Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my bronco started overheating during normal driving. I replaced the thermostat and temperature sender and the problem was solved, it was running great.

About a week later it started again, and here's what I've noticed:

It doesn't seem to be leaking fluid from the thermostat housing.
After multiple flushes my coolant still looks like rusty water+antifreeze
If I crawl underneath the truck theres a couple drops of coolant hanging from behind the harmonic balancer area.

I read in a few threads this could be the water pump weep hole, but I want to verify before I start working on changing the water pump.

I have reason to believe the previous owner used that radiator stop leak gunk, and curious if I should go ahead and replace the radiator and heater core even though I can find any leaks since it may be gummed up with crap.

I've never replaced a water pump, and I have to rent a booth at the auto hobby shop on base, but that only gives me about 8 hours to complete it, or I have to pay to store it there for a week until the next weekend rolls around and I have time to get to work again.

Any tips/tricks or other ideas would be appreciated, I don't SUSPECT the thermostat has gone bad again in just a weeks time, unless the crap in the coolant clogged it, and there still is the coolant behind the harmonic balancer so there is a small leak somewhere.

Thanks!
-Alex

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
stop leak is never good. you could very well have a clog and coolant could be pissing out from some were else, the weep hole does make sense tho. if it comes down to it changing the water pump isn't to bad of a job, just soak all the bolts/nut/studs with some pb blaster or some thing similar

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I would get a t fluch kit from wal mart and flush it with water hose till water comes out clear. Change the water pump too, cant hurt nothing, and it is cheap. especially if you notice it coming from the weep hole. Also your fan clutch is good too right?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
oh yeah your water pump will not take you 8 hours. if it doesnt take me that long to pull an engine it cant take that long to change a water pump. I took me 5 on a dodge van and that was cause there was no room to work

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Fluid at the weep hole means that your water pump is done. Depending on how bad things inside the pump are it may not be moving coolant like it should, so changing the pump is going to be your next thing to do. It's one of those jobs that isn't hard per se, but it can turn into a pain in the ass. It's not uncommon for water pump bolts to be seized due to coolant leaking out onto them, and sometimes they snap off. Mine didn't when I changed out my pump, but they certainly were in bad shape. Since time is a factor for you it may be a good idea to go ahead and buy new water pump bolts at the same time you buy the pump, and just return them if it turns out you don't need them. I think the water pump bolt kit was only about $6 at Advance, so it's fairly cheap insurance.

Changing the pump may or may not take care of your cooling problem, but it definitely needs to be changed since it's weeping. I would hold off on the radiator at this time to see if the water pump fixes the issue.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies, and yes my fan clutch SEEMS good, i wont lie I didn't fully understand the instructions on Steve83's Fan Clutch test post, but I followed them to the best of my knowledge and it seemed good.

The bolts breaking is what concerns me only because I don't really know what tools the auto hobby shop will have at my disposal. If they do break it should just be drilling them out right? I've never done it personally so it'd be a learning experience.

Honestly the hardest part is going to be reaching the pump easily. My truck is lifted, and the only bay it fits in is the lift bay, and that adds an extra two feet to the overall height haha.

When I did my thermostat I was using a ladder.. it was... a sight I guess..

So what other purchases go along with a water pump? Just a water pump gasket, some rtv, and a new lower radiator hose(since I'm there might as well)?

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
So what other purchases go along with a water pump? Just a water pump gasket, some rtv, and a new lower radiator hose(since I'm there might as well)?
"the right stuff" is prlly one of the best rtv's ive seen and i would look in to above mentioned water pump bolts, rad cap if it's been a while and some coolant:thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Before you replace your water pump, or during the time you do replace your water pump, you should check/replace the 3 hoses above the water pump (heater core hose, tstat bypass and throttle body coolant hose). My bypass hose was leaking and when it does, water will drip down like it would as if the water pump was going. I changed it and then a month later, had to change the pump anyways :doh0715:

As a matter of fact, if the hoses have not been replaced in a while, it may be beneficial to replace them all, especially if you are changing the pump. A lot of times, you will replace the water pump and a hose or two and the increased pressure will blow other hoses out... plus if they are gunked up, that will release itself back into the system at some point after you change it all out.

You may also want to break the bolts on the pump loose before you take it to the bay, then tighten em back up for the trip. That way you will know if you are going to have issues or not prior to going, and as mentioned, soak them bitches for a week or so before starting on the project, then put anti-sieze on em when you put them back in.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Replacing the water pump isn't bad at all. I just did an entire serpentine belt swap as well as timing chain and I hadn't done any of it before. It's all pretty straight forward. You can definitely get it done in a lot less than 8 hours if your bolts come out. As mentioned, soak them in PB Blaster or similar for a week or two ahead of time spraying them daily. I would also agree with getting the radiator/coolant flush kit. That was one of the first things I did with my truck and all kinds of nasty coolant came out. Ran it til it was clear and I've had correctly colored coolant ever since. It's cheap, easy and definitely at least can't hurt even if it isn't necessary but it also could help get "gunk" out of your cooling system.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i broke two water pump bolts the first time i did mine and i used a pair of vice grips and a blue torch wrench to get them out

·
Yar
1,440 Posts
i did my water pump recently and while i was in there i did the radiator also, made a whole lot more room to work with the radiator out, didnt break a bolt at all. no problems, went very smooth and now its runnin great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts