Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a class D endorsement so I can drive for this local outfit, 40' straight trucks, no big rigs. We (my wife rode with me this weekend) were coming back into TN down 65 from Louisville and had to go across that scale in a rented Enterprise truck. The guy I drive for has 4 trucks of his own and keeps half a dozen Enterprise trucks on hand at all times as well. The D.O.T. lady stopped me on the scale (we were empty) and told me to pull around back and bring in all my paperwork. Seems that my D.O.T. #s weren't big enough to suit her as well as being in the wrong location, they were on the lower front corner of the box as opposed to the doors. Also, it seems that Enterprise is a thorn in the D.O.T.s side anyway due to their refusal to put D.O.T. #s on their trucks for delivery from the rental location to the customer, so a red flag goes up every time an Enterprise truck pulls through a station. I wasn't aware of the Enterprise/D.O.T. issue and neither was my boss. Got lucky in that she just issued a warning, no fees involved, bossman just has to sign and return the paperwork within 15 days. I'm sure some of you who drive for a living can share some ugly stuff. My heart was pounding walking from the truck to the office, fortunately my logbook was in order ;) I've only been doing this for a couple of months and that was my first ever encounter with the dreaded D.O.T. folks. So let's hear some nasty D.O.T. tales if you've got them.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
my grandad has a farm/ranch in southwest texas. lately the DOT people have been in the area, and what used to be a trouble free area, is now a hell-hole. we have always run our trailers without lights and brakes, only in the daylight. my grandad got stopped a while back and racked up 560 bucks in tickets, plus our trailer has to have about 500 in work done to it to get it so we can use it again. it is freaking ridiculus that it is suddenly this way, we cant afford that kind of stuff, so for now the trailer is parked. needless to say there is a huge fight between the farmers and DOT in the area, we will see what ends up happening

wes

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Only time I've ever been pulled was by the roving scales. They gave me a fix-it for a burned out tail light and no DOT numbers. I realized later that it was a good thing they never checked the load -- I was carrying enough oxidizer to require placards, but I didn't have placards or an endorsement. Doh.

The same company had a dump get hit by roving scales... truck was 3t overweight, uncovered, missing a fire extinguisher, no seatbelt, etc etc etc. I think the ticket was $3500 or so. It was in MD, so they got out of it by continuing the hearing for about a year or so. ;)

I see DOT #s on the box all the time... sides of dumps and stakebodies, too... I dunno what the big deal is.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
WES said:
we have always run our trailers without lights and brakes, only in the daylight.
Thats phuckin' safe! :duh It sound's like the DOT needs to be there...:shrug

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Blaze said:
Thats phuckin' safe! :duh It sound's like the DOT needs to be there...:shrug
ok, this is in a huge farming area, do you realize how much it would be to add lights and brakes to all of our trailers? somewhere in teh neighborhood of 3 to 4 thousand dollars. truthfully, we honestly cannot afford that, my grandad nets about 12k a year farming and ranching, is that enough for you to live on? we are goin to have to add some brakes to our 26 foot stock trailer we just got regardless, but the others it is unnecessary to do that because they are only used during the day, and have a strictly farm use designation and are labeled as slow moving vehicles with a safety triangle because they are towed between 25 and 35 and thats it. i still find it unnecessary to do it, but whatever you think, i think you need to know the area before you make an honest judgment

wes

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
oh, and one more thing, the only accident in the last 5 years has been when a trucker decided to take a sharp turn at 85 and rolled his tractor and trailer, so if that tells ya anything, there has never been a problem with it, and suddenly they are making a fuss out of nothing

wes

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
There has only been one auto accident in the past 5 years? And youre sure of this how?

I dont think blaze was being very aggresive and wasnt personnally attacking your family. he is also a faceless person on the internet, so you shouldnt take it too close to heart. how many trailers do you have that it would cost 4 grand to light them all? last time i checked, you could about 200 lights at napa for a couple hundred bucks. as you said, they are just low speed trailers, so you dont exatcly need the highest quality there, just something to alert others to a sudden stop, and to make the men in blue happy.

and it is unsafe, i dont care how fast you are going. an emergency/sudden stop can cause alot of damage no matter what speed you are going, esp since the trailer is 26 feet. and no brakes either?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Much like others have said, it is unsafe to run trailers without lights. I really don't care where you're at and who you are doesn't make you exempt from lighting. It's there for saftey.... And working for a farm store like I do that sells trailer lighting kits of several different varieties, even LED light kits...I'm trying to grasp the notion what lights you're using or how many trailers you have and the size that it would take $3K - $4K to fully equip them :confused:
I mean c'mon...if it's that much...hell it must've cost Allcruisen at least $10K to light up his Bronco like a Christmas tree the way it is.... :wtf

If we're missing something here let us know.... :shrug

...and if I'm not mistaken twice, if it's for farm use the stuff should be tax exempt. :shrug :shrug

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
im siding with WES here. I grew up on a farm/ranch *well im still growing up*, but no one had DOT legal trailers like that and never did we have an incident. specially when the biggest trip the trailers take are around your ranch or down to the elevators wich was only like 5 miles away. the majority of the time the trailers were used they were on OUR property and saw only the 4 minutes of driving on a road each time we had a harvest wich was about 5-6 times a year.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
one time i was parked at a rest stop slumpted over the wheel taking a nap, about 4am and a cop banged on the door and i almost pee'd my pants

true story :crazy

thank God I'm an office flunky now, my naps are much more comfortable :chili:

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
SquattyD said:
There has only been one auto accident in the past 5 years? And youre sure of this how?

I dont think blaze was being very aggresive and wasnt personnally attacking your family. he is also a faceless person on the internet, so you shouldnt take it too close to heart. how many trailers do you have that it would cost 4 grand to light them all? last time i checked, you could about 200 lights at napa for a couple hundred bucks. as you said, they are just low speed trailers, so you dont exatcly need the highest quality there, just something to alert others to a sudden stop, and to make the men in blue happy.

and it is unsafe, i dont care how fast you are going. an emergency/sudden stop can cause alot of damage no matter what speed you are going, esp since the trailer is 26 feet. and no brakes either?
im sure of this cause my grandad lives there, and is friends with the police in the nearest town, so he gets all the reports. the lights are not the main thing, it is the brakes. we have about 18 trailers we use at different times for different uses. *ANY* tandem axle trailer, mostly what we have, now must have brakes on at least on axle, and if over 20 feet, i belive thats it, it must have them on both. do you know how much brakes cost per axle? about 500 bucks! we have 4 trailers that would need this, so that alone is 4000, not even counting the lights. so, now we are at a stopping point in seeing what has to be done. if you really wanna fight anymore with me about this, email me, i dont want to bring a fight here

wes

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
OK excuse me but I stopped reading about two posts after mine and just skipped over the rest of the BS to say: This isn't Wes bashing! I live in farm country too and theres a difference between pulling a 26' hay trailer behind a tractor and pulling a "trailer". I'm sure it's my fault,...I mean I read the the title of the post and thought he was talking to OTR drivers (silly me :duh) so when Wes responded about pulling trailers I assumed (once again...boy am I stupid :rolleyes: ) he was talking about semi trailers.
So all sarcasm aside Wes stepped in a pile o shit he laid. Sorry dude, but if ya don't wanna get bitched at for being an unsafe "trucker" don't post as one!! :twak

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
dsotmoon said:
one time i was parked at a rest stop slumpted over the wheel taking a nap, about 4am and a cop banged on the door and i almost pee'd my pants

true story :crazy

thank God I'm an office flunky now, my naps are much more comfortable :chili:

Yay!

PAD!

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Blaze said:
OK excuse me but I stopped reading about two posts after mine and just skipped over the rest of the BS to say: This isn't Wes bashing! I live in farm country too and theres a difference between pulling a 26' hay trailer behind a tractor and pulling a "trailer". I'm sure it's my fault,...I mean I read the the title of the post and thought he was talking to OTR drivers (silly me :duh) so when Wes responded about pulling trailers I assumed (once again...boy am I stupid :rolleyes: ) he was talking about semi trailers.
So all sarcasm aside Wes stepped in a pile o shit he laid. Sorry dude, but if ya don't wanna get bitched at for being an unsafe "trucker" don't post as one!! :twak
i just posted with my DOT horror story, not reading the first of it clearly, sorry, i was mistaken. i have some OTR stories too from my dad, but ill keep those for another day

wes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts