Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people never use their parking break but it's always been a habit of mine so this bugs the hell out of me.

I just bought my truck (86 XLT) a couple weeks ago and knew it had some minor problems which I'm slowly fixing. One is that the parking brake doesn't work. I looked into it yesterday and everything seems to be hooked up fine but I noticed two things that bother me.

1. I tried pulling on the equilizer under the truck and could only get one of the cables to move. Should I just pull harder to loosen up the other one or should I just replace it/them?

2. The parking brake pedal doesn't seem to go down as far as I think it should. This might have to do with problem 1 but it doesn't make the usual ratcheting sound I am use to with parking brakes. It doesn't make any kind of locking sound and in fact as soon as I let go of the pedal it rebounds a bit and I can just pull on the pedal to get it to return. Furthermore I pulled on the brake release lever and it doesn't move at all. I'm kind of wondering if it might be rust locked or if it needs to have the brake go down far enough to lock before the release can be pulled? Again those are two things I'm not use to so they seem out of the ordinary to me... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, also I did search the forum. Couldn't really find anything related except somebody talking about just pull on it and somebody else saying they broke the cable...

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Replace the rear cables and see if problem 2 goes away. It's very common for the plastic lined cables to sieze up after so many years.

Napa sells the cables for a lot less than the dealer and they're very good parts.

·
Banned
19,252 Posts
1) You should pull the rear wheels & drums off & inspect the mechanisms inside. These photos show how the drum brakes work & what to look for. The drum section starts ~1/2 way down the page. Replacement cables are surprisingly inexpensive at most parts stores, and they're sometimes all that's needed to fix stuck e-brakes. But stuck autoadjusters are even more common, so be sure to inspect them before buying anything.

2) A high e-brake pedal isn't bad in itself, but the fact that it doesn't lock & the release handle doesn't move indicates serious problems with the pedal mechanism. There's no published service procedure, but you can pull it away from the firewall & inspect for obvious damage or lack of lube. Disconnecting the cable is difficult, and I don't recommend it since re-connecting it is even harder. If it's obviosly damaged, just look for a good replacement assembly.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh...I was wondering why the cables were just hanging. I seem to be missing the spring betwen the equilizer and the bracket...Another thing to replace on the bronco... So that makes the pedal/release assembly, left cable/autoadjuster, and the tension spring that need replacing... So what's good... the main cable moves, so does the right cable, and the equilizer doesn't look bent although it is missing a spring... WOO HOO! Anybody have a parts vehicle they want to just sell me an entire parking break system cables through pedal? Not like you need it to keep it from rolling away or anything. :toothless

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Pantsman said:
Huh...I was wondering why the cables were just hanging. I seem to be missing the spring betwen the equilizer and the bracket...Another thing to replace on the bronco... So that makes the pedal/release assembly, left cable/autoadjuster, and the tension spring that need replacing... So what's good... the main cable moves, so does the right cable, and the equilizer doesn't look bent although it is missing a spring... WOO HOO! Anybody have a parts vehicle they want to just sell me an entire parking break system cables through pedal? Not like you need it to keep it from rolling away or anything. :toothless
Helps to have anudder 86 to compare it all too eh ?

You'd best sweet talk Steve83 or burnedBronco. They'll have parts theys willin' to sell, hopefully.

Don't forget just about any F-150 in a local junkyard's gonna have what you need and cheaply.

Sixlitre

·
Banned
19,252 Posts
Don't buy used brake cables - new ones are only ~$20ea. from a parts store w/LLT warranty.

Sold, but only ~$40 from JBG.

Available for $25+sh. E-mail me if you want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts