Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys.. what is the optimal Oil Filter for a 78' with a 351C? Getting ready to do my first change. Thanks!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
351 C or M? M is factory...

Agree with the above! I tend to run the K&N filter on my performance engines. Motorcraft on the stock engines.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wix are good and i used them for years, now i use Jomar and they have no bypass.

In your app i'd use wix. NAPA gold are made by wix too

Fram are a product of advertising but are garbage.

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
HI guys.. what is the optimal Oil Filter for a 78' with a 351C? Getting ready to do my first change. Thanks!
have you ever read the forums at bobistheoilguy.com? it's a really established forum with more info than you could shake a stick at.

in short, though, i would also endorse motorcraft, wix, napa (made by wix), or oreilly (made by wix), or champion, or the higher end fram filters. and apparently purolator has problems with the filter media ripping inside the filter now.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,976 Posts
motorcraft, no sense fawking around with anything else..they're an OEM part and relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Super Moderator
25,371 Posts
Yo T,

Motorcraft®!

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
94 XLT 351 E4OD 4" Superlift 88 XLT AOD about to put on 4" Pro Comp lift
2,803 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Wix is very good and napa is made by wix. Purolator and especially the Pureones used to be very good but recently have had tearing issues that purolator didn't seem to want to fix. The Motorcraft filters are made by purolator unfortunately and i can't recall if they had the same issues.
I'm running wix on everything now excet trans filters, still using the FL1-A for those.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
872 Posts
Purolator has a newer filter called the "Boss" it is a full synthetic filter medium with a thicker housing material, holds more particles and it costs more than the "Pure One". Being that the Motorcraft is/was made by Purolator, I've been using these for years but I need to do more research now to see what's up with Motorcraft and who is making them. Mobil 1 makes a new filter also with a better filter media then the previous filter, it holds more particles also and it has an "A" at the end of the P/N. I just switched my boat engine over to these newer Mobil 1 filters, they have a lot of good features.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If you look into the tear issue, its caused by where the pleats are crimped together at the end. For some reason the pleat stretches across a bigger gap at that section, so it has a tendency to tear at the crimp and let unfiltered oil through. Any filter with this flaw is susceptible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts