winched myself out. this guy got stuck and it quit on him, wouldnt start. it took him like 2o minutes to get it started after i pulled him out too, smoked like hell. and iirc it said 800 and "deisel" on the side. i think i could be wrong, either way it was big and weighed a ton.

we were on trails where tornados had knocked down trees across the trail. im talking like 2 ft piles of em, not something we were gonna try to drive over doing just trail riding with a motorcycle in the group. paths had been made to go around these trees so all of us on atvs just went around but the ranger was too big. i looked back after ones an i just see that thing run right into a pile of em and drive over, it was funny thats for shure.

funny thing is the belt broke while we were cruizing along a dirt road. i was in like 4th gear.

no matter what you cant change the fact that my little rancher was sandwiched between two 500 sportsmans and suffered only tweaked racks and brushgaurd. while the one that rearended me bent the whole damn frame :histerica

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
And who knows I may end up just upgrading to a rubicon which is about half the price of a side x side...
go rubicon, most people think the rincon is the top of the line but the rubicon is the real workhorse.

oh yeah, in support of hondas everywhere, check out the reverse water wheelie at 1:32:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts