Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but have not came across what Im looking for.

I found an Explorer OHC at the junk yard for $10. I wasn't quite sure what I needed, so I grabbed everything I could think of (console and about 12" of wiring, bracket, temp sensor, thing sensor plugs into with about 12" of wiring). I have no problems with the wiring part of the install.

My question is, does my Bronco (a 1993) have the necessary metal plate in the roof the console bracket attaches to? From what I can tell the 94-96 came with them, but what about 93?

Other threads have successfully mounted the console directly to the headliner, but I want to mount it similar to the factory way.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
If yours did not come with the OHC, it does NOT have the mounting plate. On 94-96, the 4 holes are in the roof to mount the plate to, not sure about 92 and 93.

Also, the explorer console does not mount the same way as the Bronco and do not use the same mounting bracket.

The other thing you could grab is any gentex autodimming mirror, its a nice feature to have and most explorers with the OHC had that option, so the wiring should be there for it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the plate, maybe we are talking about the same thing, maybe not. I guess I need to pull the headliner down and see if I have the 4 holes to mount the plate to.

Obiously, the area where the 4 holes are is not the outer skin for the roof. I figure as long as I have that bracket (the one with the 4 holes) I can get the explorer OHC to work.

When you say the Exp. and the BKO consoles don't mount the same, what do you mean? Just because of the size difference between the two, I assume the BKO mounting bracket and Exp mounting bracket are not the same. Are there differences other than that?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
On 94-96 Broncos there are four holes in the roof. Using these 4 holes, there is a mounting bracket that you attach to the roof. The console itself attaches to the bracket, which attaches to the roof.

The explorer OHC's mount over the window trim, the Broncos do not. The Broncos mount to the flat part of the roof, the explorers mount to the curved part of it.

In summary, they do not mount to the same part of the roof, they use different brackets and the brackets are not interchangable. Even if you have the holes in the roof for the bracket, the explorer bracket cannot utilize all the holes.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Explorer:

Bronco:

See the difference in the mounting location. Even if they did use the same brackets, the holes would not be in the proper place since the Explorer is closer to the windshield.

Also if you mount the explorer in the Bronco stock location, it will look silly with that big indent in the plastic on the sides so that it mounts flush with the windshield trim.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justin, thanks for the pictures. They help alot.

Does anybody happen to know if the hole in the Bronco head liner to accomodate the factory OHC are shaped like the mounting bracket, or are they square? I have about a 4"x4" (maybe larger) hole in the headliner (looks pressed out, not cut out) with what looks like 4 screw holes around it. Initially I thought it was for an OHC, but then read on here that OHCs were not available unitl '94....

Does that sound like what the factory OHC head liner looks like?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
A picture says a thousand words, take a pic of what you are talking about. But the factory hole for the OHC is about 1 ft wide and 2-2.5 ft long and is contoured to the body of the OHC, not square.

Dome lights had a square hole with 3 screws, not 4.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Justin, thanks for the pictures. They help alot.

Does anybody happen to know if the hole in the Bronco head liner to accomodate the factory OHC are shaped like the mounting bracket, or are they square? I have about a 4"x4" (maybe larger) hole in the headliner (looks pressed out, not cut out) with what looks like 4 screw holes around it. Initially I thought it was for an OHC, but then read on here that OHCs were not available unitl '94....

Does that sound like what the factory OHC head liner looks like?
That sounds more like for some small lighting. The cutout really needs to be shaped like the OHC. I'm not sure if the pics of the headliner I copied was from a stock cutout:

but that's what I went with. trying to get the wiring all fished through there properly and get it screwed up into the plate you need some room to work.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I bet you somebody had a small fold down LCD screen installed right there.

But no, that is not the hole for the factory OHC.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All right, I started the install. So far I have taken the headliner down, measured, and cut out the area for the mounting plate. Wiring is next.....
I'm pretty clear about wiring the lights, the power, ground, and temp sensor. I also noticed that not many people wire the VSS connector.

I want to hook up the VSS. Does this get hooked up the "+" of "-" of the VSS?

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did look through your album. I also looked through the write-up at the ranger station. Very good diagrams about what pins go to what.

The explorer uses pin #4 for the VSS. Am I safe in assuming that it hooks up to the "+" side of the VSS on the rear end? I only ask because the VSS has 2 wires that go back to the EEC, on is positive and one is negative. Also, the VSS works with the cruise control, and I don't want to do anything that will keep the CC from working.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Hey shadofax, where did you get those seat covers. I like the way they look and would like to get some.
Wet Okole, don't remember which place I bought them from, but there is a seat cover thread where I posted more info.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe we are not on the same page. I understand the wire at the OHC is gy/blk, but where does the other end of that wire hook up to? All the wire diagram for the explorer shows is that it hooks up to the "engine controls". So again..... where does the gy/blk wire, which was referred to as pin #4 above, hook up?

I mentioned the rear end because I was under the impression that is where the VSS is located. I have not actually searched it, but from all of the "rear end swap" threads I have read, I thought it was attached to the rear end.

Also, maybe it was for ease of understanding, but the EEC-IV wiring diagrams provided by TMoss (HERE) show the VSS as a "+" and "-" system. That diagram shows that the "+" side of the VSS sensor goes to pin #3 on the EEC. Is this where I should tie in the gy/blk wire from the Explorer OHC?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The GY/BLK wire is circuit 679 - it goes to four places. To pin #3 on the PCM, to pin #6 on the Speed Control Servo/Amplifier Assembly, and to pin #7 on the PSOM. It also goes to the GY/BLK wire on your overhead console. IT DOES NOT GO DIRECTLY TO THE REAR AXLE VSS.

The PK/O wire goes to ground (G200)

You really need to buy yourself the EVTM for your Bronco, it'll save you a lot of time in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just FYI, I added the factory (Bronco not Explorer) to my 93 by simply using some small screws/washers/nuts to hold the console to the headliner itself. The headliner has a fairly sturdy fiberglass backing thats plenty strong enough to hold up that console. I'd provide pics, but I did it years ago.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool man. Steve83, thanks for hanging around this thread. I was indeed looking at the wrong wiring schematic (I was looking at the Exp, not the Bronco). I'll try to locate the gy/blk wire behind the cluster and tie into it there. It looks like everything else is pretty self explanatory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts