Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what type of wheeling you have out there I may be out that way soon and I have never looked to see what type like is it just mud /dirt trails or sand up in the high desert or is there good Rockcrawling ?

and will a FSB with Rockwells be too wide ?

And what type of wheeling is were ?

Thanks

Travis

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,819 Posts
well we dont have any designated 4wd trails in my neck of the woods. so basicly forest service roads , some Sand dunes in Christmas Valley which are cool. there is supposed to be some rockcrawling spot being put together but dont know a specifc location yet. Up near portland there is the Tillamook State Forest and they have an extensive trail setup but unsure if width would be an issue. CrazedAtWork would know. where in Central oregon are you going to ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Portland Area most likely but I am not sure yet as I may have to relocate out to Oregon and I needed some info on what type of wheeling is where and most of all if there is Rockcrawling because of my BKO build up I am doing I don't want to put 10K more into it and have no place to take it :duh

So there is no area for rockcrawling any where in Oregon ? it sounds like just loging roads and fire trails for the most part ?

I know you guys don't like us Cali guys but some times you have very little say :doh0715:

thank you

Travis

·
I ♥ TTB
4,252 Posts
Thats affirmative...
I havent been up to TSF myself, maybe Shadowfax or one of the others will chime in here....

Around me is pretty similar to what kemical has... service roads, some good mud pits, not to forget the sand dunes are fairly close as well....

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
How wide is your Bronco with rockwells? My 78 is 96" wide outside to outside at the front tires and it fits the trails where a lot of people say it won't. I think your turning radius is more critical than track width.
As for disliking califirnians, it's the "sometimes you have very little say" attitude that does it. Good luck.

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
We make our own trails here.

Not as many hippies in Southern Oregon.

There are some sand dunes, high desert stuff, in christmas valley and to the east of Klamath Falls. The coast has some awsome beach dunes.

Lots of mud in winter, and lots of dirt trails in summer.

The tough trucks come through Oregon around winter. That is a fun time.

You really have to look for the rocks to climb, we have a lot of lava flows and left overs from Crater Lake in my area. The lava rock is no good to climb on, cinder kills your tires.

Unless you are in Far Eastern Oregon, or like wearing a snow suit while driving, you need to have your top, and doors on a good part of the year.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
LiLBKO said:
I would like to know what type of wheeling you have out there I may be out that way soon and I have never looked to see what type like is it just mud /dirt trails or sand up in the high desert or is there good Rockcrawling ?

and will a FSB with Rockwells be too wide ?

And what type of wheeling is were ?

Thanks

Travis
I too would be interested in what width you're at now with the axles.

But anyway....Eastern oregon, I go for hunting, I don't know of any state/federal trail lands there, perhaps some private stuff.

Tillamook state forest, about 50 mins. from Portland (west)....forest trails...roots, rocks, some mud, lots of off camber and generally tight trails. This is no worry if you don't mind kissing trees. The trails range from beginner, to very difficult (the crusher trails)....78B460 can attest to that...last time he did that, IIRC, he pretty much lost a quarter panel or two, among other things. He can tell you about those, beyond me.

There are also great trails across the border in Washington, which is why we join up with a lot of the 2BigBroncos members up there....Reiter Pit, Wenachee, etc. Again, WA guys can chime in on those.

They also have mud events in OR, but I don't do that....78B460 again if you're interested.

Sandlake and Florence, famous for Sand/coastal wheeling (son o beach is held at sandlake by the EB's each year). Lots of fun.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info it helps a lot! And for (not having much say) well I just got this droped in my lap by my wife that she wants to move out your way and that is cool but we had planned to move to Az so I just needed a few days to adjust.

My BKO is whats left of a 84' there are a few pic's of it around and the track will be about 96"-98" and for rubing or flat out banging the hell out of it is cool it's caged up for some hard rolls and it is dove tailed front & rear and boat sided. As for the mud I am not into that much but I will make do with what I have to play with I may have to change a few things to be more set up for the type of wheeling out there and not for just Rocks :thumbup

So again thank you guys your input has helped :beer :beer

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
i believe that Bend is on the up and up for rock trails. There sure is plenty of lave rock around, I have to believe there are some fun trails. I have seen some pics of guys over on PBB from the central oregon area. Looks like fun. I keep meaning to drag my bronco up when I go to Bend, but I usually go for the fishing and biking.

·
Registered
794 Posts
84excursion said:
Not as many hippies in Southern Oregon.

you don't get to ashland much. the place is loaded with'em.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts