Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
while stripping my Bronco for restoration (gotta keep myself busy in lockdown right) I found this weird auxiliary pump.
water from the heater runs trough it, and it has some weird exaust. After looking around it seems what's known as a parking heater

pretty sure someone has installed this as the car came from a US base in Germany.

has anyone came across something like this and knows how to get rid of this safely? I don't want to cut wires like crazy here.

thank you!

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,467 Posts
Interesting. Never heard of one. I'd assume, the wires are just spliced in, so you might be able to just trace them from unit to factory harness and remove them.

What is up with the silver box in front of your brake booster and master? And custom bracketry haha

I also spy a nice looking power steering pump pulley.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting. Never heard of one. I'd assume, the wires are just spliced in, so you might be able to just trace them from unit to factory harness and remove them.

What is up with the silver box in front of your brake booster and master? And custom bracketry haha

I also spy a nice looking power steering pump pulley.
that's exactly where the wire from the parking pump goes. and then they go into different directions. will follow up and update so it can help someone else. Surprised you've never seen it :)

ps- had to order a pulley removal cause of that one. won't come out :p

·
Registered
468 Posts
A description of a parking heater: A parking heater offers a cost effective and reliable way of heating a car interior and de-icing windows. By installing high quality parking heater, you can maintain a suitable temperature even when the car engine is off.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,467 Posts
Interesting. The silver box is definitely not factory either.

Man I'm just an ol country kid who doesnt have a clue about all the new fangled gadgets in cars these days. All I need is a fishing pole, some smokes, and a reliable old ford truck and I'm set.

·
Registered
192 Posts
After reading about "parking heaters", I'm assuming yours uses gasoline for it's fuel? Is the manufacturer's name on the unit anywhere? If it were mine I would try finding the installation instructions online from the company that made it to see how it went in to be able to figure out the best way to take it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading about "parking heaters", I'm assuming yours uses gasoline for it's fuel? Is the manufacturer's name on the unit anywhere? If it were mine I would try finding the installation instructions online from the company that made it to see how it went in to be able to figure out the best way to take it out.
Hi,
Yes, yesterday I've removed almost all of it (one harness lest going into the cabin I haven't traced it yet)
It used fuel, there was a pull from the fuel line including a tiny pump. I'll add pictures and procedure soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised, here is the full picture of the system, so it can help others who run into similar installations.

This is a webasto system, installed in Germany for very cold weather where everything freezes. you can program it to heat the car at a given time before you operate it.
The system is gas-powered so they had to install a small pump and connection to the fuel line. That's why it has an exhaust. They made a small hole in the firewall to bring the cables to the cabin. Other wires go to battery and blower.

I feel there are few things so satisfactory as removing all this junk from the car :).

·
Registered
339 Posts
They still install those! There is a guy in a Wrangler Unlimited that he has been living in for over a year now and put one of those in new at the first of the year to heat his 'house'. Very interesting! I like my garage to warm mine up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts