Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
overdrive help and have to replace AOD HELP

Hello,
I am new to this site but I want to start be saying this is a great site with great people. I have been reading it for days but still need more info.

I just bought a 1989 Bronco With a 302 and AOD trans.
When I put the truck in Od, I can get up to about 45+ and then it just revs. so I have to shift into Drive.
When I drive in D it is fine, but I would like to drive it on the freeway LOL.
Do I need a new tranny or can it be fixed?
Please help.
Thanks for your time

·
penis
3,320 Posts
First congrats on being the first new person I have seen to actually post something with some decent info, Ok. now on to your problem if it is an AOD it could be a couple things lets start simple here for a sec, How is the fluid is it dirt burnt even there? Is your shifter actually engaging or jumping over the overdrive selector? I.E. you put it in over drive but it is actually only reading drive if so this mean the shift lever is out of adjustment this can also lead to it boucing out of gear as well. A way to test this is simple go for a drive and manually shift it through the gears around 2000-2500 RPMS you should feel a little bump when you shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. But first is your bronco equipped with an AOD cancelation switch? If so make sure the light is on (off light) when you press it. Now the next part is the TV (throttle valve) cable this runs from your throttle body to the side of the tranny actually tells the tranny when to shift. You are going to want to make sure it is adjusted properly.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
AOD transmissions don't have an O/D cancel switch. Only the E4OD transmission-equipped Broncos have this switch.

If your other shifts seem to be fine, you could have a burned OD band, which is fairly common with the AOD.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
AOD transmissions don't have an O/D cancel switch. Only the E4OD transmission-equipped Broncos have this switch.

If your other shifts seem to be fine, you could have a burned OD band, which is fairly common with the AOD.
My 89 had a OD cancelation switch.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Your 89 didn't have an AOD transmission then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trans. fluid was ok, not brunt, and full but it was a litte on the darker side of red so I changed the fluid and gasket and filter and added lucus hopeing it would help not hurt anything.
No overdrive button.
I am not sure about OD cancelation Switch. If it had one where would it be?
What if the OD band burned up ? How do I check? How do I fix? Is it a DIY job? I know little about Transmissions, but I also have little money.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Step number one, check for T.V. lever movement.
Lying under the vehicle (With it off and in park) look up at where the linkage goes into the drivers side of the transmission. Have a partner depress the gas pedal to the floor and release it. You should have seen a lever move, did you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try it and get back to you.
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a 90 302 but mine is the e40d. Had the same issues as well as stalling at idle in gear I took the IAC off and cleaned it with seafoam and the problem went away within 20 miles of doing this. Like I said though I had an e40d and not a AOD so you may not have an IAC valve maybe someone can help a little more with this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Step one done yes the lever moved.
Step 2
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a IAC Valve and If my bronco with a AOD has one where would I find it?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Idle Air Control valve has nothing to do with the transmission.
I don't know if it does or not. All I can go on is my own experience. I changed the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, transmission fluid adding 2 quarts of lucas transmission slip nothing changed. I took 15 minutes removed the the IAC cleaned with seafoam and toothbrush 20 miles later no more slips shifts into overdrive and runs fine now. I figured I would mention it cause it won't hurt and only takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I get it your saying it is time for a new Transmission. Not what I wanted to hear.
But because I just bought the bronco, I can not afford Monster Transmission.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
You can rebuild it yourself for about $150 and a little time.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW rebuild it ??
I know nothing about the inside of a transmission.
I heard it is pretty hard to rebuild the older AOD tranny, if you have never done it.
The shop AMMCO wanted over $2,000. to rebuild mine.
Not being able to afford that and feeling like that was just to much money, I will try and find a rebuilt I can afford or find one at a bone yard and try and install it at home. I found a couple yards that have AODs for 500.00 with 6 to 1yr warr. which i may do because of being so short on funds right now.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I have had that little grommet that moves the TV cable fail before but usually it will not grab in any gear because it doesn't know where the thottle position is. Kinda sounds like a fried O/D. For clarity AODs have 1/D/OD so there is no need for a O/D cancel button.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
The shop AMMCO wanted over $2,000. to rebuild mine.
Do not do business with AAMCO!!

For now, you can keep driving it, just keep it in D (Not OD)
But eventually, 3rd will fail, then 2nd, then 1st and Reverse.

Do you have any "You Pull it" type yards around you?
My local "Pull-A-Part" only want's $150.00 for any automatic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts