Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this up for a couple other places/people so I thought I would share with you guys as well. Just in time for the holidays.

Tips for making perfect mashed potatoes every time.

1. Select your fav potato (red bliss, Yukon golds, etc are good for mash)
2. Don't peel, don't wash (if you really must, go ahead)
3. Cut in half length-wise, and then slice width wise about 1/2" thick. They should look like half-ovals. Too small, and they wont mash right. Too big and they take too long to cook.
4. You don't have to be too concerned about water temp before putting the potatoes in. I usually don't preheat the water at all. Don't bother seasoning the water either (salt, etc).
5. Cook the sh*t out of em. The true test for doneness is to drop a piece onto a cuttingboard/countertop from about 2 feet. If it splatters into pieces, its done.
6. After draining, place pieces on a sheet pan and place in a 350 degree oven for a couple minutes (5-8). This gets them extra dry. The dryer they are, the more cream and butter they can soak up.
7. I use heavy cream and unsalted butter for mine. If you want to use other stuff for whatever reason, its your own damn fault. Do not melt/heat the butter and cream, just add it straight to the potatoes.
8. Add most of the cream, butter, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper to the potatoes before mashing. The more you mash the potatoes, the more gluten is developing, making the the mash gluey (almost like peanut butter, real sticky, not good).
9. I like to hand mash mine, better control of the final consistency.
10. Mash as little as possible. Like I said before, the more you mash, the stickier and denser the potatoes will get. Don't worry about some lumps. They build character.
11. To avoid over-mashing, move the potatoes around with a spoon during final seasoning and to get the still whole pieces in the corners of the pot.
12. Thats it. Gravy is now obsolete.

Additives:
Garlic: always a favorite. Roast your garlic off beforehand. Get whole heads of garlic, leave the paper/skin on, and cut the tops off so you can just see the tops of the cloves. Toss them with olive oil, kosher salt, and FG black pepper, put them on a platter and into the oven. They should be done when the head is mushy, and if you squeeze the size, the cloves should pop out the top. Remove cloves, put them in a bowl, and mash them with a fork or spoon. Add paste to your final mash.

Truffles: are amazing. Truffled mashed are the best mashed you will ever have. Too bad truffles cost a fortune. See if you can find White Truffle Oil instead. Small yuppie grocery stores should have it. It too is pricey, but a small bottle will last you a long time. Just a few drops (usually about a drop or two per portion) and your mash will taste great.

Other ideas:
Corn, wasabi, roasted peppers, the list goes on and on.

For those of you on the Atkins diet looking for a mash substitute, just use white cauliflower instead of potatoes. Follow guidelines above. They actually come out really well.

Ok guys, now get in there and show the wife how its done.

Oh, and I am sorry if I have indirectly insulted your mother and her cooking. I am sure it is excellent, but try something different. You never know, you may like it!

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you've never deep fried a turkey before? they are awesome. make sure you get a good injector. and yes, peanut oil is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'll bring this to the buffet place were going to for t-day and tell em to mkae me a new batch :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts