Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a coolant flush and installed a new thermostat a couple of weeks ago because I didn't have very good heat. The Bronco heats well now, but a problem persists from before I made the repair: when coming up to operating temp it will rise all the way to the 'L', then settle between 'R' and 'M' and stay there for the duration of the trip. It seems to me like the thermostat is waiting too long to open. It came from Carquest and is a 195 degree unit. Too hot? It is also installed correctly (spring towards the block IIRC).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Does the engine actually get that hot? My temp gauge rises all the way to the top, then drops down to the O, but I can make it do the same thing if I short out the sender wire to ground. It's a problem of some sort with the gauge, not the engine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking it's not so much in the gauge, since it rises all the way from pegged cold at -5 below like it was this morning, slowly up after warming up for 10 minutes and 5 more down the road until it reaches 'L'. Then it slowly drops down to it's regular resting spot. How about my clutch fan not kicking in until it's real damn hot?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Yeah, but what's the actual temperature of the engine while it's doing that?

I have one of those no-touch harbor freight thermometers, because I was wigging out when my temp gauge started doing this, and the engine is hardly
even warm.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
i run a 160. gets so damn hot in TX my truck was running real hot all the time when i had a 195.
You should be running a 195 degree thermostat in your truck, a 160 doesn't do anything good for your engine.

If you have inadequate cooling, then you need to address that problem... not bandaid it with duct tape.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i highly doubt that its a problem with your clutch fan. You would be surprised how little it is needed once you get moving.

Hell, once you are on the highway or something its actually not needed at all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update:

I re-bled the coolant system today at work and got a huge burp of air. The Bronco had a big air pocket in the heater core, causing the initial overheating problem I was having. Also, the heat is insane...literally, it should be committed.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I believe it is the tstat. the one i had before this one used to do that, then i replaced it and now it doesnt. mine goes to the r then settles in between te n and the o, but i also have a big 4 core radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts