Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This writeup shows how to swap your overhead console module for another, its my first writeup so i hope it turns out right

Start by opening the garage door opener holder, you will see two screws, take those out

then on the front of the console by the windshield there is another screw, it is in the hole in the middle of this pic

unplug the connector and take it down, this is the part that you will replace

take the two screws out holding the white part on

then take out the screw at the top

take out the module and lights

empty shell

pic of the plate used to hold it up

before buying a module at the jy take the module and open it to make sure theres no burned spots or things missing, this one is good

plug it in and test it if you want

install in shell and put the console back up make sure to plug in the connector

working display

hold the mode button till VAR comes up look at this map from Steve83's supermotors, im in mid TN so i went to 8, look at the map and calibrate yours according to where you live

find an open parking lot, hold the mode button until it says CAL to calibrate the compass, drive around in circles at 3mph until the CAL goes away and you are done

there are two types from what ive found but they both are interchangable

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a great write-up. Especially for your first one.
thanks

frigured i would try and resurect this... does anyone have a spare one.. i wanna incorporate this in my 96 xlt... i hear its fairly simple to do .. and i dont want an exploder one...

anyone have idears??
only way would be to find a bronco one and paint it gray. you would also need the harness that goes from the console to a plug behind the parking brake, and a temp sensor

The display in my compass is not showing up on my 1996 EB Bronco. Does this mean the board is bad?
if it comes on when you first turn the key and then nothing after that then yes

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks

only way would be to find a bronco one and paint it gray. you would also need the harness that goes from the console to a plug behind the parking brake, and a temp sensor

if it comes on when you first turn the key and then nothing after that then yes
it doesn't come on at all, even when you first turn the key. Suggestions?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would check the fuses, if they're good then I would pull the module out and open it up

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
The display in my compass is not showing up on my 1996 EB Bronco. Does this mean the board is bad?

No, most likely one of the 510 resistors broke loose... This is a very common problem, the board gets so hot that the resistor unsolders itself... All you have to do is take the console apart, resolder the 510 resistor (resolder both, so you won't have to take it apart again), plug it back in to make sure it works, then reassemble... I did this to a OHC from a 99 explorer limited, its really easy to do....

Read this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318993&highlight=overhead+console

1 - 8 of 8 Posts