Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing from time to time as the passenger front tire hits a bump that something is a little loose. I've replaced all four ball joints about a year ago, roughly 8,000 miles. I jacked up the front passenger side to run the old ball joint test and in moving the tire holding in the 12 o'clock/ 6 o'clock position there is a decent amount of play. I checked the ball joints as I moved the whole assembly and they seem tight and didn't move at all, everything from the brake rotor- outward did however. I also noticed the outer hub cover held on by the alan head screws was a little loose and could be wiggled slightly by hand. I dont think it's ball joints because of this but am throwing it out to you guys for more analysis. thanks

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
How does the wheel spin by hand? Its probably a good time to check your wheel bearing/bearings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheel spins fine, no grinding or noises at all

·
Registered
158 Posts
i would pull it apart and look at the wheel bearings, if they are good and timkens made bearings, repack em and tighten it to spec. otherwise if they are in any sort of rough shape, or me personally if they werent timkens, i would throw em and go get new bearings and races.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kind of a dumb question, but what all would I need to buy to do a proper swap/upgrade to the timkens

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
just the bearings. inner, outer, seals and maybe spindle bearings while it apart. also will need the "crown" socket to get the hub off, but you can rent all the tools from a box store.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If you decide your bearings need changing and you can wait a few days, JBG has a pretty good deal on a set of Timken bearings and seals for both sides, sold as a kit for like 54 bucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good, and I still have the crown socket from doing the ball joints. thanks for the help:beer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts