Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I pulled the rear carpet to get to the frame bushing bolts, and see that under the carpet, where was a fiber board with strips that were used to keep the carpet from forming to the ridges in the bed. I guess it probably deadened the sound some as well. Looks like it was originally silver, but the silver has all flaked off. Made a hughe mess. I have an 90 EB. Did all models have this? I have searched around and have seen no reference to this. Any idea if these can be purchased anywhere and if not, any idea what to replace that with? Looks like that pressed cardboard or fiber board got wet long time ago and fell apart.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Well I pulled the rear carpet to get to the frame bushing bolts, and see that under the carpet, where was a fiber board with strips that were used to keep the carpet from forming to the ridges in the bed. I guess it probably deadened the sound some as well. Looks like it was originally silver, but the silver has all flaked off. Made a hughe mess. I have an 90 EB. Did all models have this? I have searched around and have seen no reference to this. Any idea if these can be purchased anywhere and if not, any idea what to replace that with? Looks like that pressed cardboard or fiber board got wet long time ago and fell apart.
Mine had it a long time ago, I got rid of it as it was just plain nasty. I don't have anything back there anymore as I rarely have passengers back there.

·
Forward Some Money
5,051 Posts
Yours is probably in the same shape my '89's was. I "recreated" it by tracing the original onto underlayment (plywood which is generally 1/4"). I filled the corrugation ridges with thick paint stir sticks from Home Depot. Laid lines of wood glue on top of them and then placed the underlayment piece on top. I used an air stapler with 1/4" crown staples to promote the bond between the two.

You could also use sound deadener mat (Dynamat or equiv.) over the top.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,694 Posts
1 pic = 1000 words

Cut a slot in mine that was still in pretty good shape, when I installed my fuel pump access patch. :thumbup

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 82had these slats also. I used 1/4" plywood cut into the right lengths and widths use them when I have the carpet in (which is hardly ever anymore, especially since I keep the top off most of the time now).

·
Registered
144 Posts
On my Explorer, it originally had jute padding in the cargo area under the carpet to serve the same purpose (and deaden sound). The padding was formed to the shape of the ridges in the sheet metal. My padding was nasty from water and spills though. I noticed during installation of new carpet.

I went to a home carpet store and got a 5x5 chunk of their premium grade padding that goes under home carpet. It has charcoal built in to absorb odors and a moisture barrier to resist liquid. I cut it to shape with scissors and installed it under the carpet. Cost me about $8 if I recall correctly and it worked perfectly. Since then it has formed to the shape of the sheet metal and the carpet appears flat as it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts