Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I searched, I read that a 36" SS TSL won't fit well on the carrier, so I'm curious, what is the largest tire one can safely place on the carrier w/o causing damage?

I'm wanting to mount a 35x12.50 BFG MT.

~Jeff

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I think some guys have mounted a 35 before(not sure) but if it does fit and you leave it there for any length of time you wil rip the sheet metal right off your tail gate.

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
I am not for sure but the wieght of a 35 will probably stress the sheet metal where the tire carrier mounts and cause some warpage or bending. I would safely bet a 33 would be OK but I havent tried cause my carrier rusted off!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How/where do you guys mount the spare then?

~Jeff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
redwagon said:
actually in process of building a custom rr bumper/spare tire carrier.
How about some pics? I have a fabricator who is going to make my front and rear bumpers, but hadn't thought about needing to worry about a custom spare....

~Jeff

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
32 11.50 is a large as you wanna go....larger than that will rip the sheet metal off......

·
Southeast Utah Native
919 Posts
My original 31x10.50 was too much for the tire carrier.

As for custom made tire carriers on the bumper your best bet is searching, it's been done dozens of different ways by hundreds of people & most of us have talked about what we did at one time or another.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Just mount the tire on the bumper.

I only know of one guy that has gotten away with a 35 on the stock tire thing, BigBroncoJeff, but he lives in Texas (no rust). He is the exception to the rule though.

If that was at all confusing, DON'T DO IT! :toothless

·
Registered
415 Posts
i had a 33 on my stock carrier, but it ripped out of the quarter panel, now im building a Custom rear bumper/Spare Tire Carrier. there is a thread about it with pics in the Fabrication forum.
My dad on the other hand is running a 35x12.50 on his stock, with a high lift, and is having no problems at all. when i finish my bumper, if he likes it, then i will probobly be building one for him also.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Horizon said:
How about some pics? I have a fabricator who is going to make my front and rear bumpers, but hadn't thought about needing to worry about a custom spare....

~Jeff
check in the fabrication thread...theres a few of us building rr bumpers at the moment.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I had a 35x12.5 on mine for a couple years no issues. course it was always latched. latch comes loose you've got over 80 lbs flying somewhere.

I now have a 99lb 37" on there. I don't wheel with it back there, it goes in the bed.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
havent been wheelin with it back there yet. and haven't had any gas in the can either.
i neeeeed to make a tire carrier badly.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I was at the junk yard picking for parts the other day. Is $75 a decent price for a stock tire carrier?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I'll be in SoCal in three weeks. I'll be in Cabazon outside of L.A. going to a NIN show so I won't have time to pick one up, but thanks for the offer.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
BroncoSka said:
havent been wheelin with it back there yet. and haven't had any gas in the can either.
i neeeeed to make a tire carrier badly.
It's pretty easy not to add 35+ lbs worth of gas on the carrier:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm running with a 36x14.50 on the back and have had no problems on the street or on the trails so far. It has been on there for around 6 months now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts