Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have the factory dimensions for stock 31 spline axles? I'm trying to fill out the strange custom axle order form.

Does anyone have anything to say about strange products off road? Obviously i'll be using their street axles vs pro drag.

Set up is strangle nodular case with 35 spline truetrac, 3.25 bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
What dimensions are you looking for, length of axle shaft and width of bearing seat? Never heard of Strange Products before, do they have a web site?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I don't know if there is a difference on your 1978, but here is my 1990 Currie F9+ specs. See the Currie F9+ link below in my signature.

BTW, both Currie and Strange are arguably the best 9" Rear Ends available. If you are running high torque, consider a full width back-brace.

Axels
Style: Performance, 1541 Forged Alloy, 1.5" Diameter
Type: Tapered T&E
Spline: [email protected]°
Pattern: 5 on 5.5 Inch
Stud: 19/32 Disc x 1/2-20
Register Diameter: 2.800
Driver Axle: 30.889
Passenger Axle: 32.766

Housing
Style: F9 Fabricated Housing w/3.0 Inch Tube
End Type: 9+ Torino/Large Bearing
Brackets: Loose
Housing Width: 59.78
Driver Housing: 25.254
Passenger Housing: 24.506
Driver Tube: 21.227
Passenger Tube: 20.479

3rd Member
Style: 9 Inch Ford
Ratio: 4.56S
Differential: WaveTrac
Yoke: 9+ 1350
Case: 9+ Nodular Race
Pinion Support: 9+ Race
Pinion Offset: 1.25

Overall Dimension: 65.25"
Full Width Back Brace
U-Bolt Support Plates
Loose Shock Mounts
Lokar Universal Parking Brake

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I ordered a set of Strange axles for my '69 F-100 a few years ago, it was easier for me just to ship the stock axles to them so they could measure them {I didn't want to screw it up and have them say that they sent me the dimentions that I asked for, they took the measurements and quickly sent me my stock axles back while my axles were being made. Good people to deal with.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,235 Posts
I had a set of Strange Engineering axles made for my '74 Bronco. I was running 44" with a Detroit locker in a 9" and I was constantly snapping axles shafts. I had a set of SE axles made and never had a problem again. I had a friend at my machine shop spec all the dimensions for me.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Why 35 spline and only a tru trac. Seems like alot of money to only have a near open differential

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
Axels
Style: Performance, 1541 Forged Alloy, 1.5" Diameter
Type: Tapered T&E
Pattern: 5 on 5.5 Inch
Stud: 19/32 Disc x 1/2-20
Register Diameter: 2.800
Driver Axle: 30.889
Passenger Axle: 32.766
I agree on strange being a good company to deal with and makes good parts. However on this axle the yoke must be centered instead of the diff as the stock 78/79 is actually off set a bit so that the axles are the same length on each side.

I have two sets of stock shafts out in the garage and can measure them for you if you do not get an answer before I get home. Also as per above, are these going in a stock housing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I decided to go with yukons from JBG. I think strange specializes more in drag racing axles although they did say their street axles would work. JBG just makes it easy, plus for the same price I also got weather stripping. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truetrac works all the time, I have front and rear truetracs now and I love the way they work. I realize the tire in the air still spins, but apply breaks lightly and it will transfer power. A locker is an open until you hit the button, plus things can fail. Check out this video, a lot of pro's to a truetrac.

http://youtu.be/JEiSTzK-A2A

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
I have the Yukon's in the back of my 78 and have been happy with them, I would buy them again. I also got mine from JBG

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I never seen a button on a Detroit locker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Detroit locker was out of the question because of the way it works on the street, I tried one. It would click as I pulled into a parking space pushing the truck further forward than I intended. It had more tendency to kick the rear end out under power in a turn. For me it was between air locker, e locker, or truetrac. The truetrac works well on icy roads, without the tendency to get you sideways like a locker. Its smooth, silent and always on. I also have one in my Mustang, burns them both every time.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
IME Truetracs are effective in high spin situations but not effective in low spin situations.... They work great in the sand or mudding but not in rock crawling. There is never enough "spin" to get both tires to engage and the brake trick works marginally at best when in the rocks. I went with a truetrac in my old 95 and for me, it was a mistake. 99% of my wheeling was rock crawling and it was basically like wheeling open. I get the behavior issues on the street and for some, a truetrac is a good way to go. For those who rock crawl, I highly recommend a full time or fully selectable locker.

Either way - Glad you got your axle figured out. :beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts