Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think of Pasadena? A buddy of mine just landed an engineering job there, and is moving out there late July.

I've lived in Colorado all my life, and am thinking of moving out to Pasadena for the hell of it to. I don't have much going on at the moment. I work an hourly job at a warehouse. I have no girlfriend, or kids, or anything that can tie me down. I'm living with a few roommates, and am not tied down by a rental agreement (buddy owns the house). I think it would be sweet to move out to Cali and experience something different. Neither my buddy or I know anyone out there.

There's just one thing holding me back. Most important thing is a job, of course. Whats job availability like out there? I have a bachelors degree in Sociology, and some experience in different fields like lifeguarding, catering, working at a correctional facility, warehouse, and sales. Of course, I dont want to be working an hourly job my whole life. Ultimately I want to do fire fighting or be a police officer. What interests me the most is fighting actual forest fires. Anyone have any info on that? Any kinda potential for that in the Pasedena, LA area?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hell, i've even contemplated going back to school out there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pasadena is a really nice city. Great hang out spots (Old Town Pasadena) and you’re just a short drive from Azusa Canyon where you can get your Bronco nice and muddy.
Rent can be a little high. Your best bet is to do a search on Craigslist so you can give yourself an idea of what housing goes for in the area…sometimes you’ll find great deals… I got a 1 bedroom in Alhambra for $800.00, that’s about 10 minutes south of Pasadena.
Other cities around Pasadena are great spots too, South Pasadena, Arcadia, San Gabriel, Alhambra.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Passadena is just like every US city.. It has it's good areas and bad areas... I wouldn't be to worried about finding work.. There's stuff all over the place if people are looking..

Now that being said.. Here in So Cal people commute.. So all the freeways around there suck.. Hard core.. It's not unheard of people commuting 30+ miles 1 way from home to go to work. With that in mind you can look for jobs in LA, Burbank, Hollywood, Covina, and the other smaller cities around there.. If possible try and get a job to the east of Passadena.. Cause everyone is going east to west in the morning and west to east at night.. So try and go the opposite direction and traffic won't be as bad.. :thumbup

Just get ready to deal with the smog nazi's.. California sucks for having to deal with registering vehicles.. It's way more expensive and insurance is more expensive as well..

Everything is just more expensive and the pay isn't that much better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice area but high paying low effort jobs are not around. Jobs are everywhere, if you are willing to work, and look for one.
Law enforcement is hiring everywhere out here, and with exception of the cost of living, it is a nice place to be. Well, there is the traffic and a bunch of idiots that cant drive, then there is the taxes,,,,,,ok, this place has some problems, but the wheeling is second to none.
Plan on some commute for a reasonable job.
Example:
I work from a local office, but my main office is in San Juan Capistrano. usually takes me two hours one way to get to the main office. I do not have to do this everyday.

On the plus side:
We can wheel year around. Driving distances to snow, sand, rocks, and some of the best mud in the nation makes up for the other stuff.

Real estate is not cheap out here, so beware in advance.

You will find many nice Broncos out here, and these guys will make any owner envious enough to make you want to build up your rig.
Be prepared for that expense as well.

Regardless, you sound as though you are young enough to take plunge and try it out. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
I'd try it. Sounds like the timing could not be any better.

Do let us So Cal guys know if you make it down.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Be very careful of where in Pasadena you live. Some parts are big money, mansion homes and just a few miles away are the Pasadena Bloods ( big gang). I grew up a stones throw away from Pasadena so I have allot of experience in that city. Its very close to Down town L.A. so you can be at the beach, desert, or mountains within an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
There's just one thing holding me back. Most important thing is a job, of course. Whats job availability like out there? I have a bachelors degree in Sociology, and some experience in different fields like lifeguarding, catering, working at a correctional facility, warehouse, and sales. Of course, I dont want to be working an hourly job my whole life. Ultimately I want to do fire fighting or be a police officer. What interests me the most is fighting actual forest fires. Anyone have any info on that? Any kinda potential for that in the Pasedena, LA area?
Cost of living is higher than CO

Traffic is much worse than CO

Getting a job, well every one is looking for a job, especially the firefighter and LEO jobs. They are out there, but not an easy entry. Not at all easy.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
Yup, Northwest Pasadena has it's rough areas, but it seems to be calming down compared to a few years ago. I don't think you'd want to live there yet, but the trend looks better down the road. Rents are cheaper as you head East of Pasadena. Altadena is barely North of Pasadena (Over the back fence), & also has mixed areas. West seems rougher, North & East seem richer, center South seems less expensive. All the cities run together with no space in between, so it feels like one huge town. South Pasadena is a separate town. There's hiking & camping close above us.

I've known young guys who've gone to Rio Hondo College for their Fire Academy. LA County has a Fire Department, as well as several local cities. I believe the Forestry Service has Firefighters, & other departments & services from other areas join in for the almost annual wildfires in the fall. I've heard that sometimes guys will start in rougher areas to get in, then try for a job in a better location once they have some experience. Fire trucks in El Monte are yellow. :shrug

Construction has been off, but hard working guys seem to find work in other fields. Sometimes it takes proving yourself in less desirable tasks then working your way up. With the background listed, it seems like you have a history of working, which should help get you something until you find your career.

The city of Pasadena doesn't allow overnight street parking. You need to either get a place that has off street parking or get a permit ($50 a year IIrc). I think Altadena allows overnight parking.

So Cal has lots to do. Everything is close enough to drive to. Some do the surf & ski in one day trips. There's a list of stuff to do in post 13 of this thread, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. We get snow up in our local Mountains, but if we see snow down here, it's once very 30 years. Wheeling in the summer can be awful hot. The Los Angeles River is a giant wash, don't expect a river.

Tickets in California are stupid expensive. The state added a fee that basically doubled what local cities charged. Now they double that in construction zones, which seem to be marked everywhere, even if they're not currently doing work. They call a rolling stop a "California Stop", but the cops will still write you for it. Like they ^ said, smog requirements can be a bugger, but at least we can see the mountains again. 76 & newer are still smog inspected every 2 years.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet, all good info guys. Thanks.

I'm contemplating a few different ideas at the moment. Bottom line is, i'm too stagnant with my life at the moment. I need to change some stuff up, and get the ball rolling.

I don't mind my current hourly job. I work with good people, and make enough to get by. And that was ok for right out of college, but time is ticking away and I can't let it get away from me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts