Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it's not a bronco but I think some of you master mechanics can help me out here. I have a neighbor that has a early 90's Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0L, 65,000 orginal miles. Yes that's correct she doesn't drive like a nut and is an older lady. It's probably never been over 65 MPH. Anyway, it's over heating. I don't see any leakage anywhere around the block. No water/oil mix. I took it down the road and it gradually got hot. Came back to the house and the top hose to the radiator and all heater hoses were very hot. I checked the lower hose and it wasn't even warm. So I am thinking that maybe the thermostat isn't opening or the water pump is shot.

So anyone got any ideas as to which one it is or could it be something else?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also something to check.... If I recall some of the newer cars have an electronically controlled thermostat.... There is a wire that goes to them and if it becomes disconnected the thermostat will not work.... Could be something as simple as that but thermostat nonetheless....

I don't know if the exploders are that technologically advanced though....

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just left an explorer (For my bronco :) ) If it's a '91-94 (First gen, the boxy type) it's most likely the thermostat. Had the same exact problem on my '92. It's only a $4 part, just make sure to get the right gasket as they list two but only one fits right. If not just use some RTV gasket maker. It's only 3 bolts that hold it on. Two are a major PITA to get out but after tearing up your knuckles you'll be able to get it out :) They claim you need to drain coolant first but I just jacked up the front end and dealt with the small spill. Good luck!

EDIT: I should add that there is no electrical connection on the first gen X's I don't know about any later models. It simply sits there and does it's job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts