Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they required by law to verify you worked for them?

·
Registered
812 Posts
No, with a lot of companies, you can make up phoney jobs on your application because they don't check usually. I wouldn't personally, because I know with my luck they'd try to contact each and every one of them.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are not allowed to say anything other than you worked there
that is pretty much what verifying means isn't it?

my brother has a past employee who is refusing to verify that he ever worked for him, and this is making it hard for him to get through the background check.

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,449 Posts
Guessing they didn't like him there. I had that happen to me once. Just had them call a friend that I made there instead. It sucks but that's the way some people work. When I was supervising I always called and verified that stuff on atleast 3 employers. Can't say anything else other than yes or no, but they will also ask would you re-hire them. But if he made any friends there that he is still in contact with just have him use him as a reference.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I've answered the employment verification question yes or no many times.That's what law requires and all HR wants,for legal reasons.On one employee,who robbed me blind,I did reply,"If you call embezzlement work,yes he did." POS cost me a five grand bonus.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When a prospective employer calls your past employers to get an employment verification, the only information your former employers are legally allowed to give is:

1. Your dates of employment
2. Your job title
3. Your rehire status

Rehire status is a “yes or no” question – If you re-applied, could the past employer hire you again? If the answer is no, your former employer cannot say why they would not hire you again, only if you are eligible for rehire with that company.
http://denisempls.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/qa-bad-references-from-past-employers/

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok I will ask it again. Is there any LAW that says they HAVE to verify the dates you have worked?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
but if they chose to they can only give that info nothing more

That is not what jopes asked.

Additionally, if I choose to I can give a past employee a detailed and very positive verification.

Stick to the question or don't respond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts