Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've decided that the chrome trim and bumpers need to go. Here's a little write up on what I did to my FSB.

First off here's a bad picture of it now... The passenger side mirror is still on along with the unfinished side trim and windshield molding. My plan is to also paint these black as well. I also attached a picture of some of the materials I used.

I started with the headlight housing and grill moldings... I tried a couple of different methods and the easiest way I found was to first obviously remove the pieces.

I then sanded the pieces down with a course sand paper (60-80 grit). You just want to remove as much sheen as possible.

Then I used a sandable primer that is pictured above and applied three light coats. After giving them 24 hours to dry I sanded the pieces down.

Make sure everything is clean and wax/grease free by using a paint thinner. I used acetone.

Then I applied the Rust-oleum in two even and light coats and allowed to dry..

This is the same method I used on both the mirror (the pads and bolts were painted with the shown Krylon Fusion paint):

And on the antenna base:

Now the hard part was the bumpers... and seeing as I'm broke, didn't want to go out and purchase new ones.

First was removal and prep. The key to these is the preparation.

I had to sand the shine completely off the bumpers which entailed hours of vigorous hand sanding... An electric sander can put pits in the chrome and make for an uneven surface. So I suggest using a sanding block and a 60 grit paper.

After the surface was dull, I used a fine grit paper (400) and sanded the whole piece down...

Next I used a self-etching primer (not shown) found at autozone and applied two thin coats of that. After having applied that... I applied three thin coats of the shown Filler Primer.

after giving the bumpers two days to completely dry, I rolled on the rust-oleum brand truck bed coating.

This was applied by using 2.5" foam rollers and a pan. (remember to wear gloves!! this doesn't come out of the skin very easily)

I also applied two coats of this and let dry for two or three days.

In all, I think it turned out great... just a simple project to quickly and cheaply add a rugged look to your truck.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I'm going to give you an A+ for effort but I honestly don't think this is tech, more of a general build thread.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is it just me, or do those tow hooks scare anyone else?

·
Registered
73 Posts
with the angle they are mounted they scare me. I just picture trying to be pulled and the strap with a hook on it sliding off and flying through the air towards someone

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea about those hooks.... I picked them up for 5 bucks a piece thinking they'd fit under the bumper where they would actually serve a purpose but they didn't fit. So I got creative and bolted my bumper on with them. Just for looks!

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
hows the rust oleum bedliner look/feel/work? i want to put some beadline on my tailgate so i can load things in it without worrying about the paint.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
I kinda like it, if the bronco was a different color. there just something bout 2 tone brown that doenst fit will with black. If you did the trim and mirrors and what not in like tan or brown to match the bronco then it might look a lil better, imo.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Rustoleum truck bed coating is pretty scratch resistant to light scratches and heavier scratches after it has fully cured which will take a few weeks or longer depending on the temperature. As a truck bed coating it sucks big balls..:iiss The last owner of my DD sprayed it on pretty thick and whenever I put something with a little heft in the bed, the coating gets chipped and than wants to peel. I don't think he did a good prep job but I also am using this Duplicolor on my bronc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm still goig to repaint my whole bronc with it. I knew a couple of guys in Washington that did it and it keeps the desert pinstriping to a minimum. My Bronc is just a trail rig and I don't like chrome too much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea sorry it took so long to get back... The Rustoleum is holding up awesome!! I have done scratch tests with everything from my fingernail to a screwdriver... One thing is that don't use the spray on kind!! use the kind out of the can, it has a better look and it seems to hold up better. I sprayed the backside of a license plate with it and after a week of drying it could easily be scratched with my finger nail. The paint out of the can after inly three days of drying couldn't be scratched with the screwdriver. But yea prepping is super important. Make sure to take off any kind of sheen first because chrome is not paintable as is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked it up from the local autozone. It's just a replacement for the old one which was too long for my taste and also wasn't black.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts