Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to restore my EB top to look like new. What kind of paint should I use for this? Is there a special type/stock color? Anything special I should do, besides cleaning it thoroughly?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bumper black.....comes in a rattle can at autozone pepboys or whatever. more of a dye than a paint. worked Awesome on my Jeep fenders and plan on doing it to the top of my bronco as well. comes in gloss and semigloss and flat in black as well as other colors red blue green.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
You need to get "real" paint from a supplier that matches your color (as it came from Ford). In addition to the correct color, it needs to have flatener added as the top is not a full gloss finish.
You dont want to paint it with a flat color as it will chalk in a few years, espcially exposed to sun like in Texas.

other than that, scuff, seal, shoot.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Just call it a top. <_<

Talked to a guy, had a 78 that looked clean from the factory black on black... He just sanded the top down and sprayed it black (with a spray gun) Look'd good. If you want it to be that rough, gritty feel, then use a house paint gun. XD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wouldn't mind painting the top a different color - either navy to match the body or red :) but it wouldn't look good unless i did the bottom as well, which i'm not going to try.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
PM silentone, he said his has been holding up pretty good for a couple years now.His top thread here

You need to get "real" paint from a supplier that matches your color (as it came from Ford).
Or go in a totally separate direction, like black on grey or tan on Blue like most of these bronco's came. But if you are painting the same color, I totally agree get the exact Factory color. Either exact or different, but not close when it comes to color.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
This is on my TO-DO list as mine is very faded as well. I was just going to do a quick wipe down with acetone and shoot some gloss black spray paint on their. I was thinking of sanding down the texture but decided if you did that the color better match perfectly.
If I leave it textured it may not need to be so exact!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts