Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be painting the top of my bronco in the next couple weeks and i noticed the caulking?? Is dry and falling out..see pic

So before i paint the top what should i use to refill it. As far as paint goes im thinking i want to do the best i can with a rattle can :histerica at least till i get the whole truck painted.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Here's some info I posted on another site:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20058

Looking back, I shoulda paid more attention to the 'caulk'...and woulda used polyseamseal or something of the like. I should have also stripped the entire top so I could have gotten rid of the black/mold. And finally, I shoulda spent time reconditioning the windows and frames. But at the time, I was more worried about color than anything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i had a crack in mine and I used tub and tile silicone. i just used a soft putty blade to smooth it out, then kryloned it. hasnt leaked yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am glad I found this post I was just wondering if spray line would look good on the top. Did you have to use any type of base coat to the top before you spay lined. And how is that holding up to fading I was worried about it fading in the sun. Can't wait to see heftys pics. I have the solid side glass in my 79. Do you gouys know where I can buy the side glass that slides?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Best place to look for sliders is junk yard, EBay or here in the for sale section. Sliders for the 78'-79' Bronco's are hard to find and I don't know of anyone that makes after market sliders for the 78'-79' Bronco's.

I've often though of using one of those "do it yourself" fiber glass renew kits you see at Lowe's or Home Depot on my top. Has anyone ever tried that route?

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I haven't ever used any of their kits but I have had some experiance fiberglassing and it is very easy and very strong if its done right. One of the key things in getting a good bond is the prep, you need to use the propper grit sand paper and also need ideal conditions to work it in. Also diferant materials are going to be stronger than others, it all depends on what your looking to do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Getting ready to do mine this weekend, I'm going with rattle can krylon fusion. Figured something made to bond to plastics was a good idea, plus, I checked their website, and it lists fiberglass as one of its applications..

BTW, I have a set of sliding windows that I'm getting ready to list to sell;
Once I can figure out how to get them out of the topper....

G.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
So how about the seams? What should i use for the caulk?
In my earlier post, I said Polyseamseal will do the trick.

Getting ready to do mine this weekend, I'm going with rattle can krylon fusion. Figured something made to bond to plastics was a good idea, plus, I checked their website, and it lists fiberglass as one of its applications..

I wanna know how that holds up, I used the Krylon in/outdoor paint, figuring something rated for the 'elements' will last longest.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I would use clear RTV on your seams to reseal them. Apply it after you paint, other wise the paint won't stick to the RTV.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Use seam sealer that is used for the body joints. I use proform seam sealer. Same stuff you use for trunk floor seams or floor seams. It is used with a calking gun,but is is applied before painting and is paintable.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Use seam sealer that is used for the body joints. I use proform seam sealer. Same stuff you use for trunk floor seams or floor seams. It is used with a calking gun,but is is applied before painting and is paintable.
Exactly what I was thinking, it can be bought at any auto-zone or parts store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts