Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 89 with a 302 we converted to carbureted, new "painless" wiring harness, original serpentine belt setup, new reverse flow waterpump, new thermostat (checked in water on stove - OK), ran for about 15 min, got up to 245 degrees, have new mechanical Auto meter water temp guage. Is there a way to check from looking at the water pump to make sure I got the right rotation pump. Suction inlet is on bottom drivers side. Also could the heater hoses be causing a lock, I currently have them hooked up to the two ports on the water pump, and have blocked off the port on the thermostat housing. Any other ideas to what might be causing this problem ? Just got this thing running and dont want to hurt anything. THANKS

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Sometimes when you refill the cooling system you need to "burp" all the air out which can cause over heating issues so run the engine with the radiator cap off until all the air bubbles subside, topping off the coolant level to the bottom of the neck and make sure the thermostat is installed correctly with the correct OEM degree for the vehicle, mine is 195*.

The heater hoses hooked up to the heater core at the firewall, usually the left hose going to the water pump is the "return line" and the hose on the right usually going the long tube/tree or middle of the intake manifold is the "inline" so if they're hooked up incorrectly it might only affect heat you get....

I can't speak for that style water pump so either check where you bought it or maybe someone here will jump in.....wp ports vs t-stat port I don't is a problem....?

With the radiator cap off, fire up the engine and watch the coolant in the neck if it starts "racing" like boiling water either immediatley or shortly after the engine is running it could be an indication you have a blown head gasket....especially if there is a "burnt" smell in the neck...otherwise it might just be the water pump....IDK...once you figure this out I would "backflush" the cooling system if you haven't done so in awhile and clean out any rusty, sludgey debris.

Additionial help....www.broncolinks.com

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts