Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
A friend of mine is parting out her 83 bronco and we were wondering what to take. If has to have a bumper, all the glass on one side, all the lights, and it needs to be driven to the wreaking yard. We were thinking the top may be worth something, anything else we should take?
Thanks

P.S. How much is a top worth?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
aren't clean doors and tailgates pretty valuable??

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Clean interior panels, manual hubs, newly installed parts, carb if it works well, top is hit or miss. Sometimes you can sell them, sometimes you can't even give them away. If you cut off the cats, remove the radiator, remove the starter and alternator and cash them in separate you will get more money from a scap yard. Or just park the truck and part it out and trailer the rest to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If it runs and drives, why not sell it whole?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honestly your best bet is to either sell it or take it to a scrap yard. Scrap is up and I wouldnt be surprised if you saw 400 or more for that. Before you scrap it remove the cat and sell me the top and rear window as long as you live in the philly area :).

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
My feeling is this, if you can sell it whole to someone that wants to bring it back or part it out so anyone in need can benefit by using those hard to get parts you should do so first....but going to the scraper is just wrong IMO unless it's "absolutely" beyond help then strip it to the bone, part out etc.etc. you'll make decent money and everybody wins.

Just my two cents! :rockon

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It ain't mine to sell and the state of Ca gives 1000 bucks for vehicles that don't pass smog. The paperwork was already filed when I was asked if I wanted anything, so it is too late to save it. Personaly I would fix it up but oh well. Thanks for the input. I believe it was delivered today so it is way too late now.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think you did fine for a 1k.

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
Sorry to hear that, so for anyone in the future the other side of the coin getting a $1,000.00 if you can drive it there is thru the CA DMV website, BAR = Bureau of Automotive Repair, Consumer Assistance where if you can qualify financially with low income, fill out the application on-line and submit the State will give you an authorization up to $500.00 either totally FREE or 20% of the repair bill in a check/letter form mailed to you to present for any smog related repairs to be fixed at a Gold Seal state approved smog station, there's a local list and you're good to go.

In my case it turned out to be a dead #2 cylinder so the "fix" wouldn't cover that because it wasn't directly smog related so it only paid for the diagnosis of about $150.00 IIRC but FREE to me. I had to take that paper work and go to a "CA DMV Referee", have them smog/diagnose it again, deemed Gross Polluter but got my registration tags for their fee of $38.00 with 2 years to resolve the problem which I did by swapping in a new 302 EFL long block.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
144 Posts
It ain't mine to sell and the state of Ca gives 1000 bucks for vehicles that don't pass smog. The paperwork was already filed when I was asked if I wanted anything, so it is too late to save it. Personaly I would fix it up but oh well. Thanks for the input. I believe it was delivered today so it is way too late now.
Good to see theyre using tax money so wisely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts