Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was decided to repack my hubs, first time I have done it. I found one thing interesting is that the outer bearing on both hubs did not have a race? The inner one did but not the outer, the bearing looked fine when I cleaned it up. So I guess my question is should I have a race, the pub says I should? And if I do where can I find just the race, need two? I found part number LM501310 on Amazon. Looked at the Timken website and the part description did not help.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, there is definitely a cup pressed into your hub bore for both bearings. The base hub material likely won't survive long handling the load from the tapered rollers. Not to mention the hub bore is cylindrical but the cup is necessarily tapered on its ID.

Can you post a picture or two? I feel like I've got to see this. I don't see how the hub could be even remotely stable without a fully functioning outer bearing.

Unfortunately I can't help you on part numbers for the 89, I understand Ford starting changing stuff. I didn't replace any cups or cones in my hubs so I didn't even document what was in there when I repacked the bearings.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the outer bearing it's the outer race I am looking for. The outer bearings on both sides looked pretty good with not haveing a race Installed.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I am an idiot, when doing this by porch light and greasy fingers I just rushed looking for the outer race in the hub and missed it. So with that being said, I already packed the inner and outer bearings, set the inner race and bearing and installed the seal. Is it imperative that I remove the outer race clean it up and set it back in? Its not the end of the world if I have to, it will just take about an hour to get a slide hammer for a 3 minute job.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
How'd the old inner race look? If it looked good, and you're comfortable with making a few assumptions, I would run it. I do not think these are matched sets anymore as you can buy cups and cones separately. Or, you could just pull the hub assembly back off, wipe grease off the cup, and give it a visual inspection. That literally is a 3 minute job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts