Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a PA speaker for christmas and a cord that plugs into the back of the CB and then at the other end it splits up to a power and ground. The speaker itself has 2 wires from it power and ground ok so I twist them together and I turn the volume up on the CB radio and I hear the static increase too. Next I pressed down the key to talk on the mic and whatever I said came out through the PA only it was really quite and it remained the same sound regardless of weather or not the volume went up or down although the static volume would go up and down. Am I missing some component? Thanks :thumbup

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Did you get a speaker like this

or like this

The first one is a PA speaker, that plugs into the PA plug-in, and is wired + and -
The second one just plugs into the Ext Sp plug, in the CB

·
College User
2,026 Posts
My PA speaker, just plugs into the back of the cb, and that is it. So by connecting the wires yours should work, to you have enough juicy to power the speaker? And the volume control should turn up the PA, and the speaker on the unit should be off while in PA mode. Could be the speaker?

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the first one you mentioned David, and gobucs you got me thinking about the internal speaker although theres no way to turn that off unless maybe i disconnect my antenna?

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
The only way you're going to turn off the speaker in the cb unit, is to plug in an external speaker - 2nd picture I posted. The one you have, is to be plugged into the PA Sp plug, in the back of the cb, and to be used so everyone outside the truck, can hear you - hence, PA being short for Public Address.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already know what/where the PA goes but my problem lies in why I cant get the volume to increase when I talk into it.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
What CB do you have? Does it only have one plug in back? If it does, it's only for your external speaker... it's volume won't increase when you talk into it, only when you turn up the volume, to listen. If it has two plugs in back, then your radio will have either a switch for CB and PA - where you would then use the volume to turn up the PA speaker, when in PA mode - or could even have a separate PA volume knob

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Holy hell! That's a PA speaker! Welp, there ya have it, you'd need a radio with the PA Sp plug, to take advantage of that. What were you originally looking to do with it, when you bought that?

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when I got it I got it as a cheap CB radio (thinking that any CB can run a PA as well but I wasnt worried about the PA too much at the time because I didnt have it) also another question would be where to mount it because ive tried a few places next to the air filter on one side and next to the battery on the other side fender and the henges get in the way (lol too damn big). Also an important question would be is there any way to salvage what i have to make the PA work with that CB or will I need a new unit altogether?

Edit: oh yeah thanks for the help too :thumbup

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Unfortunately, you get to spend more money, for a CB unit that can handle a PA speaker. There's no way to make the one you have, work. Where to mount it is all personal preference, and where you canh find space for it. It looks like it might be too big to use anywhere. The first picture I posted, is a smaller one, and would fit nearly anywhere

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well you get what you pay for lol I spent like 30 bucks at most on that brand new CB. I think ill start lookin on ebay for one really all I need is one that will work I dont really use the CB function that much due to the usual bad static or just the heavy accents of everyone else using it :toothless Thanks for the help :thumbup

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actualy found a place under the hood for it. Almost like it was ment to be there because it dosnt get stuck on the hinge and the hood can actualy close with it there and there was a hole in the wheel well the same size as the hole in the base plate of the PA so I just ran a screw with some washers and a nut through it to hold it there and it seems to hold fine so I guess I will drill 2 holes through the well to match the others on the base of the PA I suppose that, that is an OK place to mount the speaker?. now to get the wire somehow through to the cab. What is directly behind the plastic that is behind the glovebox? Is it just the firewall? thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Marauder, you might want to relocate that speaker or at least turn it upside down. Although the amount of water may be small, that speaker will fry if you get enough water in it and it sits. Look behind the front bumper for a location. If you want to make a road trip come to my place and we will find someway to mount it. If not, I have a small speaker about the size of an alarm speaker that would work. Let me know!

(P.S.- buy a new CB! one with PA output.) :beer

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks I will see how it goes here in the next few days and I already have a new CB lined up. A manager at work said he would sell me his old one that he used for 2 months and then he got in a wreck and smashed his speaker to bits so he hasnt put it back in. Its a cobra and he got it for 90 bucks so it should be a really great CB im buying it tomarrow. :thumbup

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh also I just remembered that the PA is "Weather-Proof" so i guess it should still be ok mounted like that and also there is no other place (I dont think) under the hood where I can mount that PA It really is huge, no way to fit it in the bumper lol.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I just bought my new CB from my manager. Its very nice its only been used for 2 months, its in great condition, and works for a PA now. :chili:

so now my dilema is how to get the PA wire into the cab to my radio. Ive searched for a place for it to go but im not sure exactly where I need to drill or if theres another way to take it without drilling. I think the best way is to get it behind the ugh my mind went blank the dash board console thing thats in front of the passenger. I see a group of wires that are behind there and somehow get into the cab I think but I dont know how, I dont know where they come from. Does anyone have any suggestions or could tell me where i should drill in order to route the wire into the cab thanks. :thumbup.

·
College User
2,026 Posts
Up by the passenger firewall above the blower there is a wire bundle. You can push the wire through and remove the pass kick panel reach up and find the wire. They you are close to done. That what I did with my amps. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts