Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reason that nobody ever just welds them when they crack? ... cast can be done .. how come nobody just does it? :shrug

·
Registered
741 Posts
Damager said:
is there any reason that nobody ever just welds them when they crack? ... cast can be done .. how come nobody just does it? :shrug
good excuse to buy some headers

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
I think it's just 'cause to weld them well you need to remove them from the truck, and by the time you're at that point you might as well just bolt a new one on. Also better be absolutely certain when you weld it up it doesn't pull or it won't bolt back on... so you almost need a second motor to use as a jig.

At least that's my guess and I'm stickin' to it

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
:stupid also, whats to stop them from cracking in another place? exhaust manifolds tend to crack because they heat up and cool down constantly.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
Andy351 said:
:stupid also, whats to stop them from cracking in another place? exhaust manifolds tend to crack because they heat up and cool down constantly.
I agree when I pulled mine, the cracks had spidered throughout the hole manifold. Welding would have fixed one, but it would have most likely cracked in another place.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so then grinding a groove in the crack and filling it with a weld bead would be a waste of time? ..... no need to remove for that?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
I think the reason is that there are going to be a lot of other hairline fractures and cracks your not going to see. So while you might fix the one, others would inevitably pop up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
jermil01 said:
I think the reason is that there are going to be a lot of other hairline fractures and cracks your not going to see. So while you might fix the one, others would inevitably pop up.
:stupid

·
College User
2,018 Posts
You cat get used headers for 50$ and up.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,525 Posts
Cause Headers :rockon

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have shorties that I bought from Taco a while back ... just curious really

30 minutes with a grinder and a welder is justification to not waste a whole day and $75 to me

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Damager, if you can do it in the truck more power to you. I seem to recall you were looking at MIG machines........you know you'll need a stick welder to do it right.

But also the crack is usually far worse than people think. If you let them go very long at all they crack all the way thru. How many of us have removed manifolds literally in two pieces? I have, cracked all the way around. No way you're gonna weld that up in the truck.

But give it a shot. I agree with you, $75 is $75, and hell that's over $100 CDN :goodfinge

That's Damager - he's a dick! Ha! Ok, so you've gotta be a South Park fan.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
This is what happened to mine after I tried to JB weld it once...

You can see it split the whole way around.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keith_L said:
But give it a shot. I agree with you, $75 is $75, and hell that's over $100 CDN :goodfinge

That's Damager - he's a dick! Ha! Ok, so you've gotta be a South Park fan.
I know south park .. I used to live in Breckenridge .. pretty close :toothless

yeah, I'm a dick :chili: just look at my head . ..

and it was just a simple question and I was curious .. so eat fuk :goodfinge

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Damager said:
so eat fuk :goodfinge

Spoken like a true competitor....Or cheap canadian :goodfinge :chili:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts