Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seached around, but didn't find anything.

My problem is strange, I have never heard of this happening. I will try to dsecribe it as best I can.

I don't even use the OD unless I'm on the interstate, so I haven't really noticed this for a while.

All lower 3 gear shift and work fine, real smooth.

In OD, as power is applied, the whole stinking truck starts shaking (headlights shaking on the road) feels just like a bad u-joint. The more gas I give it, the more it shakes. Eventually, it will shift down and the shaking stops. Then it will shift back into OD and it starts all over again.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
how is the fluid level while the motor is running? when was the tranny serviced last. how many miles on the tranny?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny level is fine, bright red in color. 189K total miles. Rebuilt 2 years ago around 170k. Serviced march 05.

All other gears work perfect, real smooth. Only in OD is where the shaking starts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My truck used to do something similar, I found that is has gone away now that I have done a "sixliter" tune up. So at least for my truck it wasnt the trans it was that it was the engine, like a miss or stumble that transfered through the drivetrain. Hope that helps, maybe I am way off who knows. :beer

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
when you got your tranny rebuilt did they replace the Torque Convertor? if not that is your problem right there. i would drain the fluid out of the tranny and torque convertor and refill it with fresh new fluid. throw a cooler on it and see how it goes from there. keep us posted

ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lugging in one gear? Doesn't sound right to me. The engine is fine. It has strong compression 105-110 on all 8. It is tuned in perfect. Shouldn't be anything a tune-up will fix.

Feels like the OD is just out of whack or misaligned.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
105-110? That is getting a bit low, isn't it? You torque converter could be breaking inside. I just had mine break and I lost 3rd and OD.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Mine shakes between 65-68 miles per hour. Outside of that i know it runs fine. I also KNOW that my ball joints are shot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts