Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Bronco in today to a local garage for an oil leak...I just got a call back...

"Needs a new oil pan...$800 because it's a 7 hour job. Also needs new front pads and rotors because they will be metal on metal within a month...$300"

...I've never been to this garage before. Does this sound like an accurate price?!?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crazed said:
If your pan is rusty, this is a lot of work to get to.
I just bought this truck less than a year ago...I guess I didn't do a good enough job checking it out ahead of time because the mechanic said the previous owner knew about the oil pan problem and tried to cover it up with glue and sealant. Sounds like there is definitely a mess to work through under there. :banghead

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
those prices sound about right. i would definitely do the brakes myself. for what they want to charge you could buy all new parts and just slap them on.
i think someone on here had a writeup/advice/shortcut on doing the oil pan. imlikeojnow maybe?

·
Registered
179 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
t i would definitely do the brakes myself. for what they want to charge you could buy all new parts and just slap them on.
I second that motion

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScorpionBoy said:
i would definitely do the brakes myself. for what they want to charge you could buy all new parts and just slap them on.
How much would I save by doing it myself? I haven't done it before, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if it'll save me some cash!

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
Bronco Newbie said:
How much would I save by doing it myself? I haven't done it before, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if it'll save me some cash!
EDIT: I just reread your original post and noticed it was just your front brakes. Do it yourself and take the rotors to brakes plus to see if they need to be/can be turned. If not, you will be able to get new rotors next door at advanced. you will save a bunch of green. This is a good project for a newbie, but be sure to get a haynes manual and follow the dirs since there are obvious safety considerations.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, definitely do the brakes and rotors yourself. I did mine last weekend, and other than having a bit of trouble getting the caliper to release, it was a very simple job (especially after working on a lowered Nissan car for over 3 years). And you'll save yourself probably at least half the cost of having the shop do it, and if you're smart you'll get better brake pads than what they install. (Just a hint, Advance sells "lifetime warranty" brake pads. Once you wear them out, you take them back and get a new set at no cost).

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
A Haynes manual, a little confidence, some oversight from an experienced friend, tools and you could change the pan. Probably save you enough to buy many of the tools.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got another call from the mechanic...
In addition to the new oil pan and front pads/rotors, I also need:
1)All new hardware for the rear breaks
2)Two new U-joints
3)New coolant gasket (?) to fix a small coolant leak
4)New plugs (recommends a full tune-up)

...this is getting insane!

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
Bronco Newbie said:
Just got another car from the mechanic...
In addition to the new oil pan and front pads/rotors, I also need:
1)All new hardware for the rear breaks
2)Two new U-joints
3)New coolant gasket (?) to fix a small coolant leak
4)New plugs (recommends a full tune-up)

...this is getting insane!
i don't follow. you have two 95 broncos? wait, do you mean 'call from the mechanic'? do the plugs yourself for sure and that is basically a full tune up for your rig. :toothless
do your own cap, rotor and if necessary, wires. ujoints are a snap.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
front brakes are EASY- did mine yesterday in about an hour...

oil pan... kinda hard. i changed my oil pan gasket in about... 7 hours- but i just dropped it down- and left it on the crossmember while i worked. i dont know much about the pan...

rear brakes... i looked at it- and said "im gonna call the shop"...didnt wanna fuss with it

u-joints- if you have a haynes/chilton- and you do a bit of searching on this site- its not hard...takes time though

the coolant gasket? for the water pump? or the thermostat? those arnt too hard to change- so you might consider doing that yourself... get a chilton/haynes though

a tune up is easy- takes maybe an hour. i think it was 68 bucks last time i did mine. but that was with good plugs, new wires, oil/air/fuel filters. 6qt of oil (only needs 5- but i had a bad leak from the oil pan)

...hope this helps...
if you have them do all of that stuff- look to have your truck in the shop for AT LEAST 2-3 days...
ace

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
oh yeah- cap and rotor are easy and cheap too...
think it was about 20 for both...
ace

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!
I will try to do as many of these as I can myself. I just wish this wasn't my Daily Driver so I'd be able to take my time, since I'm new to all this.

Any suggestions on additional upgrades I should do at the same time so I don't have to tear back into the same area of the engine/truck at another time?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts