Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Depends on the type of paint, laquer, acrylic enamal, base/clear? they all have different mix ratios. I used a little over a gallon of Dupont Centari when I painted my 88 Camaro

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you. that is the kind of advice i was looking for.

I am not really sure how i will paint it. i have only gotten as far as ripping off the first fender and starting to POR15 the underside.

figuring out paint types was next.. :}

recommendations.. i have read the laquer is easier, but i would assume its "cheaper" looking too.

I would like to do a clear on top, i know that.

it will be mostly factoryish red, with black lower 4" or so.

;}
mj

·
Registered
274 Posts
Laquer is cheap and easy to spray and will look as good as the amount of time you spend buffing. But I don't know if you can still get it, I thought the EPA pretty much banned it. The newer base/clear systems work well and most of the time you can get away without wetsanding and buffing and still have a nice paint job. If you are unsure on what kind of paint to use, find someone who has painted for years (the older guys at the autobody supply places are the best) and talk the whole project through from bare metal to topcoat

·
Registered
345 Posts
sometimes with the lack of experience and the high price of materials its is cheaper to go to one day and have em spray it for $500 bucks.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the mere thought of that is inconceivable.

I shall paint it, no matter how bad it turns out. already bought a compressor and an HVLP gun.. in fact i practiced using the HVLP on some shelving for my ofice, but thanks for the adivce :}

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
WOOD, that Bronco looks really sharp!!! When I had the 84 Bronco re-painted, i found an old goat that was a retired body shop man, painting vehicles as a hobby. Had a paint booth and shop at his house, and painted many cars for the local show circuits. He used 1 gallon and a quart of PPG Ford medium blue metallic urethane and a gallon of PPG clearcoat. Applied 3 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear and a finish coat with sealer. The Shaker hood stripe was PPG Ford indigo blue metallic urethane. I wanna say the paint cost around $800, but that was about 5 years ago. Quality paint like PPG or Dupont ain't cheap, but worth it if you want a nice look. You might also look into the new Dupli-Color Paint Shop products, that's what was used on Daz Bronco on Trucks!TV. It's similar to the old laquer paints, but is water-based and nature-friendly. Also much cheaper. I haven't used it, but might when I re-paint the 78 Bronco trail rig. JSM84

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/74431/fullsize/thwbronco3.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/74416/fullsize/thwbronco14.jpg

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah, traditional (nitro-cellulose) lacquer paints are a thing of the past now except what you can get in rattle cans. They sell some sort of low VOC lacquer now, never seen it used so I dunno how it does.

In fact, i got some of the last NC lacquer automotive paint to be brought into the US. I was painting one of my VW's so I ordered the paint I wanted from BMW in Germany not knowing it was about to be illegal to bring into the country.

By the time the order was processed and shipped (took about 6 weeks)it was illegal to bring automotive lacquer paints into the US. How they got it here is a question I didn't ask, but for how much money I dropped on that paint all I care is that I got it.

Justin

·
Gear Driven!!
1,280 Posts
thank you. that is the kind of advice i was looking for.

I am not really sure how i will paint it. i have only gotten as far as ripping off the first fender and starting to POR15 the underside.

figuring out paint types was next.. :}

recommendations.. i have read the laquer is easier, but i would assume its "cheaper" looking too.

I would like to do a clear on top, i know that.

it will be mostly factoryish red, with black lower 4" or so.

;}
mj
Laquer is a thing of the past,you can't buy it anymore to my knowledge?There is a few different ways you can go.

1 Base/Clear
2 Acrylic Enamel
3 Single Stage (Clear/Base already mixed)

If you are the type to take care of the paint you can get by with Acrylic and have a great shine for years.The pic of my old Bronco above is painted with Acrylic.At a distance you could not tell it wasn't Base/Clear.

If you dont take care of the paint,for sure go with Base/Clear..

IMO stay away from Single Stage.Paint seems to die very quickly from what I've seen,not impressed with it at all.

Also you may wanna look into that new Dupli-Color stuff that's ready to shoot out of the can?I have only seen it in Qts though,so it could get expensive painting the whole Truck?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I shall paint it, no matter how bad it turns out. already bought a compressor and an HVLP gun.. in fact i practiced using the HVLP on some shelving for my ofice, but thanks for the adivce :}
Mickaila, I have to mention that it's very dangerous to use the two-stage paints these days. They contain isocynates which can kill you very quickly if you don't take precautions. Use of a fresh-air breathing system is a must.

A safer alternative is using one of the new waterbased paints. AutoAir Colors is a good one, check out their stuff:
http://www.autoaircolors.com/

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've never had ANY luck using a single stage paint. They look decent for a year or maybe two and then they fade like it's a paying job. Several base coats and several clear coats is my recommendation. Looks like you already have your answer for amount.

Best of luck.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THat auto-air color site looks great.

I am thinking several layers of it as a base and several layers of clear on top..
thanks.
mj

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
what do you guys think of the Eastwood paints?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1453&itemType=CATEGORY

they use to carry house of color, but it looks like they have their own line now. I'm not looking for a show truck finish, right now its all rust inhibitor primer after fixing some "spots". i have used their stuff in the past and i'm more than happy with the results.

thinking of doing the Rat rod black (no color chip on the web )its a flat black.... ..... that i'm sure will be satin aftr a sealer

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts