Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger door seems to have had the window busted out at one point. There aren't any weather strips at the base of the window. When I press the switch, I can hear the window motor but nothing happens. After taking off the inside panel, I found out that the motor arm had been bolted to the door frame to keep it up. Took that off and the window still won't roll up/down. Power locks aren't working right now but I can't even get the passenger door to lock manually from inside or with key. So, I've got several options I'd like to look into and get some advice and confirmation on what would be easiest/best. I don't know if I need to replace the whole motor even though I can hear it working, or if a certain part might be stripped. I've also thought about going to the junk yard and buying a manual door and just taking the parts from it and replacing to get the window and lock working.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It sounds like the regulator is missing which is the other major part to power windows and includes the scissoring arm, tracks, and rounded end with gear teeth that the motor sits in to move the scissoring arm up and down.

Should be similar to this:

If you have any self service yards near you I'd go out there and find a Bronco or F150 of your same year range and see how the interior door pieces go together since it sounds you have lock and rod issues as well.

The doors on these things are pretty notorious for having problems, or maybe it's just me but seems like every 90-96 ford truck I've ever owned has had some sort of door/window issues that people have tried to resolve half assed and made things worse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I'll check on that this weekend. I just bought it last Saturday and already replaced the lock cylinder, then had to bypass the tailgate safety switch to get the window down. I don't think I'd put forth the effort to fix stuff if it were any other vehicle.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'll check on that this weekend. I just bought it last Saturday and already replaced the lock cylinder, then had to bypass the tailgate safety switch to get the window down. I don't think I'd put forth the effort to fix stuff if it were any other vehicle.
Another possibility is that the plastic bushings inside your window motor have been pulverized into dust, which is also pretty common. You will still hear the motor turn, but nothing moves. If that is the case those bushings are easy to replace and cheap. Auto part stores should have them on the shelf in the Help/Doorman section. They look like little white or clear round buttons.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Power locks aren't working right now but I can't even get the passenger door to lock manually from inside or with key.

.....I've also thought about going to the junk yard and buying a manual door and just taking the parts from it and replacing to get the window and lock working.
The power door lock actuator is bad/locked up. For a quick solution, open the door and drill the big pop rivet near the bottom of the door. It holds the bracket for the actuator. You can at least lock/unlock the door until you replace it.

IIWM, Id replace the actuator and the regulator. If you can find one locally, I'd guess you could find one on ebay.

Got the ignition replaced? ......pull the gear or fish it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The power door lock actuator is bad/locked up. For a quick solution, open the door and drill the big pop rivet near the bottom of the door. It holds the bracket for the actuator. You can at least lock/unlock the door until you replace it.

IIWM, Id replace the actuator and the regulator. If you can find one locally, I'd guess you could find one on ebay.

Got the ignition replaced? ......pull the gear or fish it?
Thanks, I'll definitely look into doing that. That sounds like it might be the best fix for now. And yea, I pulled the gear and was able to get it out. Replaced it, now I'm having problems with the engine stuttering and missing especially when going uphill. Looking around on here for answers but if I can't find something I'll probably post full details so keep a look out for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts