Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 bronco with the 5.0 5 speed and 60k on the clock. i will need new tires this spring and i am somewhat interested in putting on smaller tires, ok dont shoot me hear me out. now i have 31-10.5" on my truck and it is a dog in the mountains. i rarely go 4 wheelin except for camping and fishing. a lot of the time i am hauling 5 people and snowboarding gear up 14,000 ft mountin passes and the bronk is a bit of a dog. i was wondering if i were to make the switch back to stock 235/75/15's or maybe 30-9.50's would that make much of a difference. i have done the math and my speedo with the 31's is about 7% off. any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. i also plan on pulling a snowmobile trailer next year and would like to know if getting a little gear back would help... :beer

thanks guys!

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i would stick with 31s and get a good exhaust and intake, so your engine can breath better. and 14000 feet is pretty high, just about everything is a dog that high when it has 5 people plus gear in the back.

·
Registered
470 Posts
235/75's probably wouldn't hurt. You're not going to loose hardly any ground clearance so it is pretty much up to you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look of 31's on the bronco, now they are all terrain no name tires i was wonering if i ran a mud tire or goodyear mtr it may make them look a little bigger?

what exhaust would be good for my driving habit?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I really, really don't see you getting any significant power out of a catback on a Bronco. The biggest restriction is in the cats, and you're not doing anything for that.

14k is damn high. My little 302 is a dog up there too... as are most NA motors. Pull it down into 3rd and let it spin.

If you *need* new tires, it might be worth going down a size... I know mine ran like a raped ape on 29s and 4.10s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow 29's and 410's hope you has o.d. like i said the tires need to be replaced. i was just toying with the idea of running 30-9.50's those seem to be right in the middle between 31's and the stock 235/ 75/ 15's

byron

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
it's just the altitude Bro .. intake kit and regear it if it means that much to you :shrug

where are you located? ........ I'm from Colorado so I know 14k passes quite well :thumbup

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would keep the 31's and re-gear. If you're carrying that much weight and altitude you will bog down even with stock 29's.

I had the same problem with my new 33's going over Sonora Pass in the Sierras. I had stock 3.55's and I barely made it over the summit. I re-geared to 4.10's and now have leftover RPM's.

It's not cheap to re-gear unless you do it yourself. Cost me about $1600 at 4WP with warranty.

If you are loaded down a lot, I would go with 4.10 gears and 31" tires. It will rev a little high but you will have plenty of power.

You're better off with the bigger (wider) tires. They give a little more stability to the top heavy Broncs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah, but why spend $1600 for new gears when he could just pull the transmission down a gear or two? The end result is the same, and we're not talking about power around town, so I don't see him needing more bottom end power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You have a point-- because he has a 5 speed, but in mt case my 3 speed auto, even in 1st gear, there just weren't enough RPM's to move it.
If it's drastic enough, it won't matter how low geared your tranny is if your rear end doesn't allow the engine to rev.
Does that make sense?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the 351 would help. i am always traveling between gunnison and denver (about 200 miles) almost twice a month. the main pass that i use (DAMAGER) IS MONARCH. it is near about 12,000 feet.

thannks for the tips guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts