Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my story about our last trip to Tellico it was action packed.

We went up to Tellico to do some riding, I had my truck and there were about 5 jeeps and 1 toyota in this ride. We got there Saturday and took a quick trip in to tr4 and tr5 and back out, everything went smooth. Sunday we took on Guardrail, Helicopter Pad and School bus. Everything started out great, when we made it up to where it got tough, I was following our most high dollar jeep in the club, he got on guardrail and bumped it and then pulled the winch line. Before the actual "guardrail" obstacle, There is a large rock with a pointy rock beside it.This pointy rock jutting out from the left side would have got me if I tried to go around, so I decided that I would go over the large rock instead and much to my surprise I went right over and was ready to take on Guardrail. I went up and got on it, bumped up some and it felt like it would be easy, so I drove right up it much easier than I had anticipated and was totally stoked by this time. A TJ tried to go over the rock that I went over and something went wrong, he broke the upper right side suspension mount loose from the axle and destroyed the left side bar in the process. So, we took the good right side arm, mounted it on the good left side brackets and got him turned around so he could limp back. Our Rubicon guy took note of this and went around barely missing his new sheet metal on a pointed rock jutting out from the left side, he also took the little bypass that is there now around guardrail.

After we all got up Guardrail, we went on for the Pad. The rock that sticks out of the wall affectionately known as rainbow rock was blown off so most of us went for it. After the high dollar TJ went up, it was my turn, I crawled up to and got on it and started to spin for a few seconds, I had plenty of time so I started playing with my bags to load different tires and either the loading worked or my tires got hot enough to get sticky and I went right up on the first try, I was on top of the world by now, the truck was unstoppable! After several winched up or took the bypass, we were on our way to go down school bus.

School bus is a fun ride. We were heading down it and came to the big down hill section that was really washed out like everything else. I stayed up on the top because I am the biggest there and the only one really capable of pulling someone back up the hill. A couple tj’s went down and the ‘yota went and he messed up. He got off his line by about 5 inches and rolled it onto its driver side door. They crawled out the passenger side door that amazingly stuck in the open position! Guess he never oiled it. It has an exo-cage so nothing was even scratched. We took pics and I pulled him back on wheels and he drove on down. Then came my turn….

I was idling down, no problem and just before I was at the bottom, something happened that I will never forget. It was doing fine and I heard a small innocent click and the motor shut down! I used the clutch and got it down and banked it on a ridge of dirt and raised my bags up for clearance. We looked at this and looked at that and nothing was working. We came to the conclusion that my distributor gear had broken the pin, what puzzled me was even though the pin broke the gear was still kind of tight, it should still spin the rotor but it wouldn’t. Got to thinking and as I realized what had happened, my top of the world feeling want straight to the bottom of the ocean, straight to the abyss! I sat down and my buddy’s asked what was wrong and I told them. This is what happened, a piece of gasket on the oil pic-up tube where it bolts to the pump came loose and locked up my oil pump! Needless to say I knew what had to be done. This has never happened to me before so I sent everyone on with part numbers and other info. They left me food and drinks for my stay up there! I did the work, used a cooler to catch my oil, and sat down and got to thinking….. I got up, took the oil pump apart and removed the piece of gasket, tested it, and put it back together and assembled everything under the engine. By this time I was using flashlights to see. Luckily I used a 1 piece high quality oil pan gasket and was able to reuse it. ( still holding too ) When they got back to me I was waiting for oil and my new distributor. They were very relieved that I had it done. I drove out of school bus in the dark. Those rocks don’t look so big until you hit them at night! We got back around 10 that night. That night I got to see the sun set from the side of the mountain in total silence except for the birds and other animals making sounds, it was peaceful.

The next day was raining so we did Tr 4 and Tr 6. boring.

The next day we hit lower 2. WOW that trail is tough! 3 of us tried it, the high dollar jeep, me and the ‘yota. The jeep winched one, I winched twice and the poor little ‘yota died. In about 1/10th of a second, in the middle of the rock garden, he broke his right side spring, left side block, rear driveshaft, and seriously dented his gas tank. After about 2 hours of winching we had him up. At the top, he rolled back about 6 inches and his pinion went into the side of his gas tank and it busted. I backed up to him and we hooked up, I lifted his rear and was towing him until…. His rear winch broke off and it dropped to the ground. I ended up wasting his rear tail light as well. About this time his buddy showed up with a spring so we stopped and put it on, again in the dark. I was able to flat tow him to a trailer.

Our Trip to Tellico was an awesome one, we all had fun!

Yeah, I was a little long winded on this but it was the most interesting ride I’ve ever had at Tellico

Joe

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
sounds like a blast, i have this huge list of trails i want to do before i die, every one of those trails are on it, glad to hear ya had fun, despite some carnage. great story

wes

·
College User
2,018 Posts
That trip sounds like you had a great time, and lots of fun. Makes me want to got even more.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
That's one of the benifits of being full size, you can tow anyone! How did you ever know the oil pump was clogged?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
because when we had the distributor out, the gear would turn the rotor fine so the dist wasn't locked up, however, when we installed it the rotor would move about 1/2 inch and stop every time. The cam turns the distributor by a gear, the gear turns both the rotor and the oil pump. I could tell it wasn't the timing chain ( thank God ) because it had compression in all cylinders. When the oil pump locked up it sheared the roll pin in the distributor gear thus shutting the motor down. I guess its a good design, better shut down than running with no oil.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
That is a good design, when my oil pump quit in my 91 the only way I knew was the stock guage. The rod that turns it had came out and I had very little pressure. I barely did mine in my garage, cant even think about doing one on the trail. That is some skill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts