Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont do it! The only exception is if they are tethered down.

Was driving to work this morning on the 70mph highway, when I notice a dog about to jump out of a truck going the opposite way. Then he jumped. He hit and rolled at least 5 times. I immediately get off the highway and flip around to speed back north. I finally get in the left lane, looking in the median for a brown dog. I spot him, curled up laying down. So I walk up, talking to him and scratch is head softly. After a quick look for compound fractures, I see none, and pick up his 100 pound body and carry him to my van. He crawls in and over to the passenger seat, where he sits up for a few minutes. He then walked to the back and found a pile of coats and layed down.

By this time I'm facing south again, flashers on and looking for a red truck with a trailer, on the side of US75. Both a sherriff and a motorist assist pull up and as we are about to load the poor pup into the sheriff's SUV, the owners had thankfully shown back up, obviously distraught. They too had turned around twice and were facing the original direction.

The pup was a boxer mix. He had multiple scrapes down to the flesh on his chin and his elbows and thigh, and a small one on a paw. I really hope he doesnt have internal injuries. He was the sweetest thing and never once growled at me, like a hurt animal will often do. I wish I could be snuggling up to him.

So again, DONT HAUL YOUR DOG IN THE OPEN BED OF A TRUCK! Or I'll come punch you in the face

·
Registered
692 Posts
did the owner offer any sort of explanation as to why he was dumb enough to leave a dog loose in a truck bed going 70mph?!
ya know I wouldn't do it but ive seen several dogs that ride in the bed and never jump out. may have rode back there like that all the time and just got a wild hare up its ass.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
ya know I wouldn't do it but ive seen several dogs that ride in the bed and never jump out. may have rode back there like that all the time and just got a wild hare up its ass.
they don't jump, until they do. or, even worse, get thrown because you had to swerve unexpectedly.

**** all that, keep your dogs out the bed.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did the owner offer any sort of explanation as to why he was dumb enough to leave a dog loose in a truck bed going 70mph?!
No, but it's a fairly common occurance around here with farm dogs. I even see em on flatbeds. Usually they are on back roads. I've seen it a thousand times and never seen one jump. It could've just been a wild hair up his butt. Who knows. The one owner that came across was a high school kid, and his dad was keeping the other dog restrained. He looked like his eyes had watered up, and I cant blame him for that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My supervisor just had a terrible dog incident last week. He has a 19 year old full size poodle. He had a bunch of family over and someone left the door open. The dog is half blind so it stumbles out into the road. Car came by and smacked it. My supervisors is all shook up and goes to help the dog out of the road. It ended up having a broken back so when he slipped his hand under it to pick it up..... it bit him ….and took his ring finger off to the first joint. He just went through a operation on Tuesday to add a little prosthesis piece so it would not be stubby.

Just be careful handling hurt animals.... don't want to be stubbed up.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:brownbag
:smilie_slap

Dont do it again!

And yes, always be very cautious around hurt animals. Luckily, this guy was a sweetheart. Or he was in too much shock to care.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn I'm phucking old; I had to Google what PSA meant. :confused:
Awe come on joe! Pretty sure that's from the 50s, just like someone I know lol. Not that he remembers the 50s, or early 60s :toothless

Of course I didnt necessarily use PSA quite properly, but I got your attention!

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i never thought it was "cute" when someone has a pet on a motorcycle either.
I used to see a guy driving around town with his dog in a side car on the motorcycle. Even had his own little goggles. He was trained and enjoyed it. I think its kinda neat, but not over 20-30 mph.

Many farmers around here have blue heelers and they ride on the flatbed around the countryside, and that's different because they are working. And not going down any highways. Those dogs dont even have to be trained or told to get up there. It's in their blood. But not down the highway!

I'm still in shock that he wasnt more beat up than he was.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,829 Posts
Knowing is half the battle.

I used to watch the old G.I. Joe ones when I was a little kid back in the 80's.
G.I. Joe when you were a kid in the 80's!!!!, I watched Combat when I was a kid in the 60's

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I think folks should do what they want with their things and I’ll do what I want with mine. My Rottie used to ride in my truck all the time. I’m pretty sure he loved it. Would I let him walk on glass, but where is the line of danger vs fun?

Lots of guys ride with no lid because they love it. Smart, probably not but they think it’s worth the risk.

Anyway, carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Addicted to Junk
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of guys ride with no lid because they love it. Smart, probably not but they think it’s worth the risk.

Anyway, carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's because their skull has never made contact with pavement. Nearly killed myself on a quad without one. Also managed to drive over my own skull once, but I did have a helmet on then.

I can guarantee you one thing. The dog I picked up will never jump out of a bed again. Probably wont even get in one again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts