Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lots of people send money as a "gift" now. Probably not as safe but if the person is an established member, or if you know them it's fine. This was a way of sending money without them charging fees to the person you are sending money too.

Anyhow I just sent money as a gift through paypal to a member here, and guess what.....They charge a fee for it now. When sent as a gift you have the option of paying the fee, which is the default. You can have them the other party pay it but the default is the sender paying the fee.

Anyhow just a heads up. Looks like sending $$$ through paypal as a gift is no longer free.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Payment for goods definitely gets the fee, not sure about services.

For large ticket items, I usually add the 3% fee onto the price of the item.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
We do all of our transactions through paypal and I pay all of the fees. Well over $1000 in the past 5 months. For me its just part of doing business.

Hmmmm, I just sold some of The Shiftster's via Pay Pal this week (@ $55.00 a pop). What kind of fees am I looking at, and where will they show up?

(btw, I hate P/Pal)........

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Don't like it, don't use it.

Why should they let you use their services for free?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Hmmmm, I just sold some of The Shiftster's via Pay Pal this week (@ $55.00 a pop). What kind of fees am I looking at, and where will they show up?

(btw, I hate P/Pal)........
if I paypal you $55.00 for goods, your paypal balance should be $55 - 3% or what ever it is. they do it automatically for you.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
if I paypal you $55.00 for goods, your paypal balance should be $55 - 3% or what ever it is. they do it automatically for you.

Oh brilliant---they actually charge more than Visa and M/Card? Methinks at this rate, Pay Pal will go the way of the Diner's and Discovery Card.

Amazing.......

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Oh brilliant---they actually charge more than Visa and M/Card? Methinks at this rate, Pay Pal will go the way of the Diner's and Discovery Card.

Amazing.......
I dunno what the rate is, but you can find out with a search on paypals site on fee.s

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
And on a slightly different tangent, I just now put in a change of address with the USPO online. They charge you a buck. No credit card?, no changey-poo online.

Brillianceness, next time I'll be sure to do it in person and tie up one of their over-paid and under-worked employees for an hour asking inane questions and inquiring about their family.........:smokin:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I agree with some others. How are they supposed to make a profit unless they charge. They probably would have left the "gift" feature as is, if so many people wouldn't have abused the system.

And yes, they do charge more than V/MC but what your forgetting about is the steps that are required in setting up a merchant services account that accepts "plastic". If your a business thats one thing but if you're just person looking to buy/sell parts...its not worth the effort. You have to purchase/lease a machine ( not cheap and requires a decent beacon score) and get it directly linked to your account, not your personal checking account mind you, but your business checking account which in turn requires a business license (in my state at least). So paying the additional 1% to be able to send money instantaneously over the web to someone cross country is worth it to me :shrug..... and more than likely the majority of people seeing as how they have continuously grown since creation in early 2000.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I agree with some others. How are they supposed to make a profit unless they charge. They probably would have left the "gift" feature as is, if some many people wouldn't have abused the system.

And yes, they do charge more than V/MC but what your forgetting about is the steps that are required in setting up a merchant services account that accepts "plastic". If your a business thats one thing but if you're just person looking to buy/sell parts...its not worth the effort. You have to purchase/lease a machine ( not cheap and requires a decent beacon score) and get it directly linked to your account, not your personal checking account mind you, but your business checking account which in turn require a business license (in my state at least). So paying the additional 1% to be able to send money instantaneously over the web to someone cross country is worth it to me :shrug..... and more than likely the majority of people seeing as how they have continuously grown since creation in early 2000.
That makes more sense now. And it seems that the bean counters at P/Pal have done their homework well..........

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
They also make a few pennies off the interest from your money between the time it is deposited and then withdrawn x about a gazillion.

I quit when I got to $10K and they locked my account. They wouldn't unlock it unless I gave them access to my bank account or got their credit card.

BYE BYE paypal BYE BYE ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts