Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember my first bronco ('86) the passenger seat would actually flip forward to allow pretty easy access to the back. My '94 just slides up and the seat back raises... I'm in decent shape but even I have a hard time getting in the back seat, anyone with any belly to them just physically cannot get back there.

My question is, am I right in remembering about the '86 actually flipping forward (that was 16 years ago). Also does anyone know why they stopped doing this, or am I just a goober and mine still does it but is stuck or something.

My other bronco was a '93 but it had a split bench up front so I still don't know when they quit this function (if they actually did).

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and one more thing, if the older ones did flip forward and the new ones don't... Does anyone have an extra passenger seat mount with flip function they want to sell?:toothless

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
The passenger seat does slide all the way up to the dash & the seat back tilts forward. I actually drilled a hole in the seat bracket, down where the track slides, so when it's all the way up to the dash I can put a pin in to keep the seat up out of the way for loading or getting into the back. Chubby or not someone should easily be able to get into the back. Look underneath and see if you have a broken spring on one of the sides that release a bracket that lets the seat slide. It slides in 2 stages! I took pretty good pictures of my 96' last time I had it apart because no-one here had any. I'll look for them. -Kevin-:thumbup

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man, I was wondering why they stopped doing that... I guess they didn't huh?

mine just slides up so I guess something is stuck, or like you said a broken spring. I'll get back under there again and check.

I just figured for some stupid safety reason they quit doing it.

glad to know.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have it on my 86... though I had to put a chain on it so limit it. Since it flings forward and slams into the window really hard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Passenger seat

My 84 does this. I am average size and have no problem getting into the back seat when cleaning it. Sorry, but I do not have the part needed. I am trying to locate the small cable next to the console to replace mine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 96 interior in my 90, the passenger seat slides up all the way and tilts up... plenty of room to get in the back..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I got it figured out now... I've had this critter for 2 years and thought the seat only went as far forward as it does when you slide the adjustment all the way up... I still think my old 86 flipped forward kinda like a jeep...

anyhow if anyone else searches maybe they'll find this thread and it will help them figure theirs out.

the passenger seat on my '94 has 2 slide rails, one is for regular seat adjustment, it is the bottom slide rail. Now it has a slide rail on the top as well that lets it move forward another foot or so, this mechanism is tripped when the seat back is moved all the way forward. It moves one armature which is on the outside of the seat behind a plastic cover, which is linked to another armature under the seat. This connection was broken on mine, it is a type of spring, but as long as you install it correctly a piece of bailing wire does exactly the same thing. Both of these armatures release the top slide rail so you can slide the seat all the way forward, and out of the way for easy access to the back...

I liked the old style flip up out of the 86 better, but this works just fine and after squeezing in and out of there for 2 years it looks like the grand canyon now. I wish I had known before, I just saw no flip hinges under there so I thought that they had discontinued the easy rear seat access.

thanks dwnbelowbronco, and anyone else who helped out with this. I do wish it flipped up like my old bronco, but like I said this will do just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts