Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how to cure the hot starter problem? When I put dual exhaust on my Bronco the starter heat shield went out the window.Ever since my starter after about a half our in summer time heat will get sluggish.I put some chrome air conditioning tape on it and it helps a little.Ive seen in some racing catalogs starter heat blankets. Do they work? Ive been thinking about a gear reduction starter,I know they are pricy but will it help.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
when i put headers and high flow exhaust onmine, my starter whne soon after. the stock heater sheild did fit back on. i knew i only had a little time to wrok with before it went. and it didnt take long.

i bought that starter blanket, and it worked greta for me.did exactly what it was supposed to. it wasa little big, and could use to be trimmed for width, but i put the whole thing one, it will wrap a little more than once, so if you plan, you can get the starter protected in the worst stop twice.

T

·
0 Posts
Same here, I didn't use the blanket, I got heat tape and wrapped the header, still the starter would only last a couple years at best.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
i know the gear reduction starters are smaller and that will get you away from the exhaust a little. plus you can wrap it. hey has anyone put a sheild on the exhaust pipe? or tried header wrap in that area along with the starter blanket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts