Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the best forum to ask but figured I would start here.

In looking through the "post a picture" threads I saw this picture:

I PM'ed the user but they havent been on the site in months. They said this is a Krylon paint job they did themselves, I have a couple questions.

1) Can it hurt the bronco to paint it with something like Krylon? (like mess up the sheet metal or anything?)
2) Has anyone else done something like this and have any recommendations?
3) Anyone know what color that is?

·
Registered
496 Posts
1.) won't hurt the metal but it'll probably look shitty if you just spray over everything without some prep work

2.) I've not done this because my Bronco had decent paint when I bought it

3.) green

·
Registered
93 Posts
u can get a good finish with krylon but it takes A LOT of patience. its all in the prep work. then take the time with the spraying. ive seen trks and motorcycles done in krylon that looks as good as a second rate paint job.

just remember its not gonna come out as good as a pro doing it. but you'll be ok if u do the prepwork.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I painted my whole truck with rust-oleum cans, but I prepped the hell out of it. I would recommend wetsanding everything you plan on painting, clean it with some sort of prepping agent, hitting it with compressed air and then spraying(a good amount of spraying technique is required as well) I learned spraying in a circular pattern leaves a clean and even coat. Also spraying conditions are important, weather plays a big factor

And the finish product:

Edit: i liked this picture better

·
Registered
538 Posts
1) You shouldn't have to go down to sheet metal, Just sand down the clear coat, If you have to go down to bare metal for a fix then make sure you use a decent epoxy primer ( Been very lucky with the stuff in a can at auto zone for small fixes)

2) I've done rattle can paint jobs before, Tip, Do two heavy coats, when your all done do a fine wet sand,1500 to 2000 grit (To make it all even). If you burn through hit it with some more rattle can. You can finish it up with finer grit and then a good buff and it may even have a decent shine.

3) Looks like camo green

·
Registered
15 Posts
First off. To each their own.

With that said. Why would you put all the work into prepping and bodywork to shoot anything with a rattle can paint job? Your already there! With the cost of paint in cans and the aggrivation of actually getting it to look right you could just as simply go get a gallon of single stage paint and a throw away HVLP spray gun from harbor frieght and get a much better, more durable finish for around the same money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts