Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995 XLT 5.8L, 4wd shift on the floor, manual hubs
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many winters in Colorado, Montana, and now the east coast, and thousands of gravel and offroad miles it is time for repairs (well, that was probably years ago, but starting a family was higher priority). I have pretty bad frame and under body rust, quite a few spots on the panels, but overall the truck has a great low mileage engine and transmission (~125k). I'm 99.9% certain I want to keep the truck so....here is what I'm wondering. If I want to have a shop do a new paint, most likely a kevlar or kevlar-type paint, what do y'all suggest? Spot fix the rust or new panels? I've heard both from shops. Some say the labor saved by new panels is better (less prep needed) while others say keep the original metal and fix. As for the underside, I'll do a lot of the labor scraping and sanding but will the probably defer to experts on actually sealing/painting it. No place for me to perform the latter work.

Also, if anyone knows of some quality shops within 100 miles of DC that have worked on Broncos before I'd love to hear about them. I've got some leeway on funds to get my beautiful beast back into daily driver + action. Shops here near DC won't touch it, and many I wouldn't let touch it!

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pics will help get better replies, but I had wide-spread surface rust on my frame when I went to put my lift on. Cleaned it up real well then put Krylon Rust Tough primer and black on it. Came out real nice...but that was mainly just surface rust. Can get you pics if needed.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo Serf,
Welcome!
Others can give yo the skinny on the paint and shops soon.

ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

¤ See our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics will help get better replies, but I had wide-spread surface rust on my frame when I went to put my lift on. Cleaned it up real well then put Krylon Rust Tough primer and black on it. Came out real nice...but that was mainly just surface rust. Can get you pics if needed.
I will post some either this weekend or next week. I've got someone working on the brake lines right now and it isn't here.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
Welcome to the site @Serf. Love seeing original owners join up..As suggested above take some pics when you get a chance so we can see what you're dealing with..We've had folks repair frames and replace entire sections of the tub..having said that, your appetite to deal with that kind of work may vary.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo Serf,
In FAQs at FAQ
How To Upload Images To Posts
Start your post and normal and then click on the insert image icon.

It will pop up telling you to drag an image there or click. If you drag and drop it, you will see it show up in your post. If you click, it will allow you to navigate to where it is on your computer.

Then just click the image so it adds the file name for you, then click on open.

Finish adding any content and then simply post your reply.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
@Serf Welcome! Check out the info provided above posts. I’d be most concerned about frame rust, since you said you have “bad” rust. Take pics of the truck, especially the frame.

BTW, in ‘94, I got married and bought my forever home. 1995, my 24 yr old was born.

Buying a brand spanking new Bronco....didn’t happen. Pampers and baby formula ain’t cheap!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Serf Welcome! Check out the info provided above posts. I’d be most concerned about frame rust, since you said you have “bad” rust. Take pics of the truck, especially the frame.

BTW, in ‘94, I got married and bought my forever home. 1995, my 24 yr old was born.

Buying a brand spanking new Bronco....didn’t happen. Pampers and baby formula ain’t cheap!!!
Joe, luckily I was still in college and bought it new...at the time they said 95 would be the last year and I loved them then and still love it. I even had the "holy grail" tonneau cover until about 2003 when it was so dry rotted I simply threw it away....son of a [email protected]#$%^. I'm just glad my wife loves it and supports me getting it fixed. Pics will be forthcoming. I'll also post a list of items friends (and kids) are wanting to spend my money on so I can get some feedback...I have a pretty good idea of what I want the end product to be...DD with overland-type capability.

thanks!

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
13 Posts
Serf,
Are you looking to do most of the repairs yourself or send the work out to a shop? That will also help in recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Serf,
Are you looking to do most of the repairs yourself or send the work out to a shop? That will also help in recommendations.
I can do some of the work, especially scraping rust and prep, but will in all honesty probably have a shop do most (neighborhood frowns on driveway repairs) and no bays nearby to rent space. Minor skills, changed plugs, oil, fuel filter...have played a lot more on small engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a compilation of inputs, suggestions, and my own desires as to what "ideal" would involve.

Thoughts, ideas, inputs, and advice from those that have been here before would be greatly appreciated.
Bronco Wish List
End product: Daily driver capable with expedition/overland like capabilities
What is the best order to do repairs? Engine/mechanical then bodywork or????
Required
  • Remove/fix rust
    • Frame and body (tub)
  • Align doors to stop rattle
  • Paint frame with an underbody paint
    • For frame, scrape/grind off, treat with POR15 or equal, paint
  • Replace all rubber seals
  • Engine
    • 100% fluid flush/change
    • Oil, transmission, radiator flush, transfer case, differential, grease/lubes all parts
    • New hoses, tubes, belts, rings, gaskets, seals (all rubber items replaced
    • Check engine compression (value?)
    • Heavy duty alternator?
    • New plugs
    • Wires
    • Distributer cap replace/upgrade??
  • Upgraded cool air filter or just K&N filter
  • New headers/exhaust?
  • Just upgrade exhaust?
    • Desire is to improve and have a nice deep sound but not offensive
  • Timing chain?
  • New radiator? (currently some of the bolts holding it on are rusted/broken)
  • Assess transmission coolers (original tow package)
  • Replace engine block heater
  • New filters (oil, gas, etc.)
  • Intake manifold (value??)
  • Transmission
  • Assess-Flush and change fluid filter
  • 4WD – need to fix the transfer case shift linkage
    • Part Number: 4967-02727792 (I think)
  • Brake upgrade/replace
  • Replace lines
    • Increase size…drives larger wheels (optional)
  • Climate control
  • Fix A/C-Yes
    • Blower kicks off and air isn’t always cold (probably a recharge/service)
    • Sounds like there may be some water in the vents
  • Heat – blower doesn’t always work (probably related to the A/C issue?)
  • Electrical
  • Rear Defroster doesn’t work well (is this a wiring issue or is this fixed by tailgate replacement or window replacement?)
  • Unlock buttons don’t always work on passenger door (appears to be a contact switch issue on driver’s side)
  • Driver window motor/switch (safety stop mechanism may have gone bad)
  • Replace Passenger motor as preventative (cost?)
  • LED headlights/tail lights (replace existing)
  • Gas tank drain/clean?
    • Replace?
  • Kevlar paint (dark gray)
  • Spare tire swing doesn’t work well
    • One nut also sheared off and needs to be replaced
  • Class 3 hitch frame mounted
    • Replacing old rusted one
  • Suspension assessment
    • Springs
    • Shocks
Desired
  • 2.5-3 inch suspension lift with all geometry and handling items to match
    • Possible air suspension-way too pricey most likely
  • 33” tires no wider that 10.5 – currently have 33x9.5x15 with NO mods
  • New Wheels?
  • New bumpers
    • Front (integrated lights 4…2 fog and 2 beam…possible 20/30” bar) – winch capable
    • Rear – integrated lights (2)
  • Add grab handles front and back if possible
  • Roof rack/rails for a roof rack/cargo rack that can be taken on/off
    • Leak/weight??? Does removable thule system I have suffice
  • Assess seals on back half – ease of on/off
    • Roll cage pricing/soft cover
  • Driver’s seat spring doesn’t work well when sliding seat forward
  • New radio (XM capable)
    • Speakers
  • Trailer brake electronic assist
  • Repair/replace interior fabric/seats/armrests
  • Sound deadening/absorption options
    • Engine and body
Possible Extra BIG Costs
  • Transmission issues
  • Engine issues
  • Larger electrical issues
  • Frame too rusted

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
13 Posts
It looks like you have a pretty comprehensive list to get started. Make sure to factor in things that you will “discover” when doing this list. To me, doing the body work is the hardest stuff to do. I am doing mine super slow while I am learning. You might want to look at learning how to do some of the stuff if you have time. It can be quite rewarding.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
150 Posts
@Serf That is a comprehensive list as mentioned. I'd make sure the frame is structurally sound. Then I'd sort the mechanicals to include brakes of course.
New tires, etc. Once it's running and driving....then enjoy as is while you consider the next step: body work & paint.

If you're gonna expo and wheel her, roof rack full of gear etc.,,,,,
You're gonna scratch and bang her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yo Serf,
Welcome!
Others can give yo the skinny on the paint and shops soon.

ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

¤ See our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al
Thanks for the welcome and safety tip. I had the work done as soon as it came out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

more pics to follow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, I had a new bud who has worked on several FSBs look over the truck last week and he said all the frame/tub was surface rust and not structural. The body rust is minor in the grand scheme he says, and fixable without a 3rd mortgage! That said one body shop simply suggested all new metal and to not attempt to fix what is there...thoughts from anyone?

Got the brake lines replaced last week so glad it is drivable again. Got so motivated that the fam and I detailed the inside all weekend (q-tip level) so momma would get in it again!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
What you are looking for is basically a frame off restoration. To pay a shop to do all that work would probably cost a fortune.

Some of that looks a little more significant than just surface rust. On the worst spots on the tub, poke it with a flat head screw driver and see how much it gives or if it goes through.

If it were mine, I'd separate the body from the frame, wire wheel the frame and underside of the tub and por-15 it or use some similar product.

If you have a garage, that would be enough space. You could do it with floor jacks and creative thinking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
What you are looking for is basically a frame off restoration. To pay a shop to do all that work would probably cost a fortune.

Some of that looks a little more significant than just surface rust. On the worst spots on the tub, poke it with a flat head screw driver and see how much it gives or if it goes through.

If it were mine, I'd separate the body from the frame, wire wheel the frame and underside of the tub and por-15 it or use some similar product.

If you have a garage, that would be enough space. You could do it with floor jacks and creative thinking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
x2..If you're planning on keeping it the body is going to need to come off to do the frame right..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts