Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went out to pismo today and popped a huge wheelie up a sand ledge. when i landed a heard an unusual thunk, i thought nothing of it. i continued to peel out all over the dunes for the next hour or so, made it all the way to the back corner of the dunes. i stopped to let my motor cool and take a break. as i was walking around i noticed something odd: my battery cables were hanging down into the fender well, the battery was not attached to them. i popped the hood, my optima had ejected itself. drove back to the ledges in my buddies jeep, found my blue top buried in the sand with a fat swamper track accross them. dusted it off, put it back in the bronco and drove home.

another buddy ran his for 2 or 3 weekends of wheeling without an alternator. 2 months later he finally ran out of juice. recharged it and it works fine.

lets hear your war stories about these suckers....

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
Good Things to hear.:thumbup I just had to replace my girlfriends Motor craft battery in her bronco. I was suprised it lasted as long as it did. I was hoping to hear so good things about the optima battery I am thinking of buing a red top with posts on the top and the side. Seeing How I plan on running about 14 extra lights and two 12k # winches. Please tell me more stories about them.:thumbup

Nemesis

·
Registered
525 Posts
yeah i love the warrenty i had one die after i let the truck sit for a little over a month on base while i was underway came back and the damn thing was dead got it jumped and took it to Checker the tested it tried to charge it and nothing so since it was only about a year and a half old new battery only it took like three weeks to get it cus them damn things sell out as fast as they get um.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had one that we took with us to get a old 50's chev to turn over. It was riding in the back of my buddys lifted f150. Well his crappy gator net did not do a good job of keeping the optima inside the bed. I seen it start to slide then fell right out the back. It tumbled and jumped acorss the highway and into the ditch. I thought for sure it would be screwed.

I got out of the truck picked it up and it was scuffed up good but no punctures. I got back to my place slapped it back into the broncolade and it started right up. My alternator died who knows when I noticed for a few days my lights were really dimming up. I tried to start it one morning and the battery was dead I charged it up and swapped alternators. It lasted for another year until the hold down broke and the battery met the alternator fan at high RPM's and ate through 3 of the six cell packs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
broncolade said:
It lasted for another year until the hold down broke and the battery met the alternator fan at high RPM's and ate through 3 of the six cell packs.
is there really gel inside?

·
Registered
558 Posts
dub said:
is there really gel inside?
There was a jelly like stuff thhat smelled like normal battery acid and it ate the spark plug wires, alternator case, alternator harness and a few other parts. I took it to the car wash thhe next day to clean that crap off.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,378 Posts
I've seen one that was puctured and shorting out but we pulled the screw out of it and taped it up, been working great for the last 2 years... We've used them to weld with on the trail, also a buddy rolled his truck and his cracked almost in half so we taped it back together and it worked for another 6 months or so.. I love them

·
Registered
686 Posts
yeah they're great, last wheeling trip i went on my buddies yota almost flipped over and we heard a nasty squrking sound! pop the hood and the battery had Fell on top of the pulley it's got a freaking gash about 4 inchs deep and it's still working great!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,204 Posts
I have my red top in my Bronco for at least 4, maybe 5 years now and it's been beat, running aux lights and more jump starts than I can count. On top of that Florida summers are notorious for killing batteries. Well, since I started my SAS which was a year ago this week, my rig has pretty much been sitting. I'm happy to say that the last time I went to crank it, it took a couple of turns but it did turn over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love mine, when I bought my bronco the battery was shot, replaced that with an optima and about a 2 weeks later it was dead. But I could tell it was the altinator but it did scare me a little...But I think I drove about 3 days with just the battery/ no charging. Best peice on the bronco besides the tires...... Bronco =$300, Battery =$100, tires =$800, bouncing off trees/rocks/jeeps= priceless....

·
Registered
252 Posts
yes thanks for optimas warranty!!!! I started my Bronco up for the first time since fall and it had just sat all winter long! Well when i went to start it nothing!! so i hooked up the battery charger and it said somthing like go buy a new battery dumbass! So ill pulled the battery out of our Dodge spirit which has sat even longer and its a K-mart special and the Bronco cranked right up go figure. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment cause i will be putting the replacment Optima back in it.:thumbup

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was playing in pismo and i bounced down a dune, and luckily my she flooded and I heard a bang. I tried to crank but it wouldnt. My red top hit the fan and half busted off a blade. Woops!

·
Registered
97 Posts
use them in everything,in the truck and in my 2 old cars,one of which has one big electric fuel pump,another elec fuel pump for the nitrous,elec fan, elec water pump,and a digital 7 to power along with a higher compression motor to crank,some times it sits for a month and it always cranks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts