Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Outdoor Cooking - Smoking & Grilling

Since we keep making new posts for all our smoking and BBQ dinners I thought we should put them all in one thread.

A couple weeks ago I was up in Santa Maria for work and my boss and I went up to Nipomo to a well known place called Jockos. It was pretty much the best Rib eye I have ever eaten. Since it’s a three and a half hour drive each way I can’t really go there every weekend. I could however bring home some of the Red Oak that they cook it on and make my own.

The thing is I didn’t have a charcoal grill. Everything I have runs on Propane. Yesterday My wife and I went to Lowes and I picked up a Master Forge BBQ with an adjustable coal rack so you can adjust the heat. Nice.

Then we went to Costco and picked up a brisket for my smoker, a pack of Filet Minions to BBQ and a salmon filet for my wife. I placed a ½ cup of red wine, ¼ cup of Worchester sauce, salt, pepper and a little garlic salt in a ziplock with the filets. I let them marinate overnight while I put the BBQ together.

This morning I got up and broke in the BBQ with some charcoal, later on I restarted it with a little hickory charcoal and a nice amount of Red Oak chunks. I let it burn good and waited until it settled down to add the Filets. About half way thru cooking I got out some salmon, put some olive oil on it with a bit of salt and pepper then added it on the grill. I also placed on the grill some tri tip that was getting old for my spoiled dogs.

That Red Oak adds a flavor that is fricken awesome. It’s different than the smoker, crisper and stronger but not as deep.

The salmon also came out great.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I made some Jerky in the smoker.

I made about 2 1/2 Lbs. this is only half of it. the rest I'm taking to work.

Closeup.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,445 Posts
ok, if your gonn start a thread on it and show pics, your gonna have to spill the beans too.

directions if you please!

I can tear apart and rebuild a series 60 detroit engine but I cant fry chicken..

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Sure. I started with a 2.75 Lb brisket. I put it in the freezer for about an hour to make it easier to put in the slicer. Then I cut the fat layer off it and made about 1/8” slices.

I made marinade out of 1 cup of Stella Rosa red wine (Sorry honey I’ll buy you more), ½ cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke, two table spoons each of salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I put the meat and a half red onion sliced into a large Ziploc bag then added the marinade. I put it in the fridge overnight making sure to squish it around and flip the bag a few times.

This morning I kicked on the smoker at it’s lowest setting and added some Apple and Mesquite chips that had been soaking in water for an hour. I smoked it at 155*F for about 3 1/2 hours. I pulled it out when it had just the right amount of give.

I will tell you it is better than anything you will buy in a store.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife took some to work last night and I took about half of it to work today. In both places it was gone in 60 seconds. Everyone seemed to like it.

There is more for me but I'll have to make another batch soon.

·
LOG TRUCKIN'
1,804 Posts
Since we keep making new posts for all our smoking and BBQ dinners I thought we should put them all in one thread.

A couple weeks ago I was up in Santa Maria for work and my boss and I went up to Nipomo to a well known place called Jockos. It was pretty much the best Rib eye I have ever eaten. Since it’s a three and a half hour drive each way I can’t really go there every weekend. I could however bring home some of the Red Oak that they cook it on and make my own.

The thing is I didn’t have a charcoal grill. Everything I have runs on Propane. Yesterday My wife and I went to Lowes and I picked up a Master Forge BBQ with an adjustable coal rack so you can adjust the heat. Nice.

Then we went to Costco and picked up a brisket for my smoker, a pack of Filet Minions to BBQ and a salmon filet for my wife. I placed a ½ cup of red wine, ¼ cup of Worchester sauce, salt, pepper and a little garlic salt in a ziplock with the filets. I let them marinate overnight while I put the BBQ together.

This morning I got up and broke in the BBQ with some charcoal, later on I restarted it with a little hickory charcoal and a nice amount of Red Oak chunks. I let it burn good and waited until it settled down to add the Filets. About half way thru cooking I got out some salmon, put some olive oil on it with a bit of salt and pepper then added it on the grill. I also placed on the grill some tri tip that was getting old for my spoiled dogs.

That Red Oak adds a flavor that is fricken awesome. It’s different than the smoker, crisper and stronger but not as deep.

The salmon also came out great.

DUDE :beer You just made me hungry all over again. :beer

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last batch of jerky went over well and since we had the family over for a BBQ to celebrate Rema and my 4th anniversary I thought it was time to make another batch.

I started with a 5 Lb brisket. It was put in the freezer for 1 ½ hours to get it just firm enough to put it through the meat slicer.

*I sliced it in 1/8 inch slices. You can slice it by hand but it will be so much harder than using a slicer that can be bought online for less than $100.

The sliced meat.

Once you have it sliced it’s time to decide what kind of jerky you want. For this batch I will make about 2/3 wine jerky and 1/3 teriyaki jerky.

Wine Jerky marinade 3 Lb
1 ½ cups red wine (Stella Rosa)
1 cup Worchester sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 Red Onion
4 garlic cloves
In a large Ziploc bag add one sliced red onion and 4 or 5 cloves of diced fresh garlic. Add 3Lb of sliced meat then pour in the marinade overnight. Make sure to squish around the bag two or three times and flip it to make sure the marinade permeates the meat evenly.

Teriyaki marinade 1 ½ Lb
2 cups teriyaki juice ( I prefer garlic and onion)
2 lemons
In a large Ziploc bag add two sliced lemons. Add 1 1/2Lb of sliced meat then pour in the teriyaki sauce in and marinade *overnight. Make sure to squish around the bag two or three times and flip it to make sure the marinade permeates the meat evenly.

This morning start by running a wooden squer through the top of each slice of meat, enough to give a ½” gap across the grill of your smoker. This will make it so you can hang it all on each grill and give enough space to make it all cook evenly.

Hang the meat in the grill of your smoker. In my case I use the top and third row removing the non used grills.
For the wood I prefer to use a 50/50 combination of Apple and Mesquite wood chips. I soak them in water for a couple hours before placing them in the smoker and have more on hand if needed. I keep my smoker at a constant temp of 155*F. I have a remote thermometer so I can sit in the house and keep my eye on it.
You might have to add water to the water bin a few times during cooking and more wood chips as well. Since the temps are low you won’t have to go thru much though.

This batch took about 4 hours to get where it had just enough moisture to bend it but not so much that it was like chewing on leather.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While the smoker was working I started up the Charcoal/Red Oak combo. I put in a lot of chunks of Red Oak in and let some burn down before putting on the chicken. Both the chicken and rib eyes just got a light coating on Jockos mix (Salt, Pepper and Garlic powder).
I moved the coals to the back of the bbq and added some more chunks as I went along.

Once the chicken was at 170* I moved it to the top rack and started the Rib eyes.

The Rib Eyes

The Chicken

The Salmon

The whole table

If you could only taste that over the internet.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
The last batch of jerky went over well and since we had the family over for a BBQ to celebrate Rema and my 4th anniversary I thought it was time to make another batch.
Congrats. :thumbup You've been around here a long time and its always nice to hear when things work out for folks.

Now, on the whole smoker thing... when you say something about the temp, I picture throwing more wood on the fire. I've never examined one of these fancy smoker things ya'll speak of... I wanna know the technicalities of how it works. Sorry, I'm detail obsessed like that.

When ya'll say outside cooking, I think of my cast iron dutch ovens with biscuits and cobbler and everything I need in the chuck box on the back of an 1880's wagon. :haha

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Mel, it's a balancing act of wood, air, and time. A good smoker is easy to maintain a temp, a cheap one is a pain in the butt.

I picked the art up pretty quick but some people struggle and they get frustrate and give up.

Here is my custom smoker,

Drunk chicken smoked,

Ribeyes that is grilled on the firebox and kept warm in the smoke which gave it some flavor,

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats. :thumbup You've been around here a long time and its always nice to hear when things work out for folks.

Now, on the whole smoker thing... when you say something about the temp, I picture throwing more wood on the fire. I've never examined one of these fancy smoker things ya'll speak of... I wanna know the technicalities of how it works. Sorry, I'm detail obsessed like that.
Yes things have been great. Best four years of my life.

As for that fancy smoker I speak of, it is a vertical propane smoker. The reason I chose a vertical on is for space management. The reason I chose propane is for easier temperature control.

The smoker is a four rack two door unit. The two doors make it easy to add water or wood chips without opening the main cooking area.
Over the burner is a wood pan that I modified by using a cast iron pan with the handle cut off. The original wood pan design made it too easy for the wood to catch fire and overheat the smoker. So far this mod works great. There is a water pan over that. You can use plain water or add other things such as apple cider vinegar to add a little more flavor. The drippings also can fall in it then get redistributed into the air.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
So is there anything on the wood in the cast iron pan? Or just the soaking in water you do before using it? And I like the propane, I can see how how easily you can control the temp... Its not like cooking over a fire in my dutch ovens... we usually have a fire for the coals and have good coals at the ready, for something that takes a long time to cook, you just keep adding more coals. As much as I love my dutch oven cowboy cooking, its a real chore and not something you just walk off and leave... it takes checking every 15-20 minutes, turning the pot or lid as needed and so on. But its fun... :) I wish I could do it more often.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is there anything on the wood in the cast iron pan? Or just the soaking in water you do before using it?
The woodchips are soaked in water for an hour or two beforehand. It keeps the heat from making them combust. Some others don't do this, they just put them in dry.

With jerky the low temp uses just the amount in the pan. When cooking something at a higher temp you go thru about three pans of them. At least I did before going to the cast iron pan. Now I might not go thru as much.

Haha The chicken I cooked last night came in a two pack. I cooked the other one tonight. Everyone got take home yesterday so the chicken was gone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Uhg - it was way too early fo rme to look at this thread. That steak looks spectacular!

...and the chicken.

... and the ... I just need to get breakfast.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts