Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the SAS underway you'd think that little trivial problems like these wouldn't confuse me, but:

My passenger side door has a broken latch mechanism. The jaw that grips the strike pin became loose and would no longer stay in the opened or closed position but instead would just flop around not allowing the door to remain shut and now that I did shut the door it will not open.

I would like to get the door open with the least amount of damage caused.

The handle doesn't do anything and neither does a key does or power lock so how do I go about getting the door open to either replace the mechanism inside the shell or the door itself which seems like a royal PITA unless you have tiny hands. I have my eye on replacement rust free doors anyway but they're no good to me if I can't get the old door open even.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
With the SAS underway you'd think that little trivial problems like these wouldn't confuse me, but:

My passenger side door has a broken latch mechanism. The jaw that grips the strike pin became loose and would no longer stay in the opened or closed position but instead would just flop around not allowing the door to remain shut and now that I did shut the door it will not open.

I would like to get the door open with the least amount of damage caused.

The handle doesn't do anything and neither does a key does or power lock so how do I go about getting the door open to either replace the mechanism inside the shell or the door itself which seems like a royal PITA unless you have tiny hands. I have my eye on replacement rust free doors anyway but they're no good to me if I can't get the old door open even.
take off the trip panel and yank on the linkages.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
whats this about wadding?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
If you're replacing the door anyways why not take a sawzall to it and open a wide enough area to be able to get to things. :shrug

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take off the trip panel and yank on the linkages.
I fear that something inside of the latch box mechanism is broken and that yanking on the hinges won't do anything since using the door handles and pulling on the lock knob don't do anything.

Like I said - the top piece of the jaw that latches onto the pin in the door jam is completely loose and just flaps up and down making me think that something inside of the little sheet metal box that it is in is broken.

I'll try this though when I get down to my garage next weekend.

If you're replacing the door anyways why not take a sawzall to it and open a wide enough area to be able to get to things. :shrug
It's probably going to come down to this, but I would prefer to repair this door if I can since it matches. The bottom of the shell is starting to rust though so it should eventually be replaced.

I'm really leaning towards using a pair off of a '92 that don't match my bronco but I really like those style mirrors that are on them and these doors are rust free. And yeah - I know that Steve83 put last generation mirrors onto older generation doors, but I'd prefer to have the mirrors on the doors that they're meant to be on.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
why not just drill out the latch from the inside?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not just drill out the latch from the inside?
It depends if I can get the interior panel off without destroying it since I want to keep it.

And where would I drill into it? Just random spots through the shell and into the latch mechanism hoping that it will pop open?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
id pull the passenger seat out to get the panel off from the inside. and id use a large drill bit and just drill into the important looking moving parts. once they give it should open. or if you got a torch just do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts