Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I need to do anything with my pcv or have a valve. At the moment I have a hose coming from the passenger valve cover going into a port that i am pretty sure is #4 cylinder intake runner. There is also a breather on the driver side valve cover with a filter in it. I was wondering if this is fine or if I need a valve of some sort on the pcv. I have edlebrock valve covers if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
yes, you need to go to a fixed orifice PCV that dodge used, and also, recommendation is to put in a catch can so you don't kill cylinder 8

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, you need to go to a fixed orifice PCV that dodge used, and also, recommendation is to put in a catch can so you don't kill cylinder 8
Are you talking about this Mopar Replacement 5175352AA. Also would the Pcv valve have a hose going from it to the catch can and not go in the cylinders at all?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Are you talking about this Mopar Replacement 5175352AA. Also would the Pcv valve have a hose going from it to the catch can and not go in the cylinders at all?
I don't recall the exact part number, but it was in stock at the local o'reilly's. it would go valve cover to PCV to catch can to sniper or intake

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recall the exact part number, but it was in stock at the local o'reilly's. it would go valve cover to PCV to catch can to sniper or intake
Next time I'm in oreillys I'll around for it I suppose. I also have to get a fitting fo the sniper because it does not come with a port on the front of it. Only a plug where one can go. Any recommendations on catch cans.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Next time I'm in oreillys I'll around for it I suppose. I also have to get a fitting fo the sniper because it does not come with a port on the front of it. Only a plug where one can go. Any recommendations on catch cans.
not sure, I've only just started looking to add one onto mine, that'll probably be in the plans within the next week or two though, when I find one I'll post what I went with here.

Reactions: GriffinB

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
So I take it the sniper has no traditional connection for PVC?

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,008 Posts
It does. I'm not sure what everyone is on about in this thread. My pcv is connected from the passenger valve cover and plugs into the front of the sniper near the baseplate. It comes with a plug, you just have to remove it and put on a nipple.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,008 Posts
If you look at OP's pic, you can see the plug. He has a black sniper and the plug is not.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look at OP's pic, you can see the plug. He has a black sniper and the plug is not.
Do you know what thread it is, I think I've looked before can't remember if I ever found what thread pitch it was.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you know what thread it is, I think I've looked before can't remember if I ever found what thread pitch it was.
I don't recall off the top of my head. I think I just took the plug out, went to Napa, and matched it up to something there.

My only suggestion would be to have all of your connections leak free. Your idle will go up with a pcv vs no pcv if there's a bunch of tiny vacuum leaks. I had to fiddle with my pcv valve and the grommet for the valve cover to get it to stop sucking air from under the hood rather than just the crank case.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't recall off the top of my head. I think I just took the plug out, went to Napa, and matched it up to something there.

My only suggestion would be to have all of your connections leak free. Your idle will go up with a pcv vs no pcv if there's a bunch of tiny vacuum leaks. I had to fiddle with my pcv valve and the grommet for the valve cover to get it to stop sucking air from under the hood rather than just the crank case.
K I don't know how all you guys go to napa. Every time I look online when I am in need of a part their prices are through the roof compared to let's say Oreilly's. I buy most of my parts through Rockauto though since it's just so cheap.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,548 Posts
The sniper is Speed Desnity based, with a Wideband for tuning... its is seemingly super sensitive to changes in vacuum especially to get a good idle. This is some of the reason why an open intake works better with the these TBI kits too... The stock ford springy valve tends to fight with the sniper and the sniper gets kind of into an endless correction loop. At least from my experience with the stock ford pcv valve.
I just went to an open breather setup, but the orifice style PCV will give the sniper a constant pcv signal (vacuum), instead of the check valve design that is stock. It tends to operate more consistent as such.
That is all from my own experience, maybe totally off on that and/or I am sure over simplifing the issue.

Reactions: OX1

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
K I don't know how all you guys go to napa. Every time I look online when I am in need of a part their prices are through the roof compared to let's say Oreilly's. I buy most of my parts through Rockauto though since it's just so cheap.
Napa is more expensive when compared to the other chains I have locally to me (o'reilly's, AutoZone, advance auto), but they have more stuff there like all of those pipe fittings and the guys behind the counter at my Napa seem to be more knowledgeable or at least know what I'm looking for if I describe it to them.

Online stuff is almost always cheaper, at least if there's no shipping cost or a reasonable one. I'm looking at you bronco graveyard.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The sniper is Speed Desnity based, with a Wideband for tuning... its is seemingly super sensitive to changes in vacuum especially to get a good idle. This is some of the reason why an open intake works better with the these TBI kits too... The stock ford springy valve tends to fight with the sniper and the sniper gets kind of into an endless correction loop. At least from my experience with the stock ford pcv valve.
I just went to an open breather setup, but the orifice style PCV will give the sniper a constant pcv signal (vacuum), instead of the check valve design that is stock. It tends to operate more consistent as such.
That is all from my own experience, maybe totally off on that and/or I am sure over simplifing the issue.
This guy is talking about what you are saying, so I'm sure it holds merit. I haven't seemed to have any issues with my stock Ford style pcv. That or it's small enough of an issue that I do not notice it.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
430 Posts
Napa is more expensive when compared to the other chains I have locally to me (o'reilly's, AutoZone, advance auto), but they have more stuff there like all of those pipe fittings and the guys behind the counter at my Napa seem to be more knowledgeable or at least know what I'm looking for if I describe it to them.

Online stuff is almost always cheaper, at least if there's no shipping cost or a reasonable one. I'm looking at you bronco graveyard.
This. I've had good luck at every Napa I've been to. They seem to hire people who are relatively knowledgeable and helpful. The guys at the other shops are hit or miss with a lot of miss. Also Napa has more real parts where O'Reilly's tends to have things like pre packaged lengths of fuel line instead of bulk rolls they will cut to length etc. Do the other shops have a paint department? My local Napa can take the Ford color codes and mix color matched spray paint for me. Because they help me out I tend to reward them by buying local there. I still walk away when they are rediculous like asking 4x as much for basic lug nuts as I could get them at Summit.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This. I've had good luck at every Napa I've been to. They seem to hire people who are relatively knowledgeable and helpful. The guys at the other shops are hit or miss with a lot of miss. Also Napa has more real parts where O'Reilly's tends to have things like pre packaged lengths of fuel line instead of bulk rolls they will cut to length etc. Do the other shops have a paint department? My local Napa can take the Ford color codes and mix color matched spray paint for me. Because they help me out I tend to reward them by buying local there. I still walk away when they are rediculous like asking 4x as much for basic lug nuts as I could get them at Summit.
I can get you with the pain. Though at my local Oreilly's they are quite knowledgeable, but I also live somewhat in the country. My store also does cut to length fuel lines. I also never go up to the counter asking for help. I always look online and make sure that they have it, not necessarily available but carry it. So if I need something from the back I just say give me this part number and they get it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Auto zone is a bunch of teenagers they hired off the street.
Advanced are a bunch of teenagers that have actually seen a car before.
O'reilly's is a bunch of 20 somethings that are car nuts.
Napa is a bunch of salty old men who've been turning wrenches since the model A came out.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Move you PVC to # 5 and the breather to #4 like it was when it came from the factory, pvc above # 4 will suck up oil because the drain back to pan is right there, above # 5 the drain back starts and ends at # 8. I had issues with this and looking at some old picture I moved my pvc and breather, now no issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts