Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get infor on the lift laws for PA but all I can figure out is that the rear bumber can sit no higher than 30 in from the lowest point,an the tires can not stick out passed the fender wells.My questions are:

1:Is that the same for the front bumper?
2:What is the maximum tire size if any?
3:Can anybody from PA here look at the pics of my Bronco an see if they think its to high?
Thank You:banghead
P.S. Here is a link to my supermotors page
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/608163/fullsize/bronco2.jpg

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
The only problem you might have is the bumper. Unless you come across a cop with a chip on his shoulder and nothing to do you will probably not going to get hassled. If you get pulled over for being an idiot they might take a close look. If it came into my shop(when I worked in one) for inspection if everything else was good it would pass.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pretty sure front bumper is 30 inches as well. don't know about tire size, i know 44's are ok. as long as they are dot. i have a 78 bronco w/ 4' suspension and 3" body, w/ 38.5's ,stock bumpers, my height is 28-29 inches, yours looks a little higher than mine. Nice lookin truck!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i know in jersey that it lift laws apply to registered vehicle GWR. For instance, 4500lbs and under your allowed 7 " over stock height, 4501 to 6500 lbs. your allowed 9", and 6501 and over your allowed 11". Now tires are also considered a lift. IE, you go from stock tires on a bronco(31's) to 35s, thats considered 2" of lift (1/2 the difference of diameter.). As far as tires go, your allowed 6" bigger tire or 38's whatever comes first... Now however, Im not sure weather they actually measure the tire or just go by the written tire size, but they will measure. In NJ no SAS are leagal, no spring over for jeeps etc.. Tread of the tire must not stick out more then 1". Were supposed to go to take a tilt test once our frames have moved up/down more then 4". Most cops dont know the difference, nor do they care. HOWEVER, you will occansionally get the one cop to start busting your balls. Just cover yourself with stupid shit. Mud flaps, maybe fender flares(even if you get the cheap rubber ones you screw into the inside wheel well when driving on the street, wear your seatbelt, etc... Its the stupid things the cops look for. I never got pulled over in my bronco with 13" and 35's(i didnt have a tilt test sticker either) for other than having my music too loud at night, or my exhuast. but oh well... good luck. Try searching on your state dmv website. or just give them a call and ask.:thumbup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information I'll try an see If i get a ticket I'll lower it or go with smaller tire size those are 42" swampers

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
Hell it looks fine to me, but I know most of the cops around here and they don't bother me...but a while back I got ulled over for my 6in lift and 39.5 swampers I didn't get a ticket but was sent a warning on my bumper height cause Bronco's are registered as Cars/Station wagons so we are way over on the height to begin with, but even sitting at stock height they are over

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Hell it looks fine to me, but I know most of the cops around here and they don't bother me...but a while back I got ulled over for my 6in lift and 39.5 swampers I didn't get a ticket but was sent a warning on my bumper height cause Bronco's are registered as Cars/Station wagons so we are way over on the height to begin with, but even sitting at stock height they are over
:scratchhe Pretty sure my title says "SUV" :histerica:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
yea im pretty sure when i had my bronco, is was registered as a wagon....

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
:whiteflag oopsy didn't mean to start shit although i can sit back and watch you all argue with each other now :rofl: :beer might as well drink a beer while i'm at it too or maybe a few :drinkbud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is titled as a truck I got truck plates an the notary where I transfered it at told me it was titled as a truck

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my 92 and 93 were both wagon

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
It's a Station wagon/utility until 93 or 94 can't remember, then goes to SUV. If you have it titled as a truck then you can bend the rules a bit and exit your exhaust before the rear axle! Who hoo!!

It all depends on how well you maintain your ride, how much of an as$ the inspection station mechanic want's to be and what the police are like where you live. I'm from Duquesne, close to Pittsburgh, I see the deisel guys with huge as$ trucks, stacks and there bumper came to my tailgate, there trucks where nice as hell, illegal, but I'm sure they know someone to get it slid past. As BNKRTSTK said, My bronco passed with no cat for 6 years, But everything else passed, so he didn't say anything, he was a cool mechanic. Ive been with him for over 20 years. -bob

BTW- BNKRTSKT did you ever get your inspection??- bob

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm trying to get infor on the lift laws for PA but all I can figure out is that the rear bumber can sit no higher than 30 in from the lowest point,an the tires can not stick out passed the fender wells.My questions are:

1:Is that the same for the front bumper?
2:What is the maximum tire size if any?
3:Can anybody from PA here look at the pics of my Bronco an see if they think its to high?
Thank You:banghead
1) For now it is. There is language in the code that "has been delayed until further notice" that would change the bumper law.

2)I couldn't find anything on maximum or minimum size. The way it reads you could run anything you wanted as long as it doesn't state on the tire that it's not for highway use or for offroad use only.

3) If your bumper is not over 30" high. You are legal.

In Pa bronco's are a station wagon buy law the bumpers are not to be over 20 in. like stated above there not legal out of the box.
kurt
This is not true. Pennsylvania considers a Bronco a multipurpose passenger vehicle which shares the same bumper regulations as light trucks. The bumper must fall between 16 and 30 inches high.

yea im pretty sure when i had my bronco, is was registered as a wagon....
Mine says SW which I assume is Station Wagon.

Mine is titled as a truck I got truck plates an the notary where I transfered it at told me it was titled as a truck
That's unfortunate because all this means is you will pay more for registration.:duh

It's a Station wagon/utility until 93 or 94 can't remember, then goes to SUV. If you have it titled as a truck then you can bend the rules a bit and exit your exhaust before the rear axle! Who hoo!!
You can exit the exhaust in front of the axle on cars also.;)

[/QUOTE]It all depends on how well you maintain your ride, how much of an as$ the inspection station mechanic want's to be and what the police are like where you live. I'm from Duquesne, close to Pittsburgh, I see the deisel guys with huge as$ trucks, stacks and there bumper came to my tailgate, there trucks where nice as hell, illegal, but I'm sure they know someone to get it slid past. As BNKRTSTK said, My bronco passed with no cat for 6 years, But everything else passed, so he didn't say anything, he was a cool mechanic. Ive been with him for over 20 years. -bob[/QUOTE]

It's cool to know someone to help you out with the little stuff. Just as a note: The cat is needed for emissions inspection, not safety inspection. If you put less than 5,000 miles between inspections you are emissions exempt and need NO emissions equipment.:thumbup

If you're from PA read this:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
my 94 says suv. but im in new york. and dont care what the rules are anyway. cops are to lazy to do anything about it here

1 - 20 of 24 Posts