Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so about a year ago I bought some proform valve covers. I haven't installed them for a few reasons, one being that I'm a cheap ass and didn't want to buy a new set of gaskets. But I finally got a deal on those so I'm ready to go.

However, I've got a 96 so there's the (I can't thing of the proper name right now) vapor recirculation tube from the driver VC to the air intake tube. I'm working through this in my head and it seems like it's strictly an emissions consideration. But, I prefer not to have capped/plugged things hanging off my engine.

These are my two options:
1) buy a cap with a nipple to connect the tube
2) buy a cap that's just a filter and cap/plug the intake tube

Other than personal preference and the slightest environmental impact, is there any real functional consideration between the two?

These are the valve covers.
*Note: I know these are tall and not listed to fit my year model, but my Edelbrock intake is taller than OEM and should clear them.

Gadget Bicycle part Rectangle Font Auto part

Automotive tire Wheel Camera lens Automotive design Audio equipment

Cap Gas Font Bottle cap Electric blue

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
I have them from a PO; you will have a to make a hose from the vent barb photoed to your intake fitting. The valve covers are pita to bolt on because the hardware is too close to the valve cover preventing a socket from being used. Pretty sure they are not a truck application because the hardware problem.

·
Man of endless projects
11,081 Posts
if you are going to use it as an oil filler and you dont plan on offroading i like the one without the nipple. cause then you wont need to deal with the hose going to intake tubing when you remove it to fill oil

the one with the nipple would be better for offroading but abit more of a pain

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them from a PO; you will have a to make a hose from the vent barb photoed to your intake fitting. The valve covers are pita to bolt on because the hardware is too close to the valve cover preventing a socket from being used. Pretty sure they are not a truck application because the hardware problem.
i didn't expect the hose to fit but i'll have to look at the bolts. but, i don't think i follow how they're a prob. when you say the hardware is too close to the valve cover, what do you mean?

if you are going to use it as an oil filler and you dont plan on offroading i like the one without the nipple. cause then you wont need to deal with the hose going to intake tubing when you remove it to fill oil

the one with the nipple would be better for offroading but abit more of a pain
how would the nipple be better for offroad?

·
Man of endless projects
11,081 Posts
generally speaking, most of the ones with the nipple usually dont have a filter as it goes to your air intake hosing (or intake hose Y on MAF trucks). thus its getting filtered air from the engines air filter. as long as your air filter housing is good keping mud and water out of the intake, the breather will also be good
Camera accessory Automotive tire Headgear Audio equipment Font

the other one without the nipple filters its own air right on top of the valve cover. but its usually jsut a light foam inside of it. when offroading sand, mud, water will splash on it and clog its filter fast
Light Automotive tire Gas Rim Tool

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
i didn't expect the hose to fit but i'll have to look at the bolts. but, i don't think i follow how they're a prob. when you say the hardware is too close to the valve cover, what do you mean?
IF my phone wasn't broken I'd send a pic but the valve cover is angled straight up and the bolts are angled towards the valve cover. You have to put the bolts or nuts on with a wrench and it takes forever. I want to say the PO even used a stud kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts