Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Bronco OHC online and finally installed it over the weekend. everything worked fine at first. (well the temp was off by a few degrees). Then it would sometimes read OC, then go back to the correct temp. after driving around for awhile, it will now flash ICE then the temp for about a minute, then just read -5 degrees. like I said everything else works perfect. I picked up about 6 sensors from the JY. 4 are the same style as the Bronco, and 2 are the explorer style. I have tried all of the ones that will fit without splicing it and they all read ICE when I start the truck. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas before I spliced in the other style. would it do this if the two sensor wires where crossed? BTW the ground is solid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
under a certain temp it will flash back as an ice warning and then just show the temp.

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts
yo D,

96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford

Same as 93 and most earlier years exc. for OBD II, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96) and a few other items (still need time to go through all pages to confirm other differences)

as FUZZ advised;
Overhead Console page 142
Outside temperature display
If the outside temperature is below 39°F (4°C), the word “ICE” will flash in the display
alternately with the outside temperature for about one minute."
READ MORE...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys... and yes I read several threads. Approximately 3 hours worth. Strangely enough (as with several other users that had this problem) it was fine this morning when I started it up. It read 47 degrees on the nose. I will see how it goes throughout the rest of the day and post back if any issues.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If you can just go to a JY and grab another board/module

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driving it today the temp read 52 degrees and never changed. after the truck was cold and hadn't been driven for almost 3 hours I started it up. it showed OC for about 5 seconds, then ICE for about 3 seconds. The it read 58 degrees. The actual temp was approx. 40 degrees. I drove it at below 33 mph for about 2 miles and it dropped 10 degrees. I then drove it for about 5 minutes on the freeway and it read OC again. So I went out and bought a new temp sensor. installed new temp sensor then started the truck. it flashed ICE and -31 degrees for approx. 1 minute, then showed -31 degrees. Turned it off for a few minutes, then back on and it showed the same flash of ICE and -31 degrees. I let the truck run for a few minutes, then it went back to OC. If I push the mode button, it will flash -31 degrees for a few second, but then switch back to OC. I have tested the to both sides of the sensor from the connector at the board, and cannot find any issues with them. I have tried using both styles of sensors and just get the same thing, OC. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just get another board?

___

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are we supposed to know whether or not that's the real temperature where you are? :shrugMaybe there's an intermittent open circuit! :toothlessWhere? What brand & PN?Listen to the radio before you leave the house - they'll tell you the temperature. :clavin
Did you read the entire thread :deal All the information you are asking is there except for the information on the new sensor, which was purchased from O'reilly, BWD brand, part number WT3098.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions I guess it the question I should have asked.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got in the truck this afternoon around 11am and the temp read 49. the actual temp was 49. ran the truck for a few minutes and the temp on the gauge rose to 51. shut the truck off and started back up about 20 minutes later and the temp was correct again. started the truck about an hour and a half later, and the gauge read OC. Pulled everything off and rewired the entire thing. I wired it to different wires where I could (same type of connection, just from a different location). Still it read OC. If I press the mode button, it will jump to ICE then to a temp, and not necessarily the correct temp. turn the truck off then back on, and it reads OC again.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Your module/circuit board whatever you want to call it is probably toast. That does tend to happen on a piece of 20 + year old electronics.
Disassemble the console and inspect the board for any burnt resistors or capacitors etc.
You seem to be hung up on this being a faulty sensor, well its not.
Its erratic behavior is probably being caused by a faulty wire, bad ground or bad component on the board.
Does the compass work? Where did you get this thing?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your module/circuit board whatever you want to call it is probably toast. That does tend to happen on a piece of 20 + year old electronics.
Disassemble the console and inspect the board for any burnt resistors or capacitors etc.
You seem to be hung up on this being a faulty sensor, well its not.
Its erratic behavior is probably being caused by a faulty wire, bad ground or bad component on the board.
Does the compass work? Where did you get this thing?
Thanks JScatt... I just picked up an older board from an explorer. Once I put it in I stopped receiving the ICE and OC errors. I wasn't hung up on the sensor... It was the only other items I had to troubleshoot with at the time, and I had read in one of the posts that the explorer board wouldn't work with the bronco sensor. So I wasn't sure if it was the other way around as well and tried several others just to test. I had already rewired everything as well, and then tested the connections for continuity.
As I stated earlier everything else with it works perfectly (including the compass). I bought it off ebay and was told it was in working order. Obviously not.

So now I'm running the explorer board with the explorer sensor. When starting the truck up after sitting for over 2 hours the temp reads correctly, but when driving the temp will not raise when I know the temp has gone up over 10 degrees. I live in a cold belt where a lot of the time it is 5 to 10 degrees colder than it is 5 minutes into town. Also, my home thermometer read 49 when I left the house, and by the time I got to town, the thermometer there read 60. after sitting for only about and hour, I started the truck back up and it still read 49 degrees. My wife's brand new car that was next to me, read 65 degrees. When I got back to my house, the temp there was almost 60 degrees, but the truck still read 49. after about an hour I pulled the sensor and put it back in place. I just turned the ignition to run, and the temperature read about 15 degrees higher than it really was, but started to slowly decrease down to the correct temp. Does this sound like maybe another bad board? maybe the connection to the PSOM is not functioning as it should? I read somewhere on one of the other treads about a similar issue, but it wasn't exactly the same. Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so what was done to correct it. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're not gonna read the one that obviates this thread, why should I try to unscramble your ramblings? :rolleyes:You'd get the SAME answer. :thumbup It seems like you should have asked for a silver spoon.
Thanks, but if you are not going to read the tread itself, then please just don't answer. I'm trying to get something fixed. If you just don't have any information, or cannot take the same criticism that you so eagerly dish out, then please don't respond. I truly thank you for your help, but you are not reading this thread in it's entirety. I answered all of your questions before you asked them except for the part number, and even with that information you give noting in return. If all you have to say is, "the SAME answer", then don't bother. I see a lot of your replies to other users along with your condescending tone toward pretty much any thing, and it just gets tiresome. I'm not saying you don't have good and helpful information, but to be honest, sometimes it's just not worth weeding through your BS. Thank you for your attempt at helping.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Don't forget these consoles were also wired to the VSS to accommodate for speed/wind chill factors.
Is this a Explorer OHC you are installing and wiring it from scratch?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Thanks, but if you are not going to read the tread itself, then please just don't answer. I'm trying to get something fixed. If you just don't have any information, or cannot take the same criticism that you so eagerly dish out, then please don't respond. I truly thank you for your help, but you are not reading this thread in it's entirety. I answered all of your questions before you asked them except for the part number, and even with that information you give noting in return. If all you have to say is, "the SAME answer", then don't bother. I see a lot of your replies to other users along with your condescending tone toward pretty much any thing, and it just gets tiresome. I'm not saying you don't have good and helpful information, but to be honest, sometimes it's just not worth weeding through your BS. Thank you for your attempt at helping.
HAHA yeah I can see how you can get frustrated with Ole 83....but with the wealth of knowledge and very very useful info he provides.....

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Thanks JScatt... I just picked up an older board from an explorer. Once I put it in I stopped receiving the ICE and OC errors. I wasn't hung up on the sensor... It was the only other items I had to troubleshoot with at the time, and I had read in one of the posts that the explorer board wouldn't work with the bronco sensor. So I wasn't sure if it was the other way around as well and tried several others just to test. I had already rewired everything as well, and then tested the connections for continuity.
As I stated earlier everything else with it works perfectly (including the compass). I bought it off ebay and was told it was in working order. Obviously not.

So now I'm running the explorer board with the explorer sensor. When starting the truck up after sitting for over 2 hours the temp reads correctly, but when driving the temp will not raise when I know the temp has gone up over 10 degrees. I live in a cold belt where a lot of the time it is 5 to 10 degrees colder than it is 5 minutes into town. Also, my home thermometer read 49 when I left the house, and by the time I got to town, the thermometer there read 60. after sitting for only about and hour, I started the truck back up and it still read 49 degrees. My wife's brand new car that was next to me, read 65 degrees. When I got back to my house, the temp there was almost 60 degrees, but the truck still read 49. after about an hour I pulled the sensor and put it back in place. I just turned the ignition to run, and the temperature read about 15 degrees higher than it really was, but started to slowly decrease down to the correct temp. Does this sound like maybe another bad board? maybe the connection to the PSOM is not functioning as it should? I read somewhere on one of the other treads about a similar issue, but it wasn't exactly the same. Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so what was done to correct it. Thanks in advance!
That sentence above should be the correct workings of it, from my experience. I actually bought a bronco console from Steve83 and it has worked no problem since. What it appears to do is it will not immediately have the correct temp for me on startup. That may be based on final readings before shutting off. However within a couple minutes it immediately begins to change temps if there is a difference outside. Mine does not automatically change to a new correct temp, it slowly climbs or falls, likely as it receives new input from the sensor every so often, until it reads accurately. And mine has always been accurate as best I can tell, within a couple degrees of what I know is accurate. As I said though, this isn't instant, unless of course it was say 30* last you drove it, and then when you started it the next day it was about 30* again. We have days here that may end in 65* in winter, but the next day if I start it and it's 27*, it won't be accurate for a few minutes until it collects some new readings.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't forget these consoles were also wired to the VSS to accommodate for speed/wind chill factors.
Is this a Explorer OHC you are installing and wiring it from scratch?
from what i read, i was supposed to wire the vss wire to the PSOM... Is that not correct?

the original was out of a bronco. the replacement that is in it now is from a 90 explorer with the sensor from the same.

Yes, its being wired from scratch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts