Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, I've read a lot about this reroute, but I haven't actually seen a write-up on it.
If there is one, then oh well, now there's 2. There's TSB from Ford about the original way
the PCV valve is routed. Basically the PCV dumps the oil\moisture\etc into the last 2 cylinders,
number 4 and number 8, but mainly number 8 and has caused numerous engine failures.
The TSB has us pull the upper plenum, drill a hole on the passenger side of the plenum, tap it,
and run the PCV valve to the new hole. That was entirely too much work for me, so I
decided to reroute it with the brake booster.
For those that want a link to the TSB, here ya go:
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/Reroute_PVC.pdf

Tools:
Pliers (maybe? if you can't get the hose off with your hands)
Beer

Parts:
About 2.5-3 feet of hose for the PCV (I used 11/32")

To get started, pull your PCV valve, including the hose thats run to the intake Plenum, you can
see the PCV here (you do NOT need to pull your engine to do this).

Save your PCV (or replace it if you want), and throw the stock PCV hose at the dog.
First, let's watch some Discovery Channel, it's mating season for the North American PCV valve:

It appears to have found a mate:

After a very inappropriate mating ritual, you have:

Almost done! head back over to your truck and unplug your brake booster hose from the vacuum tree.
Here's a pic of how it is run normally:

Here it is unplugged:

Run the brake booster hose to the back of the intake plenum (where the PCV hose used
to be plugged into) and plug it in.

Take your new PCV valve\hose combination and plug the end without the PCV valve attached
into the Vacuum tree.

Run the hose around the back of the intake plenum and put the PCV valve back into
your valve cover.

Run into the valve cover, don't mind the RTV, my gromet didn't fit quite right.

Drink beer. Done!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
very nice! I gotta get this done

and nice looking engine bay BTW

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
:rockon..Nice write up and pictures, I think just swapping hoses is a simple easy way to go...I did make a quick video of my re-route on www.supermotors.net/17406 TSB re-route.

A couple of weeks ago I went and checked everything under the FI plenum and found a bit of blowby coming up the hose because the PCV wasn't sitting all the way in the valve cover hole and I didn't like the hose I had on there either, it was larger in diameter and softer and don't know what I was thinking at the time so I took it apart and I had kept the original brake booster hose which was smaller in diameter and harder, it was just long enough to reach up the FI plenum tree nicely and I clamped each end and seems to better.....

I'll check it again today..I used the Motorcraft PCV but did't use the "F" piece on it because I didn't want to struggle getting in that VC hole but the angle of the hose then can make the PCV 'tilt" because there's not enough "bend " in the hose....PITA....you'd think Ford would have left enough clearance under there so it would fit in easily and not struggle or have to lift the plenum up BUT....lol lol

I may go back and use the F piece and try to make it to work that way though I guess you could "grind" off a little aluminum right there for extra clearance ....IDK...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny thing is I'm waiting for my wife to go into labor so we have to goto Springfield (nearest hospital), just so I can goto Harbor Freight and get one. Is that wrong? hahaha

·
Side step it
1,587 Posts
Funny thing is I'm waiting for my wife to go into labor so we have to goto Springfield (nearest hospital), just so I can goto Harbor Freight and get one. Is that wrong? hahaha
Classic! Maybe you can use one of the 20% off coupons at the hospital? :thumbup :histerica :histerica :histerica

:rockon

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Just out of curiosity will this affect the brakes in anyway shape of fashion other than the hose is in a different spot?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiosity will this affect the brakes in anyway shape of fashion other than the hose is in a different spot?
No it wont because the same amount of vacuum is supplied from the rear port in the plenum. The only reason we do this is because the stock PCV vacuum location dumps everything from the PCV into the last 2 cylinders. The new location spreads the oil and such across all the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just hope you did not get the beer from Harbor Freight, good beer goes through me fast enough, i cant thing of what cheep Chines made beer would do to me.
Apparently it'd make you horny. Look how many chinese people there are... :haha

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
:banghead

I looked at my 95's 5.8 and there is a spot in the intake for the hose already. It's not on the backside for some reason. It looks factory. Is this normal?? I grab some pics when my camera charges.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,480 Posts
yes the newer motors have the routing for the PCV hose in a better spot, right next to the main vacuum manifold tree.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,880 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is stopping me or anyone from doing this but instead re-routing it to where the cruise control vacuum line is since I deleted it? (The top vacuum line on the tree...)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Out of curiosity, what is stopping me or anyone from doing this but instead re-routing it to where the cruise control vacuum line is since I deleted it? (The top vacuum line on the tree...)
Nothing; that would work fine as well. Just be sure to cap the original PCV vacuum port on the back of the plenum.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sound's cool, do you know off-hand what's the thread size on the port in the back to cap it off?
The TSB says its 3/8 inch pipe thread, but I haven't checked on mine. Be sure to use Teflon tape.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is what I get for reading this forum daily....

Now I have to run to the parts store again. There's no way I can live another day without performing this reroute! :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,480 Posts
This is what I get for reading this forum daily....

Now I have to run to the parts store again. There's no way I can live another day without performing this reroute! :thumbup
You shouldn't need to, your PCV should already run directly into the main vacuum tree manifold.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.